BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

07-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

De-badging

This may seem like a silly question, but I had to ask because I haven't done this to any of my cars. I did a search on this topic, but really couldn't find any info to satify my curiosity so here goes...

Does de-badging a car take away from it's residual value?

Does de-badging a car hurt it's resale value?

I only ask because I have been strongly considering taking the "Xdrive" and "650i" badges off my car, but I don't want to have to deal with nonsense in three-four years when it's time to switch cars.

De-badging a car might not have any impact whatsoever, but I don't want some dealer telling me I ruined the car, or if I sell privately, someone trying to undercut the price because the car is not boasting it's particular model.

I would not remove the Roundels at all, just the badges I mentioned above...

Any thoughts and or experience with this matter would be appreciated.
      07-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It won't effect anything. I pulled the xDrive 35i badges from our X1, they just looked out of place. I still have them, stuck to a piece of wax paper if someone wants to put them back on later. There are templates for proper placement should you ever want to put them back on in the correct place.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

its just a badge.
      07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It won't effect anything. I pulled the xDrive 35i badges from our X1, they just looked out of place. I still have them, stuck to a piece of wax paper if someone wants to put them back on later. There are templates for proper placement should you ever want to put them back on in the correct place.
Nice! Thanks for sharing that. It is definitely a good idea to store the badges, as they can be reapplied if need be. Then nobody would be the wiser.

Did you remove them yourself, or did you have it done professionally...?
      07-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
its just a badge.
I hear ya... problem is, in my general locale, because everyone is trying to get one over he next guy, I can already hear (especially a dealership) saying "oh no, the badges are missing, so unfortunately we cannot take your trade-in at it's full value" lol.
      07-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I hear ya... problem is, in my general locale, because everyone is trying to get one over he next guy, I can already hear (especially a dealership) saying "oh no, the badges are missing, so unfortunately we cannot take your trade-in at it's full value" lol.
They are double sided tape and can be easily repurchased or retaped on, so don't worry : )
      07-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yep, you can pull them off yourself. Leave the car in the sun or use a hair dryer and they come right off. I used a little 3M Adhesive Remover to wipe off the little bit of glue left over, but you can also use rubbing alcohol.

I had a friend with an E39 M5 with 528i badges on it, it surely kept a few yokels from trying to race him and probably surprised the hell out of folks who just thought it was a 528i.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yep, you can pull them off yourself. Leave the car in the sun or use a hair dryer and they come right off. I used a little 3M Adhesive Remover to wipe off the little bit of glue left over, but you can also use rubbing alcohol.

I had a friend with an E39 M5 with 528i badges on it, it surely kept a few yokels from trying to race him and probably surprised the hell out of folks who just thought it was a 528i.
That is hilarious! A wolf in sheeps clothing. Classic.

Thanks for the tip. I will follow the same method you used to remove them.

Cheers to a clean backside! (for cars and ladies only, lol)
      07-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

De-badging engine/model badges does nothing for resale value, it plays no role. It is a free option from factory. Just in case you de-badge be careful not to scratch the paint and then clean glue with some spirit.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

no, if I debadge my M3, what someone's gonna think it's a 328i when they buy it?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
nah, that's BS, then you go straight to the part counter, buy your OEM badges and stick them on with 3M double sided tape. Apparantly if you buy the M6 badges, it increases value of the car :
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
Quote:
nah, that's BS, then you go straight to the part counter, buy your OEM badges and stick them on with 3M double sided tape. Apparantly if you buy the M6 badges, it increases value of the car :
Lol, thst does seem to be the thought process for some car owners out there... I have seen many 3s, 5s, 6s, and yes even a 7 series with M badges, when with a quick glance you can clearly see that it is not an actual M version.

Seen a couple non AMGs trying to bump up their sticker price with an added badge, lol

Not for me though. I earned enough badges over the years. I just want to clean up the rear of one of my favorite toys, that's all.
Thanks for all the feedback fellas. I will delete my badges this weekend.
      07-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
no, if I debadge my M3, what someone's gonna think it's a 328i when they buy it?
LOL

You know what I thought? I was just "dreaming" about the new M3 F80, and though if would debadge it so that it must not have any single ///M badge. Why? Because I would want my M car to be something special, and indeed without M badge it will be special, when all other 328i/335i/etc. F30 have M badges.

Quote:
Lol, thst does seem to be the thought process for some car owners out there... I have seen many 3s, 5s, 6s, and yes even a 7 series with M badges, when with a quick glance you can clearly see that it is not an actual M version.

Seen a couple non AMGs trying to bump up their sticker price with an added badge, lol

Not for me though. I earned enough badges over the years. I just want to clean up the rear of one of my favorite toys, that's all.
LOL

Look at this. Some paying extra that is must not look like AMG.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11301195...s-line-package
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
LOL

You know what I thought? I was just "dreaming" about the new M3 F80, and though if would debadge it so that it must not have any single ///M badge. Why? Because I would want my M car to be something special, and indeed without M badge it will be special, when all other 328i/335i/etc. F30 have M badges.

Quote:

LOL

Look at this. Some paying extra that is must not look like AMG.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11301195...s-line-package
Lol, nice find! Funny how the signs of the times changes over the years. From 2000-2010, it was all about badges and showboating. Now that most cars that excel in performance have badges and kits that can be spotted a mile away, now most of us want to conceal the beast within.

Similar to the shadowline trim vs chrome trim. Last two decades, most car models had chrome window trim around the Windows of their "top of the line version". Now it's all about shadowline.

Case in point, my 2009 X6 35i had shadowline trim cause I ordered the sport package when I place the order. On two separate occasions, people asked me why it didn't have chrome trim. Now my 650i GC has chrome trim, and everyone wants the 650 to come with shadowline... go figure. I can't win, lol.

Hey, to each their own. Customization of our toys is one of the simple pleasures of life. We all have a passion for automobiles, that's why we are members of this forum.