BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #23
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

It's funny, I was going to post this exact same topic! I understand that the gearbox is "notchy" but I also get the clank noise too. It's usually when I'm going slow and make a turn, upshifting from 1st to 2nd. I did the clutch stop mod and removed the clutch spring. My question is, should I change everything back to stock before bringing it to the dealer? I don't want the mods to become an excuse the dealer uses to refuse warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
I did the clutch stop mod and removed the clutch spring. My question is, should I change everything back to stock before bringing it to the dealer?
Yes. Not to offend anybody -- but sometimes you have to take internet advice with a grain of salt -- but those "mods" are completely unnecessary and were dreamed up (IMO) by people who don't know how to drive this particular MT properly.

This generation M3 has easier and smoother clutch engagement still with lots of feel at the engagement point than pretty much any car with similar performance on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #25
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
i'm going to try giving it some gas going into second on the upshift,i already do this on the downshift,this sounds like a good hint.
Eventually you will get a smooth roll on to the throttle as your hand is moving down. And the shift will be like butter.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Mine shifts smooth as butter in all gears, but I only have 5k miles and I'm very used to driving BMWs. My last car, 335i, which I owned for years, has the exact same transmission I believe. No shifting problems in that car at all, also (about 40k miles).

OP: Your car should still be under warranty, so if you have concerns, get it checked out.

Finally, the clutch thing maybe the brakes. Modern BMWs apply the brake for 2 seconds after depressing the clutch from a stop, to help you get started on hills (don't roll backwards). Its a great feature, and it turns off in 2 seconds so you don't have to wait too long if you actually want to roll backwards.
      12-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

thats normal
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

1-2 is a tricky shift, when you get used to it, it becomes so easy. I get it everytime now, but I usually do a short shift for 1-2.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeast
I also notice that when the car is completely still and you depress thw cluth all the way to the floor and then take it all the way back up the car budges a tiny bit. at the same time you xan watch the rpms move about 50-100 rpms. feels like when the the car is in nuetral the cluth grabs a bit even when not in gear. normal? thanks for any replies.
I don't have that.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeast View Post
I just purchased my first m3. 2011 with 26k, comp package, mt, everything else you could want. However, the syncros to me feel like something is wrong. I almost never have a smooth shift from first to second. There is a violent harsh clank when shifting into second. if I shift quick it helps a bit, but I dont think this is right. can anyone let me know what is to be expected as I am a new m3 owner and dont know if this is normal.
BMW traditionally has notchy MT Transmissions, mine is only a bit notchy from 1st to 2nd, 3rd and above very smooth.... but If I were you, I would take it to the dealer and complain, you have warranty!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Some of the transmissions shift better than others. Certainly, technique can be a factor. But if your transmission shifts "smooth as butter" in all gears, more than likely you got a good tranny as opposed to some special technique for shifting.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
Some of the transmissions shift better than others. Certainly, technique can be a factor. But if your transmission shifts "smooth as butter" in all gears, more than likely you got a good tranny as opposed to some special technique for shifting.
Negative. When I first got my car I thought the MT was poor. I am used to a heavier, shorter clutch, and a light gear engagement like many here. I could not figure out 1-2 and was basically using force to get into 2nd. When my friends drove my car all basically said "wow it's hard to get into 2nd, you really have to manhandle this thing."

After a while, I did some research and realized BMW does things differently for a variety of reasons. I also read on the forums a couple guys who were talking about using their fingertips to execute the shifts. I realized I was doing it wrong. First I learned how to shift it into 2nd gear using only fingertip pressure -- it just glides in with a subtle positive notch if you do it right. It's about timing the shift and throttle. For a while I was still having trouble getting the shift smooth however.. I would either get a really rough engagement or have to almost dump the clutch at redline to get it right. Noticed that some days I had it perfect other I didn't, decided to pay attention to the difference.. figured out it was giving it gas as I went into 2nd that was key. Started practicing purposely doing it and before long the entire set of motions (as clutch goes in, pull down gear, roll off throttle slightly, as gear slides into 2nd be off throttle, roll back on immediately as clutch goes out, as soon as past engagement point more throttle) was one fluid movement I could execute in what feels like a fraction of a second.

The other day I was showing my girlfriend, 1-2, 3-4, 4-3 perfectly rev matched, 3-2 perfectly rev matched, over and over again and we were both amazed how I could do it again and again so quickly without any sort of lurch in the car.

Oh, and one more tip: many will consider this silly but this car seems to respond differently to different shoes. For some reason Sperry boat shoes are ideal driving shoe for this car for me. I actually have an extra pair in the trunk because with some other shoes I am terrible again. I got a pair of Onitsuka Tigers on a whim and I stalled twice in one day in the M3.. haven't stalled in a decade prior.

TL;DR:

- When I got my M3 thought MT sucked, 1-2 impossible to get right
- Figured out new technique that I only use on M3. Now I think its amazing.
- Perfect shifts all the time when I wear Sperrys
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #33
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt View Post
Negative. When I first got my car I thought the MT was poor. I am used to a heavier, shorter clutch, and a light gear engagement like many here. I could not figure out 1-2 and was basically using force to get into 2nd. When my friends drove my car all basically said "wow it's hard to get into 2nd, you really have to manhandle this thing."

After a while, I did some research and realized BMW does things differently for a variety of reasons. I also read on the forums a couple guys who were talking about using their fingertips to execute the shifts. I realized I was doing it wrong. First I learned how to shift it into 2nd gear using only fingertip pressure -- it just glides in with a subtle positive notch if you do it right. It's about timing the shift and throttle. For a while I was still having trouble getting the shift smooth however.. I would either get a really rough engagement or have to almost dump the clutch at redline to get it right. Noticed that some days I had it perfect other I didn't, decided to pay attention to the difference.. figured out it was giving it gas as I went into 2nd that was key. Started practicing purposely doing it and before long the entire set of motions (as clutch goes in, pull down gear, roll off throttle slightly, as gear slides into 2nd be off throttle, roll back on immediately as clutch goes out, as soon as past engagement point more throttle) was one fluid movement I could execute in what feels like a fraction of a second.

The other day I was showing my girlfriend, 1-2, 3-4, 4-3 perfectly rev matched, 3-2 perfectly rev matched, over and over again and we were both amazed how I could do it again and again so quickly without any sort of lurch in the car.

Oh, and one more tip: many will consider this silly but this car seems to respond differently to different shoes. For some reason Sperry boat shoes are ideal driving shoe for this car for me. I actually have an extra pair in the trunk because with some other shoes I am terrible again. I got a pair of Onitsuka Tigers on a whim and I stalled twice in one day in the M3.. haven't stalled in a decade prior.

TL;DR:

- When I got my M3 thought MT sucked, 1-2 impossible to get right
- Figured out new technique that I only use on M3. Now I think its amazing.
- Perfect shifts all the time when I wear Sperrys
So, to all you M3 owners out there, if you wear special shoes and employ certain techniques while shifting, your notchy transmission shifts are a thing of the past.

While I believe this works for you, I highly doubt all of the other M3 owners out there are doing it wrong. And I'm not willing to buy special shoes to do it. Boxster, 911, S2000, Miata, all got it right with no special techniques. And transmissions do vary.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #34
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
So, to all you M3 owners out there, if you wear special shoes and employ certain techniques while shifting, your notchy transmission shifts are a thing of the past.

While I believe this works for you, I highly doubt all of the other M3 owners out there are doing it wrong. And I'm not willing to buy special shoes to do it. Boxster, 911, S2000, Miata, all got it right with no special techniques. And transmissions do vary.
I don't know about special techniques or shoes. But, after some practice I'd say its not notchy or bad at all. The M3 MT is different from other cars, but not in any way that any other car is different. I can shift the M3 fast and smooth. Maybe I got lucky and my transmission is one of the better examples. But its always been this way with any MT car I've had -- you need a bit of practice to get the optimum out of it.

I've owned a Miata for many years and before that an MR2. Both are great shifting cars but I'd say the M3 shifts better then either one. The shift throw is a little longer so maybe I'll end up getting a ZCP knob. Other than that no complaints.

To the OP, if it checks out from the dealer then give it a few thousand miles before making any judgement. I'm not sure if what you had described is normal or not. If after a few thousand miles of breaking in and you learning your M3s transmission, it still seems crappy, then take it back in.

Some suggestions: Don't "manhandle" it. That never worked for me. Just learn to get it in gear with the right pressure -- not too much and certainly not too little. It has to be a good deliberate pull or push on the gear selector but don't bang it in gear. I don't know how to explain the right amount of pressure. All I can say is practice with it. The 1-2 shift is more finicky than other gears. By this I mean you just have to get the cadence right I suppose, and 1-2 is more sensitive to this than the other gears.

And if all else fails, buy some Sperry boat shoes.

Cheers,

Ersin
      12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Well, you're right that the other cars are different. But who cares, we own this one. So might as well adapt to what we have. Half the fun of driving MT is improving technique, at least for me. It takes the boredom out of otherwise boring drives.

As for special shoes.. I was working under the operating assumption that everyone has at least one pair of Sperrys. I probably have at least five pairs, when they get too worn out they become house slippers
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #36
Jopa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 gtr

Garage List
2010 GT-R  [0.00]
2010 M3  [0.00]
Off topic but how much did you pay for the car a I'm looking at buying an 2011
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Original transmission in my car shifted like butter. Positive engagements all around, same amount of tension/resistance just to let you know what was happening etc. I was in heaven.

Then it died, synchro issue, stuck in gear.

Got a new tranny from BMW, wouldn't you know it, notchy 1-2 shift, business as usual. Yes, of course you get used to it and adjust, but it definitely is peculiar...

FYI, not all BMW trannies are like that. The one in 135/335/1M shifts much better IMO. As did the 6sp in the E46 ZHP, but not in the M3.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Quote:
I just purchased my first m3. 2011 with 26k, comp package, mt, everything else you could want. However, the syncros to me feel like something is wrong. I almost never have a smooth shift from first to second. There is a violent harsh clank when shifting into second. if I shift quick it helps a bit, but I dont think this is right. can anyone let me know what is to be expected as I am a new m3 owner and dont know if this is normal.
Pilot error? All my shifts are smooth. Practice makes perfect...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
I also notice that when the car is completely still and you depress thw cluth all the way to the floor and then take it all the way back up the car budges a tiny bit. at the same time you xan watch the rpms move about 50-100 rpms. feels like when the the car is in nuetral the cluth grabs a bit even when not in gear. normal? thanks for any replies.
Can't believe no MT guys every pointed this out to you yet.

No, it is not normal when the car budges after you do that, you need a new clutch, I've seen bad MT drivers changing the clutch before 20K miles.
Seems like your previous M3 owner was a bad MT driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #40
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Its very difficult for people to diagnose problems based on a generalized description.

Its an '11, take it to the dealer if you even think their might be something wrong.

At the very least you'll have it indicated on your service history that there was a complaint made.

I had to complain like 4 times with my e46 M before they finally agreed my diff was grinding. The replacement came when the car was out of warranty, but since I had repeatedly complained they couldn't say it was a new issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #41
K.M. Tim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [2.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
As stated before- 1st to 2nd is rough. Deal with it, 2nd to 6th is a blast.
      12-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #42
SeaBeast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

bmw has approved a new transmission. they say it is coming from florida, so it should be here around xmas and then I probably wont have my car until the end of next week. Is there anything I should check when I pick it up? This all makes me nervous having a transmission go bad after 28k. Will this happen every 30k?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #43
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

wow, that sucks. sorry to hear that. the MT is a fine transmission and it can be smooth if you know how to use it.
      12-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #44
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Glad to hear you got this all sorted out. At least they understand a new tranny is required. Keep us updated