BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Arrow DIY: Let's pull the front alignment pins

Couldn't find a DIY for this specific item so I figured I'd put one up for the archives. It should be noted that this is entirely wrong and due to its halfarsedness should not be attempted by anyone. Take it to an alignment shop if you're afraid of breaking something, just make sure they aren't slaves to "the specs" and they'll do this the right way for you. I'm accustomed to, and comfortable with, perpetrating monumental acts of stupidity and paying for the consequences. If you're like me then read on...

Time needed: 45 minutes + 5 minutes per beer

Tools:
Ratchets with 13mm and 8mm sockets
13mm combo or ratcheting wrench
Large flathead screwdriver
3mm allen key
Channel Locks or Vise-grips
Blue Loctite
Floor jack

An alignment at a shop or your own alignment tools are great for before/after comparison. There's not much moving here so not much is going to change except camber, but it's a good idea to do this on a level floor and mark the wheel centerlines so you can find your reference point again. I used my low-tech Smartcamber gauge and longacre toe plates to make sure I didn't throw anything out of whack. Personally I'm comfortable using my track alignment tools, but if you aren't familiar with how they behave it's probably better to get an alignment afterwards to make sure. Toe did not change, and negative camber increased by about 0.4 to 0.7 degrees using this method. I checked beforehand and had 0.8-1.0 degrees on each side. Zero toe on the front, and I checked the rear for sh!ts and giggles and found 3/32" toe in and 1.6-1.8 of camber.

Pop off the ///Marketing plastic shock tower cover with the flathead screwdriver and start loosening the 13mm nuts. Let the weight of the car hold everything in place. Remove the 8mm bolt holding the plastic cowl in place to give you enough wiggle room to remove the tower brace.

Jack up the side you're working on to take weight off that corner. Jacking up both sides just allows the suspension to droop, which isn't ideal, so I let the swaybar keep tension on everything. Remove the pin. The aluminum pin shown is the passenger side, it may come out easily with the 3mm allen key like my driver's side pin did, or it may be a bastard and strip immediately with a small amount of force (not even enough to deflect the 3mm allen key which isn't exactly stout) in which case you'll need to use channel locks or vise-grips to turn it.

Now comes the fun part. Take the flathead screwdriver and pry *lightly* against the metal strut hat top with one hand to move the strut into position while your other hand is on the jack handle. Check that all three strut mount studs are bottomed out against the inboard side of the slotted strut tower stud holes. Maintain pressure on the screwdriver while slowly, gently lowering the car, loading up the suspension until the weight of the car is holding everything in place again.

Leave everything still loose and unbolted on that corner and push the car forward and backwards about 10-15 feet while bouncing the front suspension and turning the steering wheel. Helps to have a buddy for this. This settles everything to ensure that there is no residual bind in the bushings. Do a preliminary alignment check for toe and camber at this point if you have the tools to make sure nothing has gone sideways.

Bolt everything back together (don't forget that plastic cover it's important!!!111uno!!!). Use the blue loctite on the upper strut nuts. Start with the brace/strut studs first, then tighten down the two nuts that hold the brace to the firewall brace to avoid putting them in a bind.

Proceed to the other side and repeat. Once everything is complete and bolted down, bounce it and roll it again or drive it a short distance and come back to check alignment again.

In my case I ended up with 1.4 and 1.6 degrees of camber, with no change in toe. This puts the front about 0.2 degrees less negative than the rear as opposed to nearly an entire degree.

If you have EDC I'm sorry. And aside from being sorry for you , I don't know what it takes to remove the EDC actuator, or if you even need to, to take advantage of this adjustment.

It should also be noted that I did this the laziest, easiest way possible without even going under the car. One could, if one were inclined to do so, probably get another couple tenths out of the stock front suspension by loosening everything and pulling it in the appropriate direction, then tightening under tension. I'm thinking of the lower strut mounting bolts in particular. Motorcycle tie-downs can do wonderful things for a car's handling.

As a side note, the OEM 220M 19's are nice as OEM wheels go for checking alignment with a Smart Camber gauge with that nice flat outer bead seat surface. The 18's are curved so it's tough to put it back in the same place twice.

As far as how the car responds to this, my car is completely factory suspension wise aside from the camber adjustment. It's much more "pointy" after turn-in now. There's still some turn-in reluctance (rear toe-in, probably) but as soon as it takes a set it's possible to get on the throttle much earlier and power through the corner. Before adding the camber the car had two ways to point the front in the right direction in 2nd and 3rd gear corners:

a) Turn in, stomp gas, countersteer to control power-oversteer all the way through
b) Turn in, apply neutral throttle, unwind wheel and power out once more throttle won't wash out the front and send you into the ditch

Now you have option c) Turn in, apply power and feed it in early and progressively without the front washing out.

You can actually apply the "string between your foot and your steering wheel" principle and feed throttle as you unwind the wheel without pissing off the front tires. Much better. If I had known how much more alert the frontend would be mid-corner with this simple 45 minute change, I would have done it the day I got the car. Adding less than a degree of camber to the front of the car isn't a silver bullet; there are still limits and the car still pushes some in faster corners but that's not such a bad thing for a street car. Still, balance is better in faster corners, and the car is more responsive to mid-corner throttle changes and doesn't need abrupt changes to change the arc through the corner. All of these results are pretty "DUH!" for people who know how it's supposed to work, but theory and reality aren't always in agreement.

Somehow I managed not to cause any negative effects either. Tracking, steering feel, bump steer are all just as good as before which is to say very good. And since I've been wearing the outsides of my fronts a little faster than the insides, this should help even out the tire wear too.

Great little improvement especially if, like me, you need to leave the suspension relatively untouched due to compliance and ground clearance concerns.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richbot; 04-24-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 4
      04-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great addition, thanks for the detail!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Thank you for posting this! Great write up.
      04-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Sweet, thanks.

I wonder if this pin removal DIY negates any additional neg camber gained from the fixed dinan camber plates.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

The Dinan plates require removing the pins, but give additional negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Nice, thanks for posting. Can you clarify what is picture #4? It looks like you've removed a bolt from near the brake fluid reservoir cover but what for?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
Remove the 8mm bolt holding the plastic cowl in place to give you enough wiggle room to remove the tower brace.
Yup
      05-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Super easy mod to do, just completed this AM.

For those with EDC it's not really any different, remove the dust cover over the shock tower and pull the EDC connector straight up (it's just an electrical connection). It goes back in only one way (look at the narrow ridges on the connector and look in the top of the shock strut for the narrow channels they fit in so you're close when you go back to reinstall) so don't worry about alignment when reassembling.

Just to clarify one item, you need to remove the screws (8 mm nut driver) from both sides of the car to loosen the plastic cowl / rear weather-stip channel so that you can remove the black strut tower braces. It's easiest to just go ahead and remove the cover for the brake fluid reservoir on the driver's side and the cover for the DME on the passenger side so you can get at those two screws closest to the front of the channel.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

I just did this DIY and got an alignment and now an EDC error, really!? I am not blaming this DIY or trying to jack this thread so we can troubleshoot this issue separately:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545367

Thanks in advance!

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merked M3 View Post
I just did this DIY and got an alignment and now an EDC error, really!? I am not blaming this DIY or trying to jack this thread so we can troubleshoot this issue separately:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545367

Thanks in advance!
Well at least I can contribute to this thread now!!!

So I did all directions except I was unable to roll the car back and forth more than 5 feet (would have risked going down our steep driveway), so the suspension and EDC did not settle enough and I got a malfunction. So I pulled the 3 bolts off the circle thing rolled the car back and forth 15 feet while bouncing the car and also turning the steering wheel from lock to lock and now its fixed!!! So I can attest that is a very important step!!!

And my other contribution now is a picture of the control arm if you have EDC, all you have to do is disconnect the cable, pop the dust cover and slide the wire up to remove:

P.S. I have -1.75 and -1.4 camber in the front now!!!!

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S

Last edited by Merked M3; 06-16-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

As others stated, easy and quick. Since my car is new pins came out without any trouble using the 3mm allen. Now, I have yet to get alignment, but I took the car for a spin. No EDC errors, and handles fine. I wasn't pushing it like I would at the track.

Is there anything special we should do when reconnecting the strut brace? Should we put any tension on it, how do we ensure it does not bind? Should I loosen and tighten it after a short drive?
      10-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Also just to add I believe the 13mm upper strut nuts should be torqued to 35Nm
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Interesting....I'll look in to this for spring
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Probably one of the easiest adjustments I've made on my car. Takes 45min.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
rzm3
Rep

Thanks for sharing! Sticky'd.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Ok, I just did this.
Got about .4 more negative camber.

Before -1.2, -0.9
After -1.6, -1.3 (sitting in the car. If out of the car, -1.6, -1.1)

Also removed 0.09 degrees of Toe-In at the front (zero toe now)

Decreased 0.18 degrees of toe In at the rear to 0.12

Car feels much more "free" with better breakaway characteristics. Steering feels lighter by a little at speed (probably due to removal of toe in at the front).

Rear was -1.9L and -1.2R from the factory. Set to -1.8 and -1.6. So about 0.2 more negative in the rear than front.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Anyone run stock suspension with pulled pins and Dinan fixed plates?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
ChrisDUS
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Just did that mod yesterday night. Took 20 minutes, piece of cake.

moved the car around a bit and pushed on the fenders to settle the suspension. No EDC error whatsoever. Nice thing is you can put the pins back in if you want (e.g. when you sell the car).

Is my logic right that due to more camber at the front axle I automatically reduce toe-in as well?
The steering gear is in front of the axle so any inward movement of the shock results in more toe-in if the pivot point of the shock is HIGHER than the linkage point of the outer ball joints. If the pivot point of the shock is LOWER than the linkage to the steering gear, I would get less toe-in when moving the shock tower inward. This is what I'm after obviously.
So far the car drives great but I could only test it in town .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Just did this, took about 20min per side taking my time. If you raise the black cowl tray as described in this thread, there is no need to undo the EDC connectors - I was able to wiggle the strut brace away and undo the pins with the EDC connected.

I rolled the car back and wiggled the steering wheel side to side while my friend bounced on the front of the car, and so far no EDC error message. I'll keep you guys posted if it shows up.

So far so good.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone attempted this without lifting up the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Has anyone attempted this without lifting up the car?
Too much friction IMO. I would worry about breaking and damaging things. I had to raise it quite a bit before the strut could be moved inward.

Be conservative when working on suspension items. An EDC strut is $800 per corner I think...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Too much friction IMO. I would worry about breaking and damaging things. I had to raise it quite a bit before the strut could be moved inward.

Be conservative when working on suspension items. An EDC strut is $800 per corner I think...
Ok, good to know. Guess I'm lifting the car then.
Appreciate 0