BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #23
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I just had my full Akra exhaust installed yesterday. I did not want a really loud exhaust but wanted performance gains and wt savings. I was under the assumption that the sound was not much louder than stock. Believe me it is louder than stock! At idle it has a much deeper rumble and you hear it in the cabin. Wonder what my wife will think when she returns from Italy? I have a track day today so will be able to comment more but one thing is for sure it is not going to be too subdued for this 60 year old. Mine came with the deleter module so for now at least no tune.
that's what I've heard...that the Akra and Gintani Sport are about the same decibel level and perform almost the same in terms of loudness.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i have the Dinan Midpipe and Dinan Muffler. i love my system. it sounds amazing and has no drone at all at any rpm. there are sound clips on here of it. and the power increase was awesome

i have to bring my car to MWW in NJ sometime soon if you want to meet me there and hear it in person. vids do no justice for this set up. it sounds amazing in person and it is only loud when you want it to be. has that nice exotic sound to it
I heard your clips which is why I included the Dinan set up on the list. Impressive. What time frame are you looking at to be in NJ? I live in Northern NJ. I can meet you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

way better in person for sure. soon as i make my appt i can pm you and let you know. if you can't meet that day then when i pick it up we could meet over there.

although i am getting my diff put in so would be best to meet when i bring it bc after i won't be able to go over 5k rpm's. so if you want to hear the upper rpm ranges then bf is best

i let you know

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post
I heard your clips which is why I included the Dinan set up on the list. Impressive. What time frame are you looking at to be in NJ? I live in Northern NJ. I can meet you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
way better in person for sure. soon as i make my appt i can pm you and let you know. if you can't meet that day then when i pick it up we could meet over there.

although i am getting my diff put in so would be best to meet when i bring it bc after i won't be able to go over 5k rpm's. so if you want to hear the upper rpm ranges then bf is best

i let you know

H
Thanks H Bomb. PM me when you know for sure.

FYI. I won't be here May 7 - 11. Picking up the beast at the Welt.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I just had my full Akra exhaust installed yesterday. I did not want a really loud exhaust but wanted performance gains and wt savings. I was under the assumption that the sound was not much louder than stock. Believe me it is louder than stock! At idle it has a much deeper rumble and you hear it in the cabin. Wonder what my wife will think when she returns from Italy? I have a track day today so will be able to comment more but one thing is for sure it is not going to be too subdued for this 60 year old. Mine came with the deleter module so for now at least no tune.
I was afraid of that. I am leaning toward Akra. I'm still curious if I use the Dinan mid pipe which has 4 resonators and no cats compared to the Akra mid pipe with 2 resonators and 2 cats with the Akra slip-on if it will be lower in interior sound...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i will be going down before the 7th so your all good. will pm you couple days before.

do you know where Motor Works West is down there?? it is the Dinan dealer in NJ. there not far off of Rt 287. here is there website if you need directions

www.motorworkswest.com

Quote:
Thanks H Bomb. PM me when you know for sure.

FYI. I won't be here May 7 - 11. Picking up the beast at the Welt.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i will be going down before the 7th so your all good. will pm you couple days before.

do you know where Motor Works West is down there?? it is the Dinan dealer in NJ. there not far off of Rt 287. here is there website if you need directions

www.motorworkswest.com
I do know where it is.

Off on Monday, May 3 and weekends. During business hours on a weekday will be tough. PM me when you know for sure.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ok will do. do you get a lunch break during the day?? maybe could meet then.

if your not far from MMW i could always swing by you real quick bf i go to the shop if you can't make it over there to listen. not sure if your job would let you pop out real quick for a couple min

def will let you know though

Quote:
I do know where it is.

Off on Monday, May 3 and weekends. During business hours on a weekday will be tough. PM me when you know for sure.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #31
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok will do. do you get a lunch break during the day?? maybe could meet then.

if your not far from MMW i could always swing by you real quick bf i go to the shop if you can't make it over there to listen. not sure if your job would let you pop out real quick for a couple min

def will let you know though
OK. PM me when you know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #32
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Heard both Akra and Dinan full setup in person as CashOnly has Akra full setup and I have Dinan full setup.

Both sounds amazing. It's more personal preferences.
Dinan has Dinan's tone (can't explain but all Dinan exhausts have same style nice deep/mean tones) and Akra has very Titanium + european exotic tone.

Dinan has no cats compare to Akra but Akra weights nothing while Dinan weights quite a lot.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Heard both Akra and Dinan full setup in person as CashOnly has Akra full setup and I have Dinan full setup.

Dinan has Dinan's tone (can't explain but all Dinan exhausts have same style nice deep/mean tones) and Akra has very Titanium + european exotic tone.

Dinan has no cats compare to Akra but Akra weights nothing while Dinan weights quite a lot.
How's the interior noise (windows up) during highway and city cruising speeds for both systems? Were you in the car with Akra set up?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
2010e92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Sedan

+1000 Gintani Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #35
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:

The Dinan might weigh more than Akra....but it's still much lighter than stock. So, you are still losing weight, just not as much as Akra's.

I have the Dinan rear section and didn't think I'd be happy with it until I got the mid-pipe as well. Boy, was I wrong...it's much louder than stock when under load. As H-Bomb says..it's a deeper tone. When you get on it, it sounds really really good...very sporty, yet refined. For a classy BMW, it's a great fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #36
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i think above 4k the Dinan takes on a higher pitch exotic tone to it. only time i hear it to be deep is in the lower ranges when lugging it

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #37
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i did 2 vids with the windows up so you can hear the Dinan one plus when you hear it in person you will get a real idea. no drone inside at all. i like how it is only loud when you want it to be and it is a good loud such a sweet sound

Quote:
How's the interior noise (windows up) during highway and city cruising speeds for both systems? Were you in the car with Akra set up?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Dinan changes its sound after 4k and after 6k.
Dinan muffler vs Dinan full set up is like: 2 ch sound system vs. 5.1 surround sound.
Lovin my Dinan full set up sound for sure.

Both exhausts (akra and Dinan) have pretty good interior sound (noise level). Great for pleasure tones with daily drivability. But Dinan is a bit louder (inside and outside).

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0