BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

09-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

DIY Request: Intalling Oil pan heater

I do short trips in the winter. I want to protect my engine by heating the oil over night so that upon start up in the morning, the engine oil will be closer to operating temperature. A product like this:

https://wolverineheater.com/collecti...c-fluid-heater

It needs to be attached to the bottom of the oil pan. I know our oil pan is protected by a metal shield. Before I order the oil heater and remove the shield, has anyone done it before? Is there a flat area on the bottom of the oil pan to attach the oil heater?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
golfotron
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I would like to install this on my m3 too, because i always do short trips frome home to my work.
S2 - Evolve ECU Remap | Coded | Rogue Power Pulley | UUC Short Shifter | MS - Bypass Track Pipes & S2 Intake Charge Kit | VPH900 Voltphreaks Lightweight Battery | Eibach Springs | 19" VMR Wheels V703 | Cluch Stop | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Matte Black Kidney Grills & Fender Grilles | Black Chrome Polish Tips | Alcantara Steering Wheel Trim | CF hood vents | Bmw performance Shift Knob | StopTech Brake Lines | Ferodo ds2500 pads
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
I do short trips in the winter. I want to protect my engine by heating the oil over night so that upon start up in the morning, the engine oil will be closer to operating temperature. A product like this:

https://wolverineheater.com/collecti...c-fluid-heater

It needs to be attached to the bottom of the oil pan. I know our oil pan is protected by a metal shield. Before I order the oil heater and remove the shield, has anyone done it before? Is there a flat area on the bottom of the oil pan to attach the oil heater?
I have one on mine. Because of the pan design you have to install it on the side, but it still works as its supposed to. I did an oil change after leaving it on for 4 hours and the temperature of the oil was right at 107 degrees F. My plug coils and rests on top the drivers side head light and is fastened with zip ties along the path there nearest the wheel side of the bay to avoid corrosion or excess heat. Malek at MRF had no problem working around it when he did my rod bearings last September.
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      04-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoor View Post
I have one on mine. Because of the pan design you have to install it on the side, but it still works as its supposed to. I did an oil change after leaving it on for 4 hours and the temperature of the oil was right at 107 degrees F. My plug coils and rests on top the drivers side head light and is fastened with zip ties along the path there nearest the wheel side of the bay to avoid corrosion or excess heat. Malek at MRF had no problem working around it when he did my rod bearings last September.
Can you please post a picture of the install
thanks
John
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

No, sorry. I didn’t get pictures and it will be some time before I’m under the car with metal skid plate off. To clarify mine is on the back of the larger sump at the rear of the engine 90 degrees from the ground. I used the Wolverine model 25. If I recall correctly it took about 2-3 hours start to finish.
Appreciate 0