BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #45
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I'd like to see a comparison between these and the OEM EDC suspension. I know they claim these are "performance oriented" but what does that mean? Will they perform similar to coilovers? Will the car handle any better than with the OEM dampers?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #46
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

any picture of these?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #47
BMW Fanatik
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
any picture of these?
There's pictures on the first page.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #48
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Where's the promised review?
      05-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #49
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
... Should have a review shortly for you.
Any news
      06-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #50
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

I wrote a short snippet on another thread but here is a bit of a longer version of my review:

Install:

Fairly easy. Very well developed product with the wiring diagram, connections etc. Truly a plug and play solution. Took me a hell of a time to get these in place but end result was worth it. No EDC failure light and EDC works in all three modes. Installed with GC Camber plates and Eibach Springs. NO ISSUES with the install piece.

Why Eibach? Most Bilstein shocks have been matched to a tad higher rate than stock and they sell Eibachs as a kit. During my E36 M3 years, I spoke with Bilstein and the shocks were designed to mate with stock Euro M3 springs (10-15% higher than US spec) and they recommended Eibach back in the days as well. Perhaps the partnership...

HD vs Sport? The different is the shorter shaft in Sport and has nothing to do with dampening/valving. So no performance benefit except being slammed.

Drive:

Actually MUCH better than stock in comfort mode. There is a built in bump stop inside the front strut (rear shock has its own bump stop) so increased suspension travel. The shaft is MUCH thicker than the stock one altough you are adding a good bit of weight with these steel bodied shocks. Stock shocks are an amazing piece of work to be all aluminum.

I couldnt find that much of a different in normal but under sport the car drives stiffer for sure. Even in bumpy DC streets, the ride is significantly better than stock as I am not hopping. This is also due to the fact these shocks have greater rebound whereas the stock ones lacked that.

Ride Height:

People complain about these sitting higher than stock. Not in my case. The car was measured before and after and is on par with the Eibach drop spec.

Spirited Driving:

I cannot speak to the shocks in isolation but these shocks along with Eibachs and H&R Front bar is just incredible. Very very tolerable on the street with relatively flat in the corners.

Am happy with the outcome. For the money I could have gotten the V3 kit (if you compare retail to retail for the shocks, springs, bar) but I wanted the EDC functionality and did not want to compromise street performance for marginal improvement on track as I a NOT racing or time trailing this.

The feel and overall driving factor has been greatly enhanced.

I did compare it back to back with my friend's ZCP and you can tell this car is both more responsive and more comfortable (again due to increased suspension travel and not bouncing on bump stops).

If you have been considering these, you wont regret it.

Hope this helps.

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 06-25-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:22 AM   #51
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

^ I've just ordered a set in HK based on your review, and since I have a Euro car, I'll just put these on the ZCP springs I have and see how it goes.

It's going to take like 2 months for them to arrive since Gas Shocks can't be shipped via air.

Thanks for the inspiring review!
      06-25-2014, 03:55 AM   #52
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Thanks for the review. Still on the fence about these due to the price. Adding the price of regular drop springs and you're approaching the price of high quality mid level coilovers like the V3's and RT's
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #53
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
I wrote a short snipped on another thread but here is a bit of a longer version of my review:

Install:

Fairly easy. Very well developed product with the wiring diagram, connections etc. Truly a plug and play solution. Took me a hell of a time to get these in place but end result was worth it. No EDC failure light and EDC works in all three modes. Installed with GC Camber plates and Eibach Springs. NO ISSUES with the install piece.

Why Eibach? Most Bilstein shocks have been matched to a tad higher rate than stock and they sell Eibachs as a kit. During my E36 M3 years, I spoke with Bilstein and the shocks were designed to mate with stock Euro M3 springs (10-15% higher than US spec) and they recommended Eibach back in the days as well. Perhaps the partnership...

HD vs Sport? The different is the shorter shaft in Sport and has nothing to do with dampening/valving. So no performance benefit except being slammed.

Drive:

Actually MUCH better than stock in comfort mode. There is a built in bump stop inside the front strut (rear shock has its own bump stop) so increased suspension travel. The shaft is MUCH thicker than the stock one altough you are adding a good bit of weight with these steel bodied shocks. Stock shocks are an amazing piece of work to be all aluminum.

I couldnt find that much of a different in normal but under sport the car drives stiffer for sure. Even in bumpy DC streets, the ride is significantly better than stock as I am not hopping. This is also due to the fact these shocks have greater rebound whereas the stock ones lacked that.

Ride Height:

People complain about these sitting higher than stock. Not in my case. The car was measured before and after and is on par with the Eibach drop spec.

Spirited Driving:

I cannot speak to the shocks in isolation but these shocks along with Eibachs and H&R Front bar is just incredible. Very very tolerable on the street with relatively flat in the corners.

Am happy with the outcome. For the money I could have gotten the V3 kit (if you compare retail to retail for the shocks, springs, bar) but I wanted the EDC functionality and did not want to compromise street performance for marginal improvement on track as I a NOT racing or time trailing this.

The feel and overall driving factor has been greatly enhanced.

I did compare it back to back with my friend's ZCP and you can tell this car is both more responsive and more comfortable (again due to increased suspension travel and not bouncing on bump stops).

If you have been considering these, you wont regret it.

Hope this helps.

Lutfy
Thank you ... very well written
      07-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #54
Stephen142
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3

I wonder which one will have more comfortable drive and handle bump better? This or Ohlins?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #55
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrifeM3 View Post
I am going to with Dinan coilover kit and these shocks so that I can keep the EDC.
Any review of these with the Dinan Stage 1 suspension?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #56
lutfy
Captain
Rep

I love this setup with Eibach and HR front only bar. Why I love this and wont drive my 911 on the track? This (action starts at 1:10 mark) :

Cannot go wrong with the shocks. SUPER comfy on the street and VERY satisfying on the track on Sport mode. I didnt like driving the M3 on DC roads but its a pleasure now.

Lutfy

PS: Not affiliated with Bilstein just a very satisfied consumer.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #57
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Any pics of the drop on your car? I have ohlins and its definitely just a bit more harsh in slow speeds, but rides nice driving quickly. Im thinking moving to this eventually with springs as i do a lot of city driving. Nice driving btw
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #58
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Any pics of the drop on your car? I have ohlins and its definitely just a bit more harsh in slow speeds, but rides nice driving quickly. Im thinking moving to this eventually with springs as i do a lot of city driving. Nice driving btw
Think of it as almost identical to ZCP suspension, maybe just a hair more drop. This is with Eibach springs. Car did settle a bit with time. Looks completely stock and identical compared to a ZCP car. I did a finger measure up front and its half finger lower in the front compared to ZCP and identical at the back.

I can assure you there is never a harsh moment here. Another thing is that the stock struts came with some huge bump stops. Bilsteins dont use any external stops but have built in one hence more suspension travel and cushy ride on the streets.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #59
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Cool, ill eventually will go to these. Hopefully more people will have more reviews as thorough as yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #60
Brians
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Frz Drk Grey

It would sure be nice if they made these dampers for the ZCP setup. I would be all over them.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #61
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Please PM price to 89139

Would there ever be a group buy on an item like this? Or would this not attract enough attention since its a stock replacement?

I'm definitely interested!

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #62
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians View Post
It would sure be nice if they made these dampers for the ZCP setup. I would be all over them.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #63
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I've been running these on my ZCP car for 2 weeks. I would say that you're looking at about 0.5-0.8cm increase in front height after the shock settles. I knew that the ZCP springs would sit a tad higher, and it is fine for me.

The car doesn't wiggle as much after a speed bump. The ride is firmer, but there's a level of damping that wasn't there before, so you have a more use-able sport setting (it's not jarring anymore). There's definitely more feel and feedback from the steering, the pedals, and my behind.

Overall, the performance of these superseded my expectations. It's a good product that works, and it's nice that the wife wouldn't notice.
      09-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #64
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
Please PM price to 89139

Would there ever be a group buy on an item like this? Or would this not attract enough attention since its a stock replacement?

I'm definitely interested!
PM coming your way

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #65
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I've been running these on my ZCP car for 2 weeks. I would say that you're looking at about 0.5-0.8cm increase in front height after the shock settles. I knew that the ZCP springs would sit a tad higher, and it is fine for me.

The car doesn't wiggle as much after a speed bump. The ride is firmer, but there's a level of damping that wasn't there before, so you have a more use-able sport setting (it's not jarring anymore). There's definitely more feel and feedback from the steering, the pedals, and my behind.

Overall, the performance of these superseded my expectations. It's a good product that works, and it's nice that the wife wouldn't notice.
what about the rear? < 1cm of increase? so basically these will result in the same ride height as a ZCP car with the stock ZCP springs with no camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #66
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Interesting. Wonder if these shocks coupled with a good adjustable sleeve kit like TC Kline would offer the right height adjustment to offset the ride height increase perfectly. This would make for a potent combo while retaining ZCP/EDC. Would be expensive, but probably worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post

Appreciate 0