BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Mporium BMW

07-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
slvr530i
Rep
Drives: M3/530i

Garage List
2002 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
OEM Exhaust mod in Bay Area

Repost from another thread.

Anyone recommend a shop in the NorCal area (preferably a place in Mountain View, San Jose area)? I found couple of posts where smmmurf and chaos888 got it done by Exhaust Works in Belmont, but when I called he said that he would take 2 days to do it. Any other place that can get it done in a day?

Also, any local guys who has done this mod want to meet up so that I can hear what it sounds like?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr530i View Post
Repost from another thread.

Anyone recommend a shop in the NorCal area (preferably a place in Mountain View, San Jose area)? I found couple of posts where smmmurf and chaos888 got it done by Exhaust Works in Belmont, but when I called he said that he would take 2 days to do it. Any other place that can get it done in a day?

Also, any local guys who has done this mod want to meet up so that I can hear what it sounds like?
Todd & Exhaust works did mine and it did take him forever as I bought an extra exhaust and left it with him. It took almost 3 weeks from start to finish as I also had the tips powder coated down the street from him.

I had Todd use the ACM bypass method.

There is another guy in Fremont that does it as well.

Guaranteed Mufflers & Brakes. I didn't use him but someone else on this forum did. He used the replacing the perf pipes method.

I work in Fremont if you ever want to come by and hear the exhaust.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
slvr530i
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Todd & Exhaust works did mine and it did take him forever as I bought an extra exhaust and left it with him. It took almost 3 weeks from start to finish as I also had the tips powder coated down the street from him.

I had Todd use the ACM bypass method.

There is another guy in Fremont that does it as well.

Guaranteed Mufflers & Brakes. I didn't use him but someone else on this forum did. He used the replacing the perf pipes method.

I work in Fremont if you ever want to come by and hear the exhaust.

Thanks.
3 weeks! ouch, I don't have an extra exhaust and leaving the car for 2 days (if he really finishes it in 2 days) is pretty inconvenient and Belmont is quite out of the way since I work in Palo Alto. Dropping it off and pickup will be a hassle. I called Guaranteed Muffler and said that they need to see the car before they quote me a price. I assumed that since they have done this before it would be a familiar job.

I hope someone here can reply with a place closer to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Check with Darwin at Sonic MS in Mountain View. He is wonderful and also here on the forum, as sponsors on exterior and interior mods. These guys do wonderful work.
Email him :darwin@sonicms.net( or com).

Tell him Zala and arsh from Los altos recommended you!
All the best
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Got mine done by Todd at exhaust works, highly recommend the shop and the work

He's done a few now. the way to do it is to cut it from the top part of the canister so it's invisible on the bottom. Todd does it this way. IMO it would be worth the couple days he will take. remember that golfpro had his powdercoated too. of course that's going to take longer
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
slvr530i
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Check with Darwin at Sonic MS in Mountain View. He is wonderful and also here on the forum, as sponsors on exterior and interior mods. These guys do wonderful work.
Email him :darwin@sonicms.net( or com).

Tell him Zala and arsh from Los altos recommended you!
All the best
Thanks. I will check with them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post

He's done a few now. the way to do it is to cut it from the top part of the canister so it's invisible on the bottom. Todd does it this way. IMO it would be worth the couple days he will take. remember that golfpro had his powdercoated too. of course that's going to take longer
Based on yours and others review of Todd, I called him first. Spoke to him for a while on the different options. If Sonic does not work, I will get it done by him.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post

Yes, to be fair this was done just before Chistmas and Todd became ill for a couple of days as well. He is a one man shop so there was no one else to pick up the slack while he was out sick. If I didn't get the tips done, it would have saved a few days. There was a miscommunication between Todd and the powder coating shop hence the delay.

Todd did a great job on it. I'm even thinking of getting my spare exhaust done and powder coating the full exhaust with the tips. I really think the exhaust looks fugly from behind and BMW dropped the ball on this. I've also looked into rear diffusers but they still don't hide the exhaust.

Maybe if I can find someone who will buy my exhaust, I'll get it done. I had someone offer me $250 for stock exhaust (without the mod) on this forum but the dude went MIA.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
slvr530i
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Yes, to be fair this was done just before Chistmas and Todd became ill for a couple of days as well. He is a one man shop so there was no one else to pick up the slack while he was out sick. If I didn't get the tips done, it would have saved a few days. There was a miscommunication between Todd and the powder coating shop hence the delay.

Todd did a great job on it. I'm even thinking of getting my spare exhaust done and powder coating the full exhaust with the tips. I really think the exhaust looks fugly from behind and BMW dropped the ball on this. I've also looked into rear diffusers but they still don't hide the exhaust.

Maybe if I can find someone who will buy my exhaust, I'll get it done. I had someone offer me $250 for stock exhaust (without the mod) on this forum but the dude went MIA.
Agree on the looks of the stock muffler. But to get rid of the looks is far more $$$ than the mod. I guess it starts with the need for a louder exhaust and after that is done you want it look cleaner/better.
I really like the looks of the Akra with brushed tips, but since I just bought the car I need to wait for a bit.

Can you take a quick pic of your current powdered tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Agree on the looks of the stock muffler. But to get rid of the looks is far more $$$ than the mod. I guess it starts with the need for a louder exhaust and after that is done you want it look cleaner/better.
I really like the looks of the Akra with brushed tips, but since I just bought the car I need to wait for a bit.

Can you take a quick pic of your current powdered tips?
Here's the link from my old post on the topic.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624990

Received your PM, working on response. Typing on iPad is not as fast as a typing on normal keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
Xtopherus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Based on yours and others review of Todd, I called him first. Spoke to him for a while on the different options. If Sonic does not work, I will get it done by him.
Subscribed for updates on how this turns out. I'm considering this for mine when it arrives in a few months time, and I'd like to know of a good local shop that can do the work.
Appreciate 0