BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Thinking about buying this car...need input

I was in the market for a Z4 M but came across this M3 that seems to be in my price range. It was a trade in at a local Infiniti dealer here and is now being offered for sale through them. Here are the stats:

2008 Sedan
6MT
Silver exterior and interior
19,xxx miles
Premium and tech package
clean carfax w/ 2 previous owners
Dealer list price is $44,988

Here are my concerns though: The first owner is listed as "corporate fleet" on the carfax and was titled and owned in New Jersey (car is in florida now). This makes me think it was actually owned by a BMW corporate employee for 7 months. The carfax also states "Four tires mounted and balanced" at 1,700 miles and 4,000 miles. If this is really the case then obviously this person drove the car pretty hard.

Also, the car currently has matte black VMR csl reps on it and the dealer doesnt have the stock 19's. I dont mind the vmr's so much but the stock 19's are high quality forged wheels and these are pretty cheap.

It seems like the car could have been driven pretty hard by its first owner but then again this is an M3 and is meant to be driven. If the dealer is willing to give it to me for $40K out the door then I would prob pull the trigger. So what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

I think you've analyzed the issues pretty well but additionally I would want to know the in-service date so you know how long the warranty will last. It's also not clear from your post whether you'd prefer a Z4M or the M3 which would go to your willingness to compromise and/or drive a hard bargain and be willing to walk away. FWIW I'd be wary of the way that car may have been treated and think the price is def high though tough to say how much without knowing all options on the car or is it only the two you listed? Keep us posted though
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 IB M3

Garage List
Shop around online and see what a car like that is going for and then decided if it truly is a good deal and what you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

The car sounds like it's in a good shape and the miles are not that high. I think you do have a good point about the car being driven very hard, but if you don't notice any problems with the car visually, or a mechanical inspection doesn't show anything wrong with it, than you might be safe. I would also ask them if you can keep it for at least 24 hours as a test drive to see if the car have any shakes, pulls, addles, squeaks, etc.. that could have been caused by someone driving it hard. If you think you will keep this car for a long time, than there are other factors to consider here like the wheels, paint condition, options and over all. If you want this car for a few years, it might be a good buy because you can always sell it in a few years. The price is not high, but it's not a steal either. You can probably buy one similar to it from a BMW dealer with a certified pre owned with stock 19s for about the same price. good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
jtv107
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Called about this car last week. The dealer won't sell it for $40k. But, there's a few M3's to choose from in Florida around this price. Maybe wait until Labor Day. They've had this car for sale for at least two months.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

The fact that it had new tires on it after the 7 month period when a BMW employee could have owned it does not surprise me. I believe that in order for them to sell it as a CPO vehicle it must have new tires on it. I may be wrong, but the dealer by me always puts new tires on the CPO cars. My first Bimmer was a factory employee car that they owned for 7 months. I think that is how long they are aloud to keep them and sell them back at the special deal they get. The fact that Carfax lists the tire changes is kind of odd, more then likely due to being an insurance claim. If it was in fact an insurance claim and no body repairs are listed I would guess it was because the wheels and tires were stolen. So I would not read too much into the two tire changes. I would also maybe call a local BMW dealer with the vin# to see if it is in fact a CPO car and if it is, can it be transferred to you.
      08-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [9.00]
nice price for a M3. 20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv107 View Post
Called about this car last week. The dealer won't sell it for $40k. But, there's a few M3's to choose from in Florida around this price. Maybe wait until Labor Day. They've had this car for sale for at least two months.
$40k is at the top of my price range too so if they arent willing to come down then Ill have to walk away. I figure it cant hurt to ask though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM3 View Post
I would also maybe call a local BMW dealer with the vin# to see if it is in fact a CPO car and if it is, can it be transferred to you.
Thats a great idea. I just assumed it wasn't a cpo car since it was for sale at an Infiniti dealership but I didnt even think about the second owner possibly purchasing it as a cpo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphatic View Post
I think you've analyzed the issues pretty well but additionally I would want to know the in-service date so you know how long the warranty will last. It's also not clear from your post whether you'd prefer a Z4M or the M3 which would go to your willingness to compromise and/or drive a hard bargain and be willing to walk away.
In-service date for first owner was Jan 2008 so about 1.5 yrs of warranty left. I would really prefer the M3 over the Z4 M but price is the main factor. CPO z4 m's are going for the low 30's for a 2007/8 model. Virtually all the 2008 M3's I see are going for mid 40's on the low end which is too much for me. If I can get this car for $40k out the door that would be at the top of my budget but I would def do it for my dream car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoM3 View Post
The car sounds like it's in a good shape and the miles are not that high. I think you do have a good point about the car being driven very hard, but if you don't notice any problems with the car visually, or a mechanical inspection doesn't show anything wrong with it, than you might be safe. I would also ask them if you can keep it for at least 24 hours as a test drive to see if the car have any shakes, pulls, addles, squeaks, etc.. that could have been caused by someone driving it hard.
Actually, I took it on the highway today during my test drive and did notice a slight vibration in the wheel when I got up to speed. It wasnt shaking so much that I was concerned but I definitely felt a little something. Thought the wheels probably just needed a good balancing.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
inter1032
Major
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2013 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
$40k is at the top of my price range too so if they arent willing to come down then Ill have to walk away. I figure it cant hurt to ask though.
ehh that might be hard because thats what trade in value is around
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Best tip, you need to get a service record of the car by a BMW SA. This will tell you everything that was done on the car, and give you some peace of mind.

Also, keep in mind you still have that warranty, which is a definite plus.

Also, is this car cpo ed by the 2nd driver? Extra years on the warranty would be an added plus.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0