BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

iPhone issues with M3

Anyone have issues with their iPhone/iPod music "skipping" in their M3. The best way I can describe it is like having a CD playing and hitting a large bump where the music would pause/skip for a brief second. For some reason, my iPhone music is doing the same thing. I can be completely stopped at a light, driving down a smooth road...doesn't matter...it happens for no rhime or reason.

I'm using the std. white usb cable that came with the phone...could that be the issue?

Thoughts???
      10-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I have not had any issues but you have the new combox if you can see the album art. I assume you have the i device in the center console. I would try a different cord and see if that helps.
      10-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

No issues with the iPod in my car. There is one song in my collection that must have downloaded badly and sounds like a skipping record. But it is one song and it's the same on every iPod/iPhone I have it on. Does this happen on different, random songs? Given the iPod/iPhone's make up it will not skip. I run with mine every day and no skipping, except for that one song!

Edit: And I don't think it's the cable. Same one I'm using. But worth a shot, try a different one..

Last edited by kscarrol; 10-30-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Anyone have issues with their iPhone/iPod music "skipping" in their M3. The best way I can describe it is like having a CD playing and hitting a large bump where the music would pause/skip for a brief second. For some reason, my iPhone music is doing the same thing. I can be completely stopped at a light, driving down a smooth road...doesn't matter...it happens for no rhime or reason.

I'm using the std. white usb cable that came with the phone...could that be the issue?

Thoughts???
yep, had it happened when trying to going over speed bump..the music just paused and then move on to the next second. and skip the second when you are car hit the bump.

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
digi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

I'm in the same boat but mine goes a bit further. I had my 2011.5 for a week now and for the first few days, iphone music worked flawlessly. Then at day 4 or 5, it started to skip a little here and there. Now it's just not connecting at all. After plugging in the cable, it would read it for about 5 seconds and then disconnect as soon as I try to play a song or pull up a playlist. It reads "not connected" next to ipod in external devices menu. It shouldn't be the cable because my phone is still "charging". I don't think it's my phone as i haven't dropped it since I got my car. It sucks that out of all the gizmos the car has, my most important feature decides to fail.... oh well guess the fiasco begins again...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
welches
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sports Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post

Thoughts???
I just started having the same issue today on my post-September 2010 built 328i. Google searched the topic and only found this thread. Any luck fixing the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I'm thinking it's a connector or cable issue. The only iPod that uses a disk-based HDD is the classic so that's the only one that can physically skip.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Just to give everyone an update, I tried several different Apple cables in my car and they all skipped (although some were less than others). I finally took the car into the dealership and the lead tech told me I needed the BMW "Y" cable to make it work properly. I tried to explain to him the September production changes eliminated the need for the "Y" cable...he told me I was wrong, and that the Apple cable is not the proper connection for the car. Anyways, they gave me a free "Y" cable and it did solve the skipping/pausing problem. However, when I plugged the "Y" cable into my iphone I get an error message that the equipment is not optimized to work with the phone. Also, my album art does not show up in the iDrive display...but that being said, the skipping/pausing was resolved.

Just yesterday, I grabbed another Apple cord that I hadn't tried before. It works perfect and my album art displays just as it should. So in short, likely there is a bad batch of Apple cords that cause the skipping/pausing. You just need to try another one until you find the one that works (I tried 3 before getting one that works).

On another note, I sent the service technician a copy of the BMW press release that explains the "Y" cable is no longer necessary for September 2010 production models. He didn't know what to say!
      12-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
M359
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

On my '08 with the BMW "Y" cable I get that error message on the iPhone and it has dropped the track it was playing a couple of times. I am blaming the connector in the armrest so far...
Appreciate 0