BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

M3 M-drive Throttle Settings

First off I tried searching for this so please do not bash me too harshly for asking this. I know the M-drive sport setting gives you a more choppy feeling, but I just assumed it was remaping the throttle feel in the drive by wire system (i.e. less travel gave you more go). Then I read this article on the 09 m3 like I have and was curious about this line:

"Three control maps are also available for precise, on-demand management of the engine. These management functions operate not only on the position of the throttle butterflies in the intake manifold, but also on further factors and parameters significantly changing the behavior and response of the engine"

Does it really change the intake butterflies? I always assumed it just changed how much reply you got from the pedal travel.

It's near the bottom. I hope this isn't breaking rules by posting this link. I'm not plugging his site or trying to make money off it. If its out of line please delete it.
Article:
http://www.rsportscars.com/bmw/2009-bmw-m3-coupe/

Edit: does anyone know what "other parameters" are adjusted with the throttle settings?

Last edited by TX; 12-13-2010 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Last line addition for a Q and typo
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
G.R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E93 M3

The power button is the main factor for the adjustement in the throttle
      12-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Does it really change the intake butterflies? I always assumed it just changed how much reply you got from the pedal travel.
It's just two ways of saying the same thing though, right? When comparing the three programs, for any given throttle input, you could either say that the butterflies are in the same position while the pedal is in a different position, or that the pedal is in a different position while the butterflies are in the same position.

What they are not saying is that the different maps actually increase the operating range of the butterflies. That is to say, regardless of which map you use the pedal will be able to make the butterflies move from fully closed to full open.

Quote:
Edit: does anyone know what "other parameters" are adjusted with the throttle settings?
Gas mileage?

Just kidding - I actually don't know. What I do know is that the power and torque curve remain the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
dpsfm3
M enthusiast. BMW CCA member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 7MDCT AW loaded

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456936