BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Larz
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Can't seem to fix ongoing engine malfunction

While I don't post much here, I do read the forums all the time and have learned much about the M3 and wonder if anyone has any thoughts about my issue.

I've been the owner of a CPO'd 2011 E90 M3 since last summer and only put about 3,000 miles on it since so it has 37K now. There is one month warranty left before CPO. Since I've owned the vehicle I seem to be getting recurring CEL and engine malfunction warnings. I don't have all the codes but here is a summary:

After month 1 of ownership
Engine Malfunction Warning
Bank 2 O2 sensor faulty
Correction: Replaced O2 Sensor
1 week later
Spark plug malfunction
Misfire Cylinder 5,6,7,8
Correction: replaced spark plugs
After 1.5 months of ownership
Secondary air pump and secondary air valve for bank 2 faulty
Correction: replaced air pump and air valve
After 7 months of ownership
Misfire faults bank 2
O2 sensor fault 2729 and 2751
Secondary air fault bank 2 27B1
PUMA case opened. Performed:
  • Smoke test on intake and exhaust – no leaks
  • Back pressure test - ok
  • Checked cat with borescope - ok
  • Swapped coils from bank 2 to 1 – still have faults
  • Did leak down and compression test – no issues
  • Swapped bank 2 injectors to bank 1 – fault never moved to bank 1
Correction – Replaced post O2 sesnor on bank 2
After 9 months of ownership
Same exact faults and codes as last time
Puma case opened again and car currently with dealer

If your still with me, given all the above, I feel I need to get out of this car. I don't feel confident that the issue will ever be fully resolved and I find myself always worrying an issue will come back even if it's fixed again. Would you agree?

Unfortunately, there is no lemon law in NJ for used cars but in speaking with a lawyer, he feels I have a claim here to potentially recoup equity I've put into the car. Even if I receive a settlement, I still own the car and feel it will be difficult to sell if it get's fixed

My service director who I have a good relationship with has been working with BMW NA and says he can also recoup some of that money on trade and get me into another car at cost.

The catch is that I really don't want to spend more money then I'm paying now which makes getting a new M3 out of the question. Also, I love the E90 but the dealer doesn't have any. I feel like my only option is to move to a non-M car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Full engine replacement a possibility? It would really suck to have to step out of the M into something lesser because you got a lemon...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

See if they will extend your CPO warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Larz
Rep

While a new engine would be great, I'm at the mercy of what BMW says will be covered under warranty. I just can't believe they can't find any other problems given all the tests that were performed.

I spoke with BMW NA and they asked me what I wanted. I said buy the car back - nope they said. Ok, how about another year of CPO - nope can't do that either.

I really want to stick with an M but have no more confidence in this car any more. Went from an M coupe to a 135 and missed the M terribly so traded the 135 after a year for the E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
See if they will extend your CPO warranty
A good first step. Sounds like a defect in the wiring harness to me, creating other issues. But if the mechanics can't find the source and the car is never reliable, getting another car is certainly an option, however painful. A significant percentage of vehicle failures can stem from mechanics damaging things as they work on the car, not necessarily from factory defects. Nearly all of the failures on my old Nissan Z were from dealership mechanics breaking things/leaving clamps loose, etc. during factory recall repairs and other minor work.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post
While a new engine would be great, I'm at the mercy of what BMW says will be covered under warranty. I just can't believe they can't find any other problems given all the tests that were performed.

I spoke with BMW NA and they asked me what I wanted. I said buy the car back - nope they said. Ok, how about another year of CPO - nope can't do that either.

I really want to stick with an M but have no more confidence in this car any more. Went from an M coupe to a 135 and missed the M terribly so traded the 135 after a year for the E90 M3.
So they won't buy the car back and won't extend CPO... why even ask you what you want? Why not just tell you what you're options are.

So what's the end verdict?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Let them take the car back, there are great deals out there to replace it with. Or find an expert independent tech with M experience.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

pm sent!
      03-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

WOW !
Feel really sorry about your luck .
It's almost like your car is cursed !
Hope this will help.....
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Larz
Rep

Since the car is back at the dealer for the same problem I may have to wait to see what happens. The service director says he's working with BMW to come up with a deal for me to turn the car back in (cover what's left in my loan) plus additional compensation due to the issues with the car.

I have a great relationship with him and he has always given me discounts on service and parts and matches prices elsewhere (e.g., matching prices from other dealers for parts and Tire Rack for tires) so for now I'm waiting to see what he comes back with.

I called BMW NA again and they confirmed they are in discussion and that I should work through the service director.

I made it clear that I only want another M car for around the same monthly price so I think that leaves the following options:
  • Wait for the car to be fixed and take it back and see what compensation I can get (e.g. extended warranty)
  • I asked him to price me a new stripper M3 indicating how much money is willing to contribute from compensation towards a down payment.
  • If I feel the money BMW is giving me back is acceptable but the new M3 is too much, then I turn the car in, take the money they give me and find another E90 M3.
  • If BMW is not willing to compensate me for my troubles, then I have a lawyer willing to take on my case and go to BMW NA for compensation.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
Larz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
WOW !
Feel really sorry about your luck .
It's almost like your car is cursed !
Hope this will help.....
Ha, thanks... Kinda hoping for this to be done with it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
TheSnail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

I like how the car thief is all in black with a ski mask and no gloves. He must of not thought that one through lol.
      03-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Ha, thanks... Kinda hoping for this to be done with it...
For this you should park your car in the right area...
But hope rather that BMW finds a fix for it !
And I know too that most BMW/Dealers just s@ck...the only knowledge they have is to make the invoice...they really have !
Please keep us posted...And I whish you good luck

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #14
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

IMO a fair deal would be to walk away with the money you have put into the car less a reasonable amount to account for the usage you have had from it. Then buy something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
Larz
Rep

Not much of an update. Service director and BMW NA still in talks on a resolution of buying back car and maybe moving me into a new M3. He told me to go test drive one to make sure I'd like it but sales guys say no test drives on M cars - people only buy them with 0 miles. WTF, I guess being a repeat customer for 15 years means nothing but service director brought up one of his guys to take me for a spin in his. Got to drive it around the parking area so really didn't a good feel for it.

Current car still in shop and now in for 8 days and counting this time around. BMW told them to change the power distribution module but still throwing codes. Total time without car is now over 30 days in my 9 months of ownership.

Back to the waiting game...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
MMAJNKE
MMA Changed My Life!
Japan
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 & f30 328i

Garage List
sucks man!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
Larz
Rep

And the suck continues...

Dealer has no M3 allocations so now they need to figure out what good will to provide with my current M3 so no resolution.

For current car, BMW advised to replace both catalytic converters as a next step but some parts need to come from Germany.

Total time in service now > 50 days with 15 of those this time around.

May be time to get lawyer involved...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
And the suck continues...

Dealer has no M3 allocations so now they need to figure out what good will to provide with my current M3 so no resolution.

For current car, BMW advised to replace both catalytic converters as a next step but some parts need to come from Germany.

Total time in service now > 50 days with 15 of those this time around.

May be time to get lawyer involved...
Just wondering how did u solve this~?
Appreciate 0