BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #67
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
You could say the same thing about a Dodge Stratus. That means absolutely nothing. Please locate me a brand new Z06 for $20k off MSRP. I've got a buddy on the market for one, and have seen nothing of the sort. The only thing close was the $10k off when GM was running their employee pricing promotion, which is long gone now.
I was talking about during the Gm pricing, as that was when I was looking at purchasing a new car. There was still negotiation room, but you have to know how to negotiate... You can negotiate some rally good deals on a z06 from many dealer right now, as a dealer near me has around 20 of them that have been sitting there for several months....

Quote:
With MSRP starting at $74k (no options), thats still $54k, which is still a big jump from an optioned out 1 series. You are going to strip the interior extensively for those "few hundred pounds", and the Z06 is still lighter. The Z06 is still putting out more power than your modded 1 series. Take into consideration, you've blown your warranty, and the Z06 is still has plenty of room for modding, while you're nearing the end of the rope. It's really not even a contest. You'd be putting in $20k to get comparable performance with a STOCK Z06. It's true GM interiors of the past have been horrible, but they aren't that bad in the C6, and you're talking about stripping the interior of a 1 series anyway so that point is moot. How in the world could you think that a 135i modded to keep up with a Z06 with a track suspension, R compound, and a few hundred lbs of weight reduction (i.e. no interior), is going to be more comfortable than a stock vette on the street? Thats bordering on insanity.
No, I was not going to strip out the 135i, I was going to do a series of lightweight replacement pieces, which add up very quickly. The stock 135i tested in at 3,399lbs. The corvette Z06 weighed in at 3,222 (Edmunds was used for both figures). that leaves me with a 177lbs to cut to become equal in weight, which is not hard to do. You put a braille battery in, that 35lbs in savings. You get rid of the heavy stock wheels and tires, that's another 30lbs. you replace the stock hood and trunk, that's easily 50 lbs. you can save another 40 lbs by putting Recaro pole position seats in (BMW performance seats). upgraded suspension components will save another 10 lbs. replace the glass on the sunroof with cf, that saves 22 lbs. If my math is correct, that would make it 10 lbs lighter than a Z06 while keeping a full interior... It is easily possible, so try to know what you are talking about before opening your mouth...I probably wont take it to this extreme, but it proves a point

Quote:
As far as reliablity issues, a new model always has issues that just can't be duplicated in a controlled environment with very few test mules. No car/manufacturer is immune, and certainly not the N54, but the Corvette, and the LS engine in general have been very reliable. The Corvette isn't everyone's cup of tea, but its performance per dollar, amongst its entire model line, is one of the greatest bargains in the entire automotive industry. Considering how much a Z06 will rape an M3 around a track, I'd love to see your stock block (w/ upgraded turbos of course), R compound, magic track suspension, and interior delete mod, does against a stock Z06. R compound should be a given on both cars around a track.
I have to agree that there are issues that are unforeseeable, but when you have designed the roof so poorly that it can fall off, it is piss poor engineering... If you need to weld the car roof to the car, do it. How did they manage to take a component of the car that is usually structural, and make it so that it falls off the car?

Quote:
And stop switching between prices. You're throwing around $80k when trying to relate a heavyily modded 135i to compete against a stock Z06, but then mention they are in the same price ($45-50k) range when you were cross shopping them.
No, I said that I could buy either of them, I would have financed the z06, as they were have 0% financing as well... I was cross shopping them, not saying they are in the smae price range. It was brought up by the Focus driver that apparently everyone that drives a 1 series pays 35k for one, and that their is no way that I could afford a z06. which is when I brought up that there are options, and that just because I bought a 46k dollar car, doesn't mean that I couldn't afford a more expensive car...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #68
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Damn, the OP just burned all of the haters, and proved his case in a single post... That doesn't look like Bullshit to me
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #69
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
wow, he just owned all of us
Nice job OP
Hahaha, im sorry, but i had to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Damn, the OP just burned all of the haters, and proved his case in a single post... That doesn't look like Bullshit to me
Thank yall for taking the ownage so well
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #70
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

damn yall got nutted on
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #71
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarE36 View Post
If you put that much money into a 1er, it would be about the price (take your pick) of a ford GT or a ZR1 which a 1er would never destroy. Even if the zr1s roof did fall off + they look cooler.
Wait 5 years, and the 135i/335i will be the next tuner car like the supra, but it will handle amazing... Berk technologies car is already very fast around the track, and it does not have that much power. You take a car like theirs, and make it 450+ whp, it is going to be insane

Quote:
Oh, and no matter how ironic it is since the roof fell off, the C6 Z06 does not feel like a piece of shit, ive had the opportunity to drive a pretty wide variety of sports cars, and the z06 just may be the most thrilling car i have ever driven. Not only does it accelerate like a rocket, but it corners incredibly ( i will agree steering is a little number then id hope for ) but its
no worse then the new bmws ive driven. Fact is, that car was built to go fast, even if it had to sacrifice steering feel and comfort, not many cars can compete with that thing.
When I drove one, it felt like a piece of shit to me. It felt like a huge car, It felt like a very heavy car to me when going around the corners, and overall felt very over sized and poorly designed. It definitely felt very good in the corners in terms of grip, but I did not like the way it felt in terms of feeling calm and confident, which My previous Boxster s Did (granted it had factory upgraded suspension from being a limited edition)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #72
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank yall for taking the ownage so well
LOL, read my post...I was saying that this definitely happened from the beginning as I have had a friend with a similar story... I definitely agree that that was one of the biggest instances of ownage I have seen in a while on this forum
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #73
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Good catch, guys. I figured this guy was just trolling. A guy like that can't handle a Z06 anyway.
Oh cant I, you sir, have just be owned.

this has been an interesting case of mistaken identity, the so called "troll" is really the victim of the trolling.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #74
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

wow rcracertx..

you seriously can't be calling the z06 a piece of shit. you clearly know nothing at all. ii can't believe you are saying that a 135 will out perform a z06. A 135 wont out perform a base c6.
      03-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #75
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Lame. I thought there was something funny when he said he "Just ordered a CTS-V". Hm... if he just ordered one, it would need to be a 2010 model. That's like a $60k+ car, correct? He currently drives an E36 M3.... while it's possible he just likes that car, going from an E36 to a $60,000 not-out-yet M5 beater is a pretty big jump.
Hahaha, doubt me now bitches. and yes i will bring this up when i take delivery of my new CTS-V
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #76
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Oh cant I, you sir, have just be owned.

this has been an interesting case of mistaken identity, the so called "troll" is really the victim of the trolling.
wow.

chode slapped.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #77
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait 5 years, and the 135i/335i will be the next tuner car like the supra, but it will handle amazing?
so your saying you will have to wait 5 years for your car to handle amazing? just playing. the 1 series is a great car but i just can't get over your comparing it to a z06.
      03-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #78
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
How is the guy trolling? Wtf why would anyone even bother posting a story like this to bs people? I dunno. If he's BS'ing then I'm not picking up on it, but I don't see why he would. You all need to chill.
And i wonna hug this guy for not thinking i was looking for ----
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
"internet-cred"
thanks for thinking that i was not inherently a db

and sorry ive been bashing you guys, but you haters had a full page
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #79
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
wow rcracertx..

you seriously can't be calling the z06 a piece of shit. you clearly know nothing at all. ii can't believe you are saying that a 135 will out perform a z06. A 135 wont out perform a base c6.
Obviously you have not read the thread... My point was if you had 80k to build a 135i, including the cost of the car, it would beat a stock Z06... You put 35k into a 135i in mods, It will definitely beat a Z06...If you do not believe that, you know nothing about cars...

If you saw how poor the stock suspension is, you would realize that a car that performed this well with it has a huge potential with upgrades... Now take away 200 lbs, and add 200whp... Not exactly the same performance as stock anymore, is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #80
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obviously you have not read the thread... My point was if you had 80k to build a 135i, including the cost of the car, it would beat a z06... You put 35k into a 135i in mods, It will definitely beat a zo6...If you do not believe that, you know nothing about cars...
obviously that is easily acheviable, but you were saying that z06 were getting 20k knocked off, so that puts it down to 55000. and you paind 46,000. so that is nine thousand in my books. that aint happening with 9k
      03-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #81
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

IMO arguing about modified cars vs stock cars is pointless (when you are talking about putting a tens of thousands of dollars into it). For that amount of money, you can always find an old japanese car for 8000 and mod it. You could even decide to do an engine, tranny, and brake swap and the price will still come under 30k.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #82
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #83
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
I was talking about during the Gm pricing, as that was when I was looking at purchasing a new car. There was still negotiation room, but you have to know how to negotiate... You can negotiate some rally good deals on a z06 from many dealer right now, as a dealer near me has around 20 of them that have been sitting there for several months....

$10k of negotiation room after, $10k off. Show me 1. And don't talk to me about your hypothetically super sweet negotiation skills. And currently there's no $10k off, just $2k or 0% APR. Just some FYI, used C6 Z06's are still at $45k on up

No, I was not going to strip out the 135i, I was going to do a series of lightweight replacement pieces, which add up very quickly. The stock 135i tested in at 3,399lbs. The corvette Z06 weighed in at 3,222 (Edmunds was used for both figures). that leaves me with a 177lbs to cut to become equal in weight, which is not hard to do. You put a braille battery in, that 35lbs in savings. You get rid of the heavy stock wheels and tires, that's another 30lbs. you replace the stock hood and trunk, that's easily 50 lbs. you can save another 40 lbs by putting Recaro pole position seats in (BMW performance seats). upgraded suspension components will save another 10 lbs. replace the glass on the sunroof with cf, that saves 22 lbs. If my math is correct, that would make it 10 lbs lighter than a Z06 while keeping a full interior... It is easily possible, so try to know what you are talking about before opening your mouth...I probably wont take it to this extreme, but it proves a point

You said a "few hundred pounds" not 177. Everything I've seen puts the Z06 around 3150lbs. As far as your math, its not correct, its optimistic at best. You make it sound easy, we don't need to bicker back and forth about it, just show me some before and after proof.

I have to agree that there are issues that are unforeseeable, but when you have designed the roof so poorly that it can fall off, it is piss poor engineering... If you need to weld the car roof to the car, do it. How did they manage to take a component of the car that is usually structural, and make it so that it falls off the car?

It might be a structural piece, but its removable on all other models, similar to a strut bar, or some other chassi strengthening "attached" piece. A glued in piece came loose, a problem was identified, recalled and fixed. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, I said that I could buy either of them, I would have financed the z06, as they were have 0% financing as well... I was cross shopping them, not saying they are in the smae price range. It was brought up by the Focus driver that apparently everyone that drives a 1 series pays 35k for one, and that their is no way that I could afford a z06. which is when I brought up that there are options, and that just because I bought a 46k dollar car, doesn't mean that I couldn't afford a more expensive car...

I don't remember Employee pricing ($10k off) plus 0% APR being offered together. It was 1 or the other. You could drive a Yugo, that doesn't mean you can't afford a Z06. What's questionable is who, cross shops a Z06 with a 135i. BMW has several other models that are much closer in terms of price and performance. What most people will conclude, including myself, is that you chose the 135i because it was cheaper, no matter what you "could" afford.

Enough of the nonsense, do any of the things you said you will do. Such as:
1. Beat a Z06 around a track with a driver of similar skill in a 135i
2. Show some before and after of you shaving "a few hundered pounds" with a full interior
3. Show me a dealership willing to sell a new Z06 for $20k off
4. Stop being a fanboi when you come over here, or stay over on 1addicts where your stupidity will go unquestioned

Well you didn't actually say you would do #4, I just added that in for fun, but I hope you take it seriously.
      03-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #84
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
obviously that is easily acheviable, but you were saying that z06 were getting 20k knocked off, so that puts it down to 55000. and you paind 46,000. so that is nine thousand in my books. that aint happening with 9k
I was talking about msrp to msrp... They don't have as much of the ridiculous deals like they had, but you can still get a decent amount off, but you can with the 135i too... and my car has every option except PDC and active steering, which are not available on the z06. If you make the z06 loaded like my car is, it would be around 83k, which would mean that it would be closer to 38k to mod...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #85
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Wait 5 years, and the 135i/335i will be the next tuner car like the supra, but it will handle amazing... Berk technologies car is already very fast around the track, and it does not have that much power. You take a car like theirs, and make it 450+ whp, it is going to be insane
"You know what? This will decimate all... after we put about fifteen grand or more under the hood. If we have to, overnight some parts from Japan."

You Sir, are the epitome of a ricer
      03-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #86
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

you two need to stop bickering, clearly you both have different opinions, just leave it that.

That being said, ill throw in my two cents, and ill say that my e36 m3 has fairly similar performance to a 135i.

The z06 chassis was built basically as a race car chassis, it is unbelievably rigid, extremely light, and extremely powerful.

I think it would be hard to make a car built on the e82 chassis to beat a z06 ( a race-car for the street ) Its just not built to be so fast.

Just my two cents, dont take it as a slight to the car though, they are apples and oranges.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #87
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"You know what? This will decimate all... after we put about fifteen grand or more under the hood. If we have to, overnight some parts from Japan."

You Sir, are the epitome of a ricer
Yes, I think a couple of the 1000+ whp supras that we built when I was working at a car shop would decimate all in a straight line, and the rx7's as well... But you look at the direction the n54 is going, it is a matter of time before we start seeing supra type numbers, but in a car that can handle well, and is lighter... Imagine how that would do at a track, but with twins that would have decent spool. 600-700 hp, and a usable power band would be a z06 killer, and nobody can deny that...

I think everyone would agree that the supra is a tuners dream, and is a very respectable car and puts out extremely fast 1/4 miles, as well as top speed awards... look at Texas mile, no domestic, including the viper could touch the fastest supra, even the ones that were twin turbo'd, and made over a thousand HP....

Quote:
I don't remember Employee pricing ($10k off) plus 0% APR being offered together. It was 1 or the other. You could drive a Yugo, that doesn't mean you can't afford a Z06. What's questionable is who, cross shops a Z06 with a 135i. BMW has several other models that are much closer in terms of price and performance. What most people will conclude, including myself, is that you chose the 135i because it was cheaper, no matter what you "could" afford.

Enough of the nonsense, do any of the things you said you will do. Such as:
1. Beat a Z06 around a track with a driver of similar skill in a 135i
2. Show some before and after of you shaving "a few hundered pounds" with a full interior
3. Show me a dealership willing to sell a new Z06 for $20k off
4. Stop being a fanboi when you come over here, or stay over on 1addicts where your stupidity will go unquestioned

Well you didn't actually say you would do #4, I just added that in for fun, but I hope you take it seriously.
1.) will do if I decide to go this extreme on the car...
2.) Did you not look at the post where I clearly labeled the parts that you can use to do it, and the amount of weight savings of the pieces... You can save another 5-10lbs with the BMW performance rotors, and save almost 60 lbs by going with a full riss racing exhaust.. now it's more than a couple hundred, as a couple hundred is 200 lbs or more, and the parts listed gives a weight saving of over that...Yous good at dat math thang, aint u boi
3.) What a fucking stupid question, Dealerships will not openly give the max someone can get off of a car, that is where negotiations begin... Just like no dealer will advertise giving invoice pricing on a BMW... It also helps that one of my uncles best friends owns a dealership
4.) Not a fan boy, fuck off... I'm not saying that BMW makes the best cars ever, I am saying with enough mods, it will beat a Z06.

The CURB WEIGHTS from Edmunds:

"The 2007 Chevy Corvette Z06 is nearly as impressive: 7.0-liter V8, 505 hp, 470 lb-ft of torque and 3,222 pounds. Or, to put it another way, a sports car with a power-to-weight ratio marginally better than a full-blown monster truck. A very serious machine."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=122700

"As compact as it is, the new 135i is no lightweight. It's still a full-featured premium piece, and it shows evidence of the mass that comes from 20 years of safety advances plus the "must-have" thinking about convenience features that shapes the thinking of product planners everywhere. Our test car tips the scales to the tune of 3,399 pounds"

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125217

I think you should know what the fuck your talking about before trying to call someone out.. I'm done arguing with people who know nothing about tuning and weight savings. Besides, they seem to be ill equipped from an intellectual standpoint to understand the possibilities of tuning anyways...

Last edited by rcracer_tx; 03-02-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #88
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
I'll give you credit for posting pics of a roofless Z06 even though you didn't even know what model year you were driving, but I still stand by my statement about not being able to handle the car. Look at the first pic. Either you got your little sister to hold that paper or (more likely) you just have very girly hands. No way hands like that can tame a beast like to Z06. Until you post a vid of yourself in a Z06 lapping the Nurburgring in under 8 mins, my statement stands.
You judge him by his hands?
He could be a beast of a driver for all we know.