BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #23
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

i'm in college too. what college do you go to that you bring your books to class? i've NEVER heard of anyone at any school who actually brought their books to class. the ONLY class i bring any book to is my Honors General Human Anatomy class and that's because it's Anatomy and i can't exactly recognize 200 cells, 600 of muscles, 200 bones, and 40 kinds of tissues of the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #24
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
i'm in college too. what college do you go to that you bring your books to class? i've NEVER heard of anyone at any school who actually brought their books to class. the ONLY class i bring any book to is my Honors General Human Anatomy class and that's because it's Anatomy and i can't exactly recognize 200 cells, 600 of muscles, 200 bones, and 40 kinds of tissues of the top of my head.
Well I go home on weekends, which means lugging my laptop + books all the way from campus to the train station and then back Monday morning. I go to school in the city, Northwestern University. Many kids go home to the suburbs on weekends.
Also I tend to go around campus to study, friend's dorms, library, local pub.

And I don't play computer games much. So I don't need the performance. I don't pirate movies or torrent anything at all. I buy my music from iTunes. And I don't watch movies on laptop, I have a 120" HD projector hooked up to a Blu-Ray player. Can't watch movies on on tiny laptop screens. And tv shows I stream them from their official sites like ABC.com.

Again the stressing point here is its a secondary computer.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #25
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Quit making up excuses for your need for a completely useless laptop.

I know a ton of kids will be interested in this in Boston and a few will get it saying its so light and nice its way worth it. Fuck no it isnt in college you need everything in your laptop. And its not much lighter than my girlfriends macbook.

This is the macbook for snobs, plain and simple.
Man you just sold me!

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 02:37 AM   #26
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

I am also in college, this whole laptop thing is just a hype + being cool thing.. last year I only brought my laptop once, and that was to present my powerpoint presentation... mind you, it was an old school pentium 3 laptop i got from my friend for $50 bucks..

this particular apple air is just another product for teenagers to brag about having the latest technlogy.. Yes this thing is thin and light, but no cd rom? and 1 usb??! instant NO for me..

instead, i purchased an asus eee pc.. this is truely a PORTABLE laptop for college students.. is the same weight as the apple air, but it is only 7 inches so you can practically put it in any bag or backpack.. it has a cd player , more than 2 USB connectors, and a simple, easy to use and FAST linux OS.. + is only 350 dollars. I get lots of compliments saying how neat this laptop is + they are amazed at the price..

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm
      02-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #27
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
That's the thing, you can have all your gripes about it, but there's a reason why groups and masses of people are huddled around the MBAs at the Apple Stores.

It really comes down to the fact that once you look at it in person and once you hold it, you'll realize you want one.
Just like a BMW... Try one, touch one, and you're screwed...
      02-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
Sam Da Man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SPACE GRAY '07 328i Coupe

well i work at bestbuy and just got the air in, i had the chance to hold it and shake it around..its very sturdy and super light...the box that comes with it is tiny too..deff some1 will steal these easy so we lock em up hardcore..but its awesome having a fully functional laptop that is so small...im deff gunna get 1 and put windows on it lol...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #29
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
Waste.
+1 too flimsy and no disc drives right?
      02-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #30
Sam Da Man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SPACE GRAY '07 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
IT IS NOT FLIMSY AT ALL! HAVE U HELD IT? I HAVE! very sturdy!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #31
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
yeah you have obviously never held one. i think the thing is entirely ridiculous but if it's one thing it's VERY sturdy. way more so than the standard macbook and even the macbook pro i'd say.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #32
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323d View Post
I am also in college, this whole laptop thing is just a hype + being cool thing.. last year I only brought my laptop once, and that was to present my powerpoint presentation... mind you, it was an old school pentium 3 laptop i got from my friend for $50 bucks..

this particular apple air is just another product for teenagers to brag about having the latest technlogy.. Yes this thing is thin and light, but no cd rom? and 1 usb??! instant NO for me..

instead, i purchased an asus eee pc.. this is truely a PORTABLE laptop for college students.. is the same weight as the apple air, but it is only 7 inches so you can practically put it in any bag or backpack.. it has a cd player , more than 2 USB connectors, and a simple, easy to use and FAST linux OS.. + is only 350 dollars. I get lots of compliments saying how neat this laptop is + they are amazed at the price..

Some of us bring our laptops everyday to class. My school as Wi-Fi covering the entire campus, all of are classes have an online portion which we can view/download assignments, where we upload assignments, online quizzes and online tests. Also all the lecture slides are posted so you simply go to class download them in class and take notes as you go. Some books are even posted online for us so we dont have to lug it around..

For me I carry 1 pen 2 pencils and 1 notebook and 1 laptop for all my classes.

I had an Air on pre ordered but end up canning it after finding out that my Powerbook G4 has the same performance level, granted I dont mind carry around 5lbs of laptop but after a while it begins to kill me.. I guess the big reason for me canning my pre order was my attachment to my powerbook book and I didnt like the glossy screen or the keyboard on the Air, and I hope the new macbook pro updates to change to the Air's keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #33
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Some of us bring our laptops everyday to class. My school as Wi-Fi covering the entire campus, all of are classes have an online portion which we can view/download assignments, where we upload assignments, online quizzes and online tests. Also all the lecture slides are posted so you simply go to class download them in class and take notes as you go. Some books are even posted online for us so we dont have to lug it around..

For me I carry 1 pen 2 pencils and 1 notebook and 1 laptop for all my classes.

I had an Air on pre ordered but end up canning it after finding out that my Powerbook G4 has the same performance level, granted I dont mind carry around 5lbs of laptop but after a while it begins to kill me.. I guess the big reason for me canning my pre order was my attachment to my powerbook book and I didnt like the glossy screen or the keyboard on the Air, and I hope the new macbook pro updates to change to the Air's keyboard.

ya, i guess that depends on what you studying.. I am a geography major, and all my classes and lectures, only a few students bring laptops to our classes, and usually they are playing games or just browsing the internet..

have u looked at the Asus EEE PC? i think is a great 2nd PC to have . I will be moving to a different univesrity next year wherie will be living in residence, I will proably bring my old pentium 3 laptop as my main residence doom pc, and bring the asus EEE pc arond to campus.
      02-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #34
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
ya, i guess that depends on what you studying.. I am a geography major, and all my classes and lectures, only a few students bring laptops to our classes, and usually they are playing games or just browsing the internet..

have u looked at the Asus EEE PC? i think is a great 2nd PC to have . I will be moving to a different univesrity next year wherie will be living in residence, I will proably bring my old pentium 3 laptop as my main residence doom pc, and bring the asus EEE pc arond to campus.
Its a lot more of OSX vs Window debate.. I wont use a Windows computer unless I am getting paid.. I cant stand windows at all and I dont understand why people put up with it, I spend more time fixing them or trying to get things to work than getting stuff done, I am like 24/7 tech support for all my friends and family when it comes to computers and most are shocked when they find out that I only have 1 PC and 3 macs yet know so much about how to fix junk and I only have the PC for my blackberry since they havent spent any time improving blackberry desktop for OS X, along with my portable XM radio that is windows update only along with a few windows update only devices. Granted years ago before OS X it was the opposite I had 1 mac that was worthless like my current PC and the PC ruled the house but once OS X came out the tides changed, since OS X has come out it puts windows in the stone age.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #35
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
Apple is just trying to push it and push it and push it 'till they go out of business. Look at how many different products they have out there. I'd rather have just one moderate iPod and listen to my music instead having to select from 20 different iPods. Its ridiculous.

Let see the last time I checked there are 4 ipod, 3 Laptops, 2 iMacs, 2 Minis and 1 Mac Pro, oh and now 2 iphones Unless all the colors are confusing you....

You might be confused with Dell who has more products, and product confusion they create for anyone to understand what the real difference is between products.

Considering what you have to deal with Sony, Dell or HP, I think apple has a pretty simple line up and does not required lots of decision options to decide what you need or want, unless you confused by color choices.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #36
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
theres no cd drive thats pretty retarded that you have to carry around some portable one..
I have not used my cd player on my Powerbook in years, it sits idle for the most part, I tend to use my home network to get things on and off my powerbook and back it up to my large drive on my desktop. I remember when people could not believe Apple came out with a laptop without a floppy drive and people were going nuts saying how do get files off or share a file or install software. Again the last time I used a floppy was in the early 90's i have been used a network as means of get things on and off my computers for so many years I lost count.

Oh, I have 20 gig of music on my powerbook all of which was done buy connection my Powerbook to my desktop via the Firewire interface and Target Disk mode which transfer file faster then any other method out there.

So a missing CD is not an issue, you just have to think network in the case of the Air wireless network.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #37
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Honestly who cares about a CD drive.. the only program that I have a CD for install is MS office for mac on a PC you can download it and I am sure they will offer it for OSX via download soon. I hate having a bunch of install CD's around..

I see removing the CD drive from the laptop as the same deal back in the 90's when apple did away with the useless floppy drive (that PC's to this day still come with).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #38
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:

Have fun with that. There are smartphones with screens that have that resolution. You can't see anything it's so low res but otherwise I love the product. Give it an actual screen and I'd by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #39
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

i bring my laptop to class everyday too... but seriously... like, the difference between a 5 lbs. macbook compared to a 3.5 lbs. macbook air isn't a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #40
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
i bring my laptop to class everyday too... but seriously... like, the difference between a 5 lbs. macbook compared to a 3.5 lbs. macbook air isn't a big deal.
Air is 3lbs. But yea that ads up fast when you start adding have books.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #41
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

I thought this laptop would suck too until I saw one at the mac store. It's actually pretty nice, and with the solid state drive the performance wasnt that bad. I think it's a nice choice for someone who has say a mac pro desktop and just wants the ultimate portable. That said I wouldnt trade my macbook pro for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #42
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
there are way too many... "until you see it in person" posts

thats just like thinking britney spears is stupid until you see her in concert and realizing that she looks good and then you suddenly want to marry her
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #43
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

everyone needs to stop repping the SSD so hard. i forget who, it was on engadget. did a bench test regarding speeds of the SSD vs the PATA HDDand they were nearly identical and the PATA HDD was actually FASTER in some tests.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #44
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Man you just sold me!
You mean made you want to buy it? Or not buy it?

Quote:

The eee PC is the shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Just like a BMW... Try one, touch one, and you're screwed...
Eh, thats kind of what the brands want you to think and what people say to feel good about getting ripped off. Sure BMW's and Apple computers are good, but both have their flaws and at times prove its just the name. Are they both good still, yes. But not everything Apple touches turns to gold. Truthfully so far the iphone sucks unless you hack it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Da Man View Post
well i work at bestbuy and just got the air in, i had the chance to hold it and shake it around..its very sturdy and super light...the box that comes with it is tiny too..deff some1 will steal these easy so we lock em up hardcore..but its awesome having a fully functional laptop that is so small...im deff gunna get 1 and put windows on it lol...
First, I went to a best buy tonight, i would assume it would have been out if they have it. Secondly, Best buy does not have the iphones and i dont think will have these either. Also you prove your a dumbass with your putting windows on it line.