BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

First time owner.....

Whats up all. Just picked up my first M3. Its an 09 Interlagos Blue 4dr with 23000 miles and all options except it has a manual 6 speed trans. I traded in my 06 Dodge Charger SRT8 and I can already tell the difference!!! So, what easy upgrades (performace wise) should I start looking at? Share the knowledge.....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Congratulations on your purchase. Why the "except" for the 6MT? It a great transmission.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Why the "except" for the 6MT? It a great transmission.
Well the except sounds like a disapointement to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
bigban
Registered
Rep
Drives: 316i

Congratulations
      07-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
k5ng
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 Mineral Grey/DCT

Quote:
+1!

This is where you all should be!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...121608&page=49

2008 E92 335xi Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red (gone)
2011 E93 M3 6MT JZB/Ext Bamboo (gone)
2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII/Palladium,Blk,Blk (gone)
2016 F83 M4 DCT MG/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice congrats

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Congrats on the stick shift!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Congrats! 6MT Ftw!

As for performance mods, I think most people would say the top 3 are a X pipe (catless or hfc); a nice tune and an after market air filter w/scoops.

Good luck and enjoy.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh my bad. Didnt mean to imply that. I was just stating what it had. I chose the 6MT over the auto. I like driving stick in a performance car. My buddy has the 2011 coupe M3 with the auto and its nice but you feel lazy so I really wanted the manual.... Spending as much as I did, I would not buy something I wasnt really happy with.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
Congrats! 6MT Ftw!

As for performance mods, I think most people would say the top 3 are a X pipe (catless or hfc); a nice tune and an after market air filter w/scoops.

Good luck and enjoy.
Since I know nothing about the M3 and I'm just learning, whats the best tune for the M3???
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
amglol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Oh my bad. Didnt mean to imply that. I was just stating what it had. I chose the 6MT over the auto. I like driving stick in a performance car. My buddy has the 2011 coupe M3 with the auto and its nice but you feel lazy so I really wanted the manual.... Spending as much as I did, I would not buy something I wasnt really happy with.
m3 doesn't come in an 'auto'.

if you're referring to the MDCT, you should've reconsidered. i've ALWAYS had stick shift cars and almost didn't go with the MDCT. it's the most amazing transmission you can imagine. benefits of auto and high performance manual shifting, you just get to choose when you use each...
      07-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post
Quote:

if you're referring to the MDCT, you should've reconsidered. i've ALWAYS had stick shift cars and almost didn't go with the MDCT. it's the most amazing transmission you can imagine. benefits of auto and high performance manual shifting, you just get to choose when you use each...
DCT is not manual. Sorry for the correction.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

Last edited by cmk227; 07-04-2011 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post

DCT is an automatic. It simply has a clutch based internal mechanism. Any transmission capable of changing gears without human input is an automatic.
      07-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
amglol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
DCT is an automatic. It simply has a clutch based internal mechanism. Any transmission capable of changing gears without human input is an automatic.
interesting perspective. i disagree.
      07-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
amglol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta2004m3 View Post
interesting contradiction....I've owned the previous E46M3 equipped with the SMG "manual" shifting transmission....if it can shift by itself simply by moving the shifter to a different position...guess what?!? I just prefer not to drive something that eventually feels like a video game, not connected enough for me, not involving enough for me, don't care if it's faster or new tech, that's my opinion at least, if you disagree...well go...well you know....
even in the auto MODE, the car doesn't respond like a true automatic.

i'm not knocking having a traditional manual, but simply dismissing the MDCT as being an auto and "disconnected" is pretty foolish.
      07-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
amglol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
interesting contradiction....I've owned the previous E46M3 equipped with the SMG "manual" shifting transmission....if it can shift by itself simply by moving the shifter to a different position...guess what?!? I just prefer not to drive something that eventually feels like a video game, not connected enough for me, not involving enough for me, don't care if it's faster or new tech, that's my opinion at least, if you disagree...well go...well you know....
Quote:
how it responds doesn't change facts friend....unlike you I won't call you foolish for having differing opinions...I like what I like, DCT isn't as involving because you just push a button effectively, takes more to drive a manual and that's what makes it feel more connected....wait for it....waaiiitt.....FOR ME.....clear and simple enough for you yet?

forgot to add, auto response is different yes...as in pretty shitty from what I have heard and experienced personally when I test drove one....
speaking of contradictions...

like i said, foolish. and that's all the time you're worth....
      07-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Since I know nothing about the M3 and I'm just learning, whats the best tune for the M3???
Well here's something you just learned.....this place is full of which transmission is better shit. Everyone on here has an opinion and at some point you'll read all of them. So my guess is you'll read more DCT vs 6MT garbage before you get a tune recommendation. Anyway, welcome to the forum and do a search for tunes......it will be a much better read than this thread. Trust me on this .................Phil

Oh yeah, I'm sure you can tell what tune I prefer
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

*Must, avoid, taking part in transmission war*

*Edit* Ahh fuck it. Calling the DCT a non-automatic is just silly. We all know it's an evolutionary, superior transmission but it's a Semi-Automatic. At best.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

OP - congrats

Remember that show "Name That Tune?" I can name that tune in 6 notes? This forum seems to be able to make any thread become a DCT vs MT debate in 6 replies or less.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
OP - congrats

Remember that show "Name That Tune?" I can name that tune in 6 notes? This forum seems to be able to make any thread become a DCT vs MT debate in 6 replies or less.
................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #22
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

OP - Phil is right. There are numerous tunes and everyone will say there's is the best.

Read up on them. I'm happy with my OE, plus they were local and I got to sit there and watch Jeremy tune it. Others prefer Dinan. Some like ESS. Up to you really.

If you get an exhaust, try to get the tune at the same time to correct and CEL issues.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0