BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

05-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Cell phone question

I really hate my iPhone and wanna try a new phone. I love the Evo 4g thats coming out and also the HTC HD2. Problem is both of these aren't available on AT&T. Any one know how I can get em and have them work?

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Switch to TMobile/Sprint. Probobly the only way.

I'd say you are going to run into CDMA vs. GSM issues pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

not possible to hate the iPhone, you must be mistaken
      05-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

The new iphone is coming out in about 2 months. Its going to be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

They are on different networks using different protocols (GSM vs. CDMA). You need to switch to Sprint to get the Evo 4G.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
iPhone's are for people that want to make calls and play games and watch movies.

It's a great device but it's geared toward a different segment of the market.

BlackBerry is a real business tool, with patented push e-mail (Apple claims push email but we all know it's far from that), solid technology, world-band capability, it's just a great great phone in every regard.

I'll never use another phone, I've had every generation of BlackBerry since they had monochromatic screens.

It's just the best smartphone in the world. No questions.

I don't need to play games and listen to my iPod, I need a device that's always reliable, doesn't crash, doesn't need to updated via iTunes every month because of some new bug or new security hole Apple is closing, works on multiple GSM/3G networks, and many more.

And at the end of the day, it's not limited to the WORST mobile network in the world AT&T.

I do have an iPod touch as my iPod but you couldn't pay me to use an iPhone for my business and telephone needs.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From re-reading your post, you seem like someone who's not interested in a purely-business device, rather a multimedia-entertainment device. The HTC Incredible is gorgeous, I'm sure the new iPhone will be great, you can unlock any phone - it doesn't matter the carrier or the subsidy.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
From re-reading your post, you seem like someone who's not interested in a purely-business device, rather a multimedia-entertainment device. The HTC Incredible is gorgeous, I'm sure the new iPhone will be great, you can unlock any phone - it doesn't matter the carrier or the subsidy.
Ya I don't need the games and stuff. All I use on my iPhone is text, email, maps, and ipod. I can live without the rest.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
iPhone's are for people that want to make calls and play games and watch movies.

BlackBerry is a real business tool, with patented push e-mail (Apple claims push email but we all know it's far from that), solid technology, world-band capability, it's just a great great phone in every regard.

I'll never use another phone, I've had every generation of BlackBerry since they had monochromatic screens.

I don't need to play games and listen to my iPod, I need a device that's always reliable, doesn't crash, doesn't need to updated via iTunes every month because of some new bug or new security hole Apple is closing, works on multiple GSM/3G networks, and many more.

And at the end of the day, it's not limited to the WORST mobile network in the world AT&T.

I do have an iPod touch as my iPod but you couldn't pay me to use an iPhone for my business and telephone needs.
wow dude, two updates on 3.0 in one year. try not exaggerating that much. The hate is self evident enough.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
to the OP, if you really are unhappy with your iPhone pick up a Nexus One for AT&T. Google pulled their online store due to the monumental failure it was but either At&T stores, craigslist or most probably Ebay is your best bet.

You can use an N1 from tmobile on att but you wont have 3g coverage. So if you use internet best to find an official att N1.

Good luck. You'll be back though, most that leave always do.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
You can use an N1 from tmobile on att but you wont have 3g coverage. So if you use internet best to find an official att N1.
T-Mobile has 3G, don't speak nonsense. Nexus One isn't all that, get the HTC Incredible if you want a really nice phone that is along the lines of a multi-media toy like the iPhone.

I have all of these phones on my desk, my job requires that I know them inside and out.

Quote:
Good luck. You'll be back though, most that leave always do.
Fanboy
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Ya I don't need the games and stuff. All I use on my iPhone is text, email, maps, and ipod. I can live without the rest.
Get the new BlackBerry Bold 9700.
  • 3G access
  • WiFi (UMA calling that NO OTHER CARRIER has, you don't have to pay roaming charges when traveling abroad, just use the UMA over WiFi)
  • Best e-mail technology in the world (BlackBerry Push) no question
  • Stick a 16GB Class 4 MicroSD card in there (load movies, music, pictures - read/write times are actually faster than an iPhone 3GS on a Class 4 card)
  • Google Maps is great
  • Full HTML browser (supports Flash, Apple is still ignorant in that regard)
  • 3.2 Megapixel Camera (gorgeous pictures)
  • Lot's of great apps to download (albeit not as many as the App Store, but 75% of the apps on there are pure crap)
Try it out, if you don't like it HTC Incredible - or whatever they release next month. Every month, there's a new HTC device. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
T-Mobile has 3G, don't speak nonsense. Nexus One isn't all that, get the HTC Incredible if you want a really nice phone that is along the lines of a multi-media toy like the iPhone.
T-Mobile uses a different frequency for their 3G service then AT&T.That is why if you jailbreak an iPhone to T-Mobile you can't get 3G because the iPhone's hardware doesn't support T-Mobiles frequency.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:

I have all of these phones on my desk, my job requires that I know them inside and out.

Fanboy
The post says that a tmobile n1 won't work on AT&Ts 3g network, nowhere does it say tmobile doesn't have 3g.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

ITT: lots of people expressing their opinions as if they were fact.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:

I will disagree with a few points, the Blackberry devices have generally been terrible phones. I've had 4-5 different versions, also dating back to the monochrome days, and it has always been an email device first, a phone distant second, and a web browser, well, not at all. I'm currently using a Blackberry Tour 9630 (Verizon) for work, and I very much prefer my iPhone for just about everything. I carry both at the same time for the work day, then leave the Blackberry in the office on nights and weekends.

If I'm on the road and need to map something, find a restaurant, check flight status or a whole host of other tasks, the iPhone wins hands down. The mapping on the Blackberry, either the native app or the Google add-on have led me astray a few times as well, while the iPhone has not. If I need to blast off an email with correctly spelling, punctuation and structure, the Blackberry is only marginally faster than the iPhone.

The Blackberry does win on wireless sync for calendars (even with the crappy Lotus Notes we use at work, ugh...) and stomps the crap out of iPhone on battery life. That is not to say the iPhone is the greatest smartphone, it certainly has its issues as well. iPhone's handling of mail (lack of attachment capability being the biggest one, plus folders) is a huge miss on Apple parts in my opinion. I think it also suffers from Blackberry-itis in that it isn't a great phone, but does other things pretty well. But if I could dump my Blackberry and just use my iPhone, I certainly would.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red

Last edited by scollins; 05-28-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I will disagree with a few points, the Blackberry devices have generally been terrible phones. I've had 4-5 different versions, also dating back to the monochrome days, and it has always been an email device first, a phone distant second, and a web browser, well, not at all. I'm currently using a Blackberry Tour 9630 (Verizon) for work, and I very much prefer my iPhone for just about everything. I carry both at the same time for the work day, then leave the Blackberry in the office on nights and weekends.

If I'm on the road and need to map something, find a restaurant, check flight status or a whole host of other tasks, the iPhone wins hands down. The mapping on the Blackberry, either the native app or the Google add-on have led me astray a few times as well, while the iPhone has not. If I need to blast off an email with correctly spelling, punctuation and structure, the Blackberry is only marginally faster than the iPhone.

The Blackberry does win on wireless sync for calendars (even with the crappy Lotus Notes we use at work, ugh...) and stomps the crap out of iPhone on battery life. That is not to say the iPhone is the greatest smartphone, it certainly has its issues as well. iPhone's handling of mail (lack of attachment capability being the biggest one, plus folders) is a huge miss on Apple parts in my opinion. I think it also suffers from Blackberry-itis in that it isn't a great phone, but does other things pretty well. But if I could dump my Blackberry and just use my iPhone, I certainly would.
The BlackBerry Tour is the worst BlackBerry they've ever made. The BlackBerry OS was never intended to be a touchscreen GUI.

BlackBerry kills every phone when it comes to email. This is a fact whether users admit it or not. Sending, receiving, storing, organizing, dealing with attachments (pdf's, word, ppt, xls, etc.) it is in a league of its own.

You use Lotus Notes? Welcome to 1992 I guess

iPhone DOES NOT have better battery life than a Bold or Curve (maybe your Storm, but again that's a fail device from RIM). I can't believe you even just said that. LOL

BlackBerry can wirelessly calendars with Google sync - most people just plug it into their systems at the office or wherever to sync with Outlook.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
scollins
Rep

Quote:
The BlackBerry Tour is the worst BlackBerry they've ever made. The BlackBerry OS was never intended to be a touchscreen GUI.
Tour is not a touchscreen...... Standard BB form factor.

Quote:
BlackBerry kills every phone when it comes to email. This is a fact whether users admit it or not. Sending, receiving, storing, organizing, dealing with attachments (pdf's, word, ppt, xls, etc.) it is in a league of its own.

You use Lotus Notes? Welcome to 1992 I guess
It gets better, we just upgraded from Win2000 to XP!!

Quote:

iPhone DOES NOT have better battery life than a Bold or Curve (maybe your Storm, but again that's a fail device from RIM). I can't believe you even just said that. LOL
reading is fundamental. I said the battery life on BB stomps the iPhone....
Quote:
BlackBerry can wirelessly calendars with Google sync - most people just plug it into their systems at the office or wherever to sync with Outlook.
At work we have BB enterprise server, but for those that don't, this would work for them.

So on most things, we seem to agree!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
scollins, I've been fighting the flu so I've been missing posts here and there

I thought you were referring to the Storm

Congrats on your Win XP upgrade - My entire organization skipped Vista and went straight to Win 7 64-bit, couldn't be happier. Finally a solid OS from Microsoft.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #20
scollins
Rep

Quote:
scollins, I've been fighting the flu so I've been missing posts here and there

I thought you were referring to the Storm

Congrats on your Win XP upgrade - My entire organization skipped Vista and went straight to Win 7 64-bit, couldn't be happier. Finally a solid OS from Microsoft.
No worries, we'll blame it on the NyQuil....

Yeah, our company is a little weird with technology. We are quite a bit behind the times. I keep having issues with PowerPoint and Excel, only because we are running 2002. We blame the backward-ness on the Dutch though (parent company HQ...)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

I went through 13 iPhones, finally I ended up dumping AT&T and went to Verizon, got the Droid and love, not 1 issue since november.
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0