BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe, Comp Pkg

Has Audi overtaken BMW with performance cars?

Recent comparison tests show a disturbing trend with new BMW models:
  • Motor Trend, S8 vs Alpina B7: S8 blew it away
  • Road and Track, S7 vs 650 Gran Coupe: S7 pretty clear winner
  • Motor Trend, Panamera GTS (not Audi, I realize) vs M5: M5 absolutely panned as disappointing, big, imprecise

Audi's small Turbo engines seem to be better than BMW's and they also seem to be building lighter, more sporting cars. BMW's electric steering has been criticized as artificial and lacking feel. What the heck is BMW doing? Have they lost the sporting "edge"?

I'm glad I have a "legit" sporting BMW with my E90 (although the steering in my E46 330i is better), but I'm a bit worried about the M3 (and M4?) and whether it will be better than its competition.
      12-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

meh...
      12-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Partly why BMW is moving towards turbos..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
meh...
+1

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmFiniti View Post
  • Motor Trend, Panamera GTS (not Audi, I realize) vs M5: M5 absolutely panned as disappointing, big, imprecise

Audi's small Turbo engines seem to be better than BMW's and they also seem to be building lighter, more sporting cars. BMW's electric steering has been criticized as artificial and lacking feel. What the heck is BMW doing? Have they lost the sporting "edge"?

I'm glad I have a "legit" sporting BMW with my E90 (although the steering in my E46 330i is better), but I'm a bit worried about the M3 (and M4?) and whether it will be better than its competition.
You make some good points .... I wonder about this as well.

BTW, I agree on your about your 330i, I think the gear shift on our 1987 535is is smooth as silk compared to the e92 M3 MT I call it a night and day comparison.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
bimmergoat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Jerez Black

I just don't trust Audi in terms of reliability. My experience with my former s4 was an absolute nightmare. I've several friends who have weird electrical gremlins and other issues with Audi. I would perhaps lease an Audi but would never purchase another one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
regensburg94
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR M3 ZCP 6MT

Yes, BMW is losing its way for sure.

Not just Motor Trend but a number of magazines have cited the new cars (3 Series, 5 Series) as not quite up to the mark of previous generations.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Definitely Audi is gaining the upper hand with regard to the A4/S4, A6/S6, and A8/S8 vis a vis the new generation BMWs across several comparison tests (and vis-a-vis the consumer). So far the E9x M3 has remained untouchable, but that too will probably change with the F80. It's almost like a perfect role-reversal and a little troubling given BMW had a nearly 50 year dynasty of producing performance sedans that were beyond reproach. Audi has strived to become BMW while BMW is trying to be more like Audi. Short term that will probably work for BMW, but longer-term any company in any industry that abandons its core values or tries to be something else usually doesn't pan out well. Even in the case of Porsche, whom people give a lot of heat for SUVs, large sedans, etc, is still building performance category leaders embracing and emphasizing Porsche's core performance strengths that it built up over decades. The 911 is the epitome of this philosophy...Porsche invested in the same styling/engine setup since the early 60s and faced a ton of criticism for sticking to and reinvesting in the formula until all of a sudden, they nearly perfected the car (despite the 'suboptimal' back of the rear axle engine setup).

Last edited by FogCityM3; 12-02-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I was just reading that article. Audi has taken great strides to be as competitive as possible in the various car segments.

Look at what you get for the pricing that they offer theirs cars at. The S7 is almost $30k cheaper, comes with better performance, interior is top notch (seen in person and drove the S7 on Friday) and what you get as a base package is something heavily optioned in a BMW, MB, Porsche, etc..

If I were shopping for this type of vehicle, the S7 would be a no brainer in my mind.

Also, can we all agree on what the hell BMW IS DOING WITH THEIR BRAKES!!! Sliding calipers belong on a $20k car. Even Buick these days has brembos in their "sportier" cars.

Get with the program BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

I really do not like audis... I've worked on them , driven them, etc; still not a fan
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
What about Audi's reliability and ease to repair (especially DIY)?

I've been reading in another forum that Audi < BMW in terms of reliability, and Audi cars break down often. Wonder if it's all subjective.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

They're venturing into a new direction where the competition has more experience and strength. They've seen a lot of their series car buyers move to other brands, namely Audi, so they're changing the series cars to appeal to those buyers. Making them softer makes for a worse platform for M to work with, and in a changing environment with strict fuel requirements and safety standards. Basically, market and political forces.

It's all cyclical though... I think these are teething problems we'll continue to see for a few years as BMW learns forced induction, FWD and AWD, electric steering, etc. BMW and M are innovative though, so I believe in time we'll see the pendulum swing back this way.

For now, I'll enjoy my 2013 M3. Still near perfect 6 years into the model.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Good points...the engineering and innovation cultures at BMW are still good, so maybe not all hope is lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
They're venturing into a new direction where the competition has more experience and strength. They've seen a lot of their series car buyers move to other brands, namely Audi, so they're changing the series cars to appeal to those buyers. Making them softer makes for a worse platform for M to work with, and in a changing environment with strict fuel requirements and safety standards. Basically, market and political forces.

It's all cyclical though... I think these are teething problems we'll continue to see for a few years as BMW learns forced induction, FWD and AWD, electric steering, etc. BMW and M are innovative though, so I believe in time we'll see the pendulum swing back this way.

For now, I'll enjoy my 2013 M3. Still near perfect 6 years into the model.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Recent comparison tests show a disturbing trend with new BMW models:[*]Motor Trend, S8 vs Alpina B7: S8 blew it away[*]Road and Track, S7 vs 650 Gran Coupe: S7 pretty clear winner[*]Motor Trend, Panamera GTS (not Audi, I realize) vs M5: M5 absolutely panned as disappointing, big, imprecise

You could also add:
* S4 > F30 335i
* S6 > 535i
* R8 V10 Plus > anything from BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

No, I don't think that Audi has overtaken BMW. The current M3 triumphs over the much newer RS5 in nearly every comparison test. The 1M thrashes the TT-RS. And if you want a taste of artificial steering you should drive the new S4.

I think that it's closer than ever in the large performance saloon category, specifically. The M5, Panamera, E63, S models, XFR, etc. all seem legit options.

I am very anxious to see what ///M does with the F80 M3. They seem to be on the right path with it. (EDIT: Given current restrictions.. I'd much prefer an updated S65 + 100 hp )

Last edited by FormulaMMM; 12-02-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I like Audi's styling but I have found BMW to be much more reliable and a better balanced chassis. I used to live in MN so Audi Quattro was great for winter driving. I used to have an RS6, S4, S8 and a Q7. All of those cars had odd repair needs. S4 needed a new transmission after 12k miles, Q7 needed an engine repair that took 2 weeks (at 20k miles) and the RS6 had recurring suspension issues. The S8 had a weird electronic glitch that required a reset of the computer to fix (found this out after two shops made multiple attempts to fix over a few weeks). I think Audi is improving but I have had 0 issues with my M3 after 36k miles. Same was true for my '05 e36 M3 and '01 328i back in the day....
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I have had 0 issues with my M3 after 36k miles. Same was true for my '05 e36 M3 and '01 328i back in the day....
I think you accidentally typed either a 0 instead of a 9, or a 3 instead of a 4.
Did you have a '95 e36 or '05 e46?

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I completely agree with the reliability factor of BMW being far superior. I have come from a long line of RS, S, and AMG models. All of these cars had more issues than you could possibly imagine. Especially the 4.2 V8 platform from Audi.

The only time I have my M in the shop is for performance or cosmetic reasons!

This is why I went to BMW in 2010

I still dabble with the RS brand within Audi (owning a TTRS). I am very happy with vehicle so far. Is it perfect..no. Mostly from a technology standpoint and I wish the seats were better bolstered. But, the engine and tranny have been rock solid and it's never in the shop..knock on wood..ha!

Some great points being made here.. A lot of manufacturers are trying to compete with BMW in reliability. And like one of the posters mentioned, BMW is creating vehicles to compete and regain market share from the brands that have taken business away. As others have mentioned, EPA guidelines are strict these days it almost as though car makers are told how they are allowed to make their cars (except for a few brands like the new Viper as just one example).

One thing in the background not car related is the customer service from BMW. Last year BMW sent me this beautiful carbon fiber pen just as a thank you( I'm sure many of you got this as well). In all the years I've owned Audi and MB, all I get is a crappy magazine and a mass produced letter. BMW goes above and beyond in customer satisfaction. As a result you get loyalty from the customer. I know I will always have a BMW in my garage in one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

Why is this even a thread? Volkswago/Audi are not on the same planet. I wouldn't look twice at a Volkswagon/Audi unless its an SUV. That said. I recall a thread where Volkswagon/Audi was being compared to Honda/Acura as they should be. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Sorry to rant but not a fan.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Having driven BMW' for 25 years now, I have a strong feeling that it's all about Marketing now ... I might be wrong ... Some years back the Auto Industry was looking at BMW ... Trying to follow them I mean ... I strongly think that trend is changing.

Too bad ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Having driven BMW' for 25 years now, I have a strong feeling that it's all about Marketing now ... I might be wrong ... Some years back the Auto Industry was looking at BMW ... Trying to follow them I mean ... I strongly think that trend is changing.

Too bad ...
yeah i have this feeling as well. bmw wont be getting any new business from me i dont think. the greatest drivers cars may have already been made.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

If my M3 were totaled right now I would get an Audi RS5. OTOH, when my lease is up I suspect the next M3 will be the car to get. It's a constant battle of competitors and I love it.
Appreciate 0