BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #133
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

In all the different automotive forums around the globe, the iPhone vs. other phones is always hot debate.

And it ALWAYS starts arguments between members!

Heres the thing, if you like it and can afford it, buy it, if you don't, well you know what to do! Buy Android!
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #134
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

All I have to say is lol.

I don't think I'm ever upgrading from my iPhone 5
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #135
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
Facts are 67% of the world market is Android users which equates to something like 330,000,000 compared to Apples 70 mill registered phones.

I had both platforms and I got rid of the apple every time. It just can't be customized enough for someone who travels and works from their phone to make it a keeper.

Apple innovates, never replicates and leads?? LMAO. Please. First smart phone? Maybe you weren't old enough to recognize the Palm phones or even the older blackberries. How about the sidekick?
And apple is one brand vs the dozens of android brands. Could your post be any less relevant?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #136
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

It's funny how android users constantly complain about apple users being hipster douchebags yet they always seem to be the loudest and first to throw insults. Why do y'all all have some sort of weird superiority complex? It's a fucking phone, don't be so insecure.
Appreciate 4
jmg18709.50
hongsc152.50
seedyrom147.00
Nachbar8024.00
      09-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #137
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Facts are 67% of the world market is Android users which equates to something like 330,000,000 compared to Apples 70 mill registered phones.

I had both platforms and I got rid of the apple every time. It just can't be customized enough for someone who travels and works from their phone to make it a keeper.

Apple innovates, never replicates and leads?? LMAO. Please. First smart phone? Maybe you weren't old enough to recognize the Palm phones or even the older blackberries. How about the sidekick?
Might want to check your facts.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300471167.html

Apple - 43.9%
Samsung - 28.9%

Android - 54.0%
Apple - 43.9%

This number will probably be closer when they pull the numbers in Jan. You can see that Apple is still destroying Samsung.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #138
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Considering that my industry is 90% Mac I find the iPhone the most seamless and painless to work with and interact with my office desktop, my laptop, and home office desktop. Android hardware and software is too inconsistent. I'm sure I would still be able to do my job with an android, but I've already tried that years ago and I ended up trashing my galaxy 3 or 4 or whatever it was and going back to an iPhone after a very frustrating week. My wife used to be an android user, but she got sick of the inconsistencies as well. It's inherent with the business model,unfortunately. Different manufacturers making different phones that are supposed to interact with one another. It's kind of a mess.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #139
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
You're contradicting yourself. If we're following your logic, BMW invented the car...the Model T was just a stupid old idea that didn't work, just like the Benz Patent Motor Car, right? Cars were trash until BMW "invented" the way the existing technologies were integrated together.

I've owned a lot of BMWs and if anything, BMW is the Android of the car world...too soon?

I didn't minimize it, I already said multiple times that they revolutionized the smartphone. You just chose to ignore what I said, got defensive, and latched on the fact that I called Apple innovators, not inventors.

I don't own stock in either so I don't give a shit either way, I buy what appeals to me...and it's always been Android. Maybe I like the underdog, IDK.

Like I said, my wife would rather die than use an Android phone, and that's fine. I understand, and can see why anyone would chose either way. Isn't having a choice a great thing? Let's just relish that.
Wrong. You're pointing to some old piece of crap Sony and saying Apple just used existing technology. I am and have been arguing it's about execution, so Apple ACTUALLY invented the modern smartphone with flawless execution.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #140
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Just totally wrong. Apple has sold over 1.2B iPhones in 10 years and 215 million just last year. How do you come up with 70M registed iPhones? It's just wrong. They sold 78M iphones just last Xmas quarter. 90 days. I would guess 99% of them are still active.

Palm and Blackerberries were NOT anything close to an iPhone. I am old enough to have owned Blackberry, Palm, the Blackjack....all of those were utter shit, which is why they don't exist anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #141
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Which part is confusing to you guys?? Nm Florida and gators all I needed to read.

Yes android does have a bigger market share but how many companies use android and not apple ios? One has more cash flow than the US Treasury and others just try since no one has close to 100% market share in any industry, thats capitalism.

The palm, blackberry, and the sidekick? Lol. Which one of those is smart to you? Apple had a functioning web browser, apps to create and customize your own phone to be unique from others. Maybe not the ios but who's a hacker and who reads step by step how to's to pretend to be one. The design itself was a game changer, what was inside but the real smartphone. Not one that is used for business only and one that the teens use to have their own sidekicks instead of an invisible friend.

Just talk about apple or the new phones or products instead of trying to change the topic to whos is better. Depends on the person but everyone i know, the majority of them own iphones.
Appreciate 1
BayMoWe3351176.50
      09-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #142
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If every smartphone that came after the first iPhone was an evolution of the smartphone, then the iPhone was an evolution of the smartphone that came before it. Can't have it both ways...
It was revolutionary because it was a huge step forward compared to those things they used to call smartphones at the time. It made Apple the most valuable company in the world, everyone scrambled to catch up and it put those who were in denial like you out of business (literally for Palm, and pretty much for BB).

Nothing since then has been as revolutionary as that change in the market. Get it now?

Quote:
Why are you asking where "they" are? Didn't you just state that the smartphone evolved? That's like me asking you why you still aren't using the first iPhone. Since you brought up evolution, I'm assuming you understand how it works...

If I'm ignorant, you're delusional. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid, good sir.
The point of asking where they are now, is pointing out that even though Palm/BB/HP/Nokia may have had "Smartphones" before the iPhone came out, they were all garbage and not mainstream because of their quirkiness. Hence they didn't evolve, hence they stop making phones.

I'm not delusional, I'm just pointing out facts.

Edit: Adding some word definitions to help you understand better.

ev·o·lu·tion·ar·y
- relating to the gradual development of something

rev·o·lu·tion·ar·y
- involving or causing a complete or dramatic change

The iPhone revolutionized the smartphone.
Everything since has been incremental evolutionary improvements.

Last edited by tdott; 09-15-2017 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #143
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

okay so you all know I'm not a fan of apple anymore and here is an article showing 7 ways apple copied android |supposedly| and we can find x amount of ways android copied apple

https://www.cnet.com/news/7-ways-the...ndroid-phones/

HOWEVER it's come to a point where shit will be copied. like oh shit apple made a white phone and now android does they copied! etc. even cars fall into the same shit. we all need to get over it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #144
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Yes they didn't create the watch, or desktop, or phone but they just did it in a way that thru marketing and quality the products do sell. So many talk bad about the phone but why do they keep selling so much if that was the case? Marketing and advertising does a lot but to do it over 10 years with out losing but gaining more customers does mean it works well for people. You are allowed to return the product as well but only one that do are ocd people that are mad about one way it does an operation, ive heard of a complaint that there is no back button for the phone...only the stubborn people will return for such a reason. Its not hard to figure out a new ios or even idrive, it might take a bit to follow the procedure but once you do its done in a split second!

Even the 4 series designer moved to audi and copied the design and made the 5 series with just the front grill and taillights to match the brand, they look similar but no one compares the looks just the performance.

Copy or creator if it works you will still buy the product.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #145
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

With all the money I made owning Apple stock I can justify the price of this phone. Also, I'm trading in my iPhone 7 plus so this phone only costs around $700 bucks for the 256 gig model.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #146
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
It was revolutionary because it was a huge step forward compared to those things they used to call smartphones at the time. It made Apple the most valuable company in the world, everyone scrambled to catch up and it put those who were in denial like you out of business (literally for Palm, and pretty much for BB).

Nothing since then has been as revolutionary as that change in the market. Get it now?

The point of asking where they are now, is pointing out that even though Palm/BB/HP/Nokia may have had "Smartphones" before the iPhone came out, they were all garbage and not mainstream because of their quirkiness. Hence they didn't evolve, hence they stop making phones.

I'm not delusional, I'm just pointing out facts.

Edit: Adding some word definitions to help you understand better.

ev·o·lu·tion·ar·y
- relating to the gradual development of something

rev·o·lu·tion·ar·y
- involving or causing a complete or dramatic change

The iPhone revolutionized the smartphone.
Everything since has been incremental evolutionary improvements.
No, the "revolution" belongs to Android. Google, along with the various Android phone manufacturers, are the ones who put the cheap smart phones in people's hands and dramatically spread the use of the "Smartphone" as we know it. I am an Android turned iPhone guy, so that should tell you where this is coming from.

That said, fuck the iPhone X. If I were forced to upgrade right now I would choose the S8. Apple has nothing on the competition anymore. Especially if you consider the X is the design of future iPhones. There goes that "aesthetics" thing Apple sheep harp on about. Right now, go do a side by side comparison on Apple's website between the 6s, 7, and 8. Try to justify why a 7 or 8 is worth it over the 6s. Furthermore, if you have a 7 and rush to pay for an 8 (excluding those, like me, who have the upgrade option every year program), you're a straight up moron and my opinion is if you rush to pay for a X, you should've gone with a S8.

Hell, if I hadn't run out of storage on it, I would still have my 5s in hand...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #147
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
No, the "revolution" belongs to Android. Google, along with the various Android phone manufacturers, are the ones who put the cheap smart phones in people's hands and dramatically spread the use of the "Smartphone" as we know it. I am an Android turned iPhone guy, so that should tell you where this is coming from.

That said, fuck the iPhone X. If I were forced to upgrade right now I would choose the S8. Apple has nothing on the competition anymore. Especially if you consider the X is the design of future iPhones. There goes that "aesthetics" thing Apple sheep harp on about. Right now, go do a side by side comparison on Apple's website between the 6s, 7, and 8. Try to justify why a 7 or 8 is worth it over the 6s. Furthermore, if you have a 7 and rush to pay for an 8 (excluding those, like me, who have the upgrade option every year program), you're a straight up moron and my opinion is if you rush to pay for a X, you should've gone with a S8.

Hell, if I hadn't run out of storage on it, I would still have my 5s in hand...
You're behind. Aesthetics can be argued, but it has been about the software and experience for at least a few years. Personally, the Note 8 still looks cheap to me. But it doesn't matter...it's iOS and has been for a while.

Not to mention, Apple absolutely destroys Android in benchmark and real world performance. You see the benchmarks for the A11 Bionic? Thing is a monster.

RAM management is still a joke for Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #148
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
You're behind. Aesthetics can be argued, but it has been about the software and experience for at least a few years. Personally, the Note 8 still looks cheap to me. But it doesn't matter...it's iOS and has been for a while.

Not to mention, Apple absolutely destroys Android in benchmark and real world performance. You see the benchmarks for the A11 Bionic? Thing is a monster.

RAM management is still a joke for Samsung.
I call bullshit. In EVERY iPhone vs. Android argument, the phone physical aesthetics ALWAYS comes out from Apple sheep. On the other hand, I didn't say anything bad about iOS. For God's sake, I prefer it to almost all of the various Android overlays.

I disagree. Benchmarks don't mean shit. The Axx chip is always pointing to benchmarks, but I haven't seen an iPhone yet that proves real-world that it actually makes a damn bit of difference.

Really? Wow. iPhone's hiccup all the damn time. Why is that?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #149
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I began using Apple computers when using a computer became part of music composition and production. Back then nobody serious used a PC to make music. Essentially the decision to go Apple instead of Windows was made for me back then but decades later I am really happy with the way things played out.

I am no Tim Cook fan at all but for it would be straight-up dumb for me to use anything other than an iPhone. I own numerous Apple TVs, iPads, iPhones, a MacBookPro, an iMac, an Apple Watch, and a set of AirPods... all of which I am very fond of. Anything not participating fully in the Apple ecosystem is at a huge disadvantage to me. I've refused more than one free Amazon Echo/Dot saying "sorry Alexa, Siri is my girl!"

I'm concerned how long the wait is going to be before getting an iPhone X in hand. It took 6 weeks to get a damn set of AirPods!
      09-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #150
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, the "revolution" belongs to Android.
I stopped reading after the opening line.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #151
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh well. you guys keep going. here you go. haaahaahaaaa
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #152
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I call bullshit. In EVERY iPhone vs. Android argument, the phone physical aesthetics ALWAYS comes out from Apple sheep. On the other hand, I didn't say anything bad about iOS. For God's sake, I prefer it to almost all of the various Android overlays.

I disagree. Benchmarks don't mean shit. The Axx chip is always pointing to benchmarks, but I haven't seen an iPhone yet that proves real-world that it actually makes a damn bit of difference.

Really? Wow. iPhone's hiccup all the damn time. Why is that?
Go look up PhoneBuff on YouTube. He's basically the standard when it comes to speed tests that don't matter in the "real world" application. Apple destroys Android in "real world" testing, even with a 1 year old iPhone 7. I think the new One Plus 5 just beat the iPhone 7 by a few seconds, but largely because of quicker animations and a slow finger. The S8+ vs the iPhone 7 Plus was a joke.

Appreciate 0