BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #45
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
M dynamic mode in the rain? Sounds like you were up to something in terms of spinning the tires or drifting for fun. Or you are just stupid which does not sound like it is the case.

Listen man this is total crap BUT you really can't give bmw any excuse to void a warranty and unfortunately this is as much evidence as they need to show clear evidence of redlining the car at a speed 1/4 of what it is supposed to be at redline. Only a burnout (which is not just smoke-it means any spinning of the tires without much forward motion) Usually this produces smoke but in the rain it will not but still a burnout
I can't believe the idiots out there ! & yes I'm referring to you ....

Here you have a car that was pitched the ultimate track car with a raised redline at 8,300k heck the car was freaking designed for high revs PERIOD and you question this guy all the way from Hicksville Alabama .... WTF LOL
If you simply have nothing positive to say do me a favor keep your comments to yourself
Heck the car had launch control , rev limiter ( which is there for senerios like this one ) & high revs cut offs....

FOR THE RECORD BMWNA is dead wrong ! And even if you lived in Alaska there's no reason for all the rust !! To the OP check the history records of your car make sure the miles weren't dialed back !
Also have your dealer check the history of your revs to see what's the clock on high revs ( redline) that will show if you abuse your car .

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #46
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
M-dynamic I think was on (DSC was off in some capacity, either completely or M-dynamic), the tires did spin but there was no 'burnout'. A burnout usually means smoke and on the brakes a bit to make the tires spin and not gain traction. I don't think this single occurance should have caused my diff to literally fall off 2000km later, I could be wrong but I don't think an m3 is made to be that fragile.
M dynamic mode in the rain? Sounds like you were up to something in terms of spinning the tires or drifting for fun. Or you are just stupid which does not sound like it is the case.

Listen man this is total crap BUT you really can't give bmw any excuse to void a warranty and unfortunately this is as much evidence as they need to show clear evidence of redlining the car at a speed 1/4 of what it is supposed to be at redline. Only a burnout (which is not just smoke-it means any spinning of the tires without much forward motion) Usually this produces smoke but in the rain it will not but still a burnout
Easy buddy, even with M dynamic mode, you can't spin the tires all the way to redline. If they did, something was wrong with his stability and traction control.

I think BMW jump to a conclusion way too fast in this situation. Burn outs and other kinds of abuse should show excessive wear on other parts of the car such as the clutch and flywheel, axles, and subframe mounts. If those parts are fine, and the diff just falls off, don't you think there might be some sort of design flaw?
      08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #47
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Is this car DCT or manual?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

6mt
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #49
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Wrong. It's the combination of speed and rpm that they're nailing you on.

That being said I think a lot of M3 drivers would have a data point like this in their logs. Keep us updated on how things go.
If you don't, you should sell the car IMO!
      08-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #50
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

wow thats crazy man. I too had an issue with my diff making a loud bang under hard and spirited driving at times. Took it to the dealer and they said my diff was cracked. Took a week of fighting but in the end they agreed to replace and install new diff at no cost. Good luck sorry to hear this.

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #51
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

wow thats crazy that they denied warranty. did you try another BMW dealership ? i've come across situations where one dealer would deny warranty and another would approve it for repair. btw, doesnt bmw have a rust perforation warranty ? i am not sure if it covers the subframe of the car though.

and thats a lot of rust for a car with such mileage. i live in montreal and i have 50k kms and my car doesnt have nearly that much rust in that area. granted i tend not to drive it as often during winter and always give the underbody a good rinse with fresh water every few days if i do drive during winter.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #52
dasGuttenM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4, M3, F30, F10

sucks period, thats a ton of rust and it should be covered..it's the bloody "ultimate driving machine" for crying out loud..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #53
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

How can the Speedo, or even the ECU register 20mph at redline???
Isn't the speedo based on rear wheel speed and not front wheel?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #54
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
How can the Speedo, or even the ECU register 20mph at redline???
Isn't the speedo based on rear wheel speed and not front wheel?
The car monitors road speed from both the transmission output shaft and all four ABS wheel speed sensors. The speed from all four wheels is required by the ECM(s) so it can properly control the DSC.
      08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #55
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Sorry to hear that; would think that because you had brought up the issue (with numerous tell-tale warning signs) and the dealer failed to identify the problem at the time the concerns were raised, don't think it should matter whether there was an overrev in the past or not. Had the issue been properly identified by the dealer, the differential would have not ended up being damaged any further and you would have maybe been liable for having the bolt/bushings replaced. Seems like the burden of proof of "negligence" is actually on the dealer since they gave the "all clear" signal despite your repeated concerns (and there was no evidence of 'abuse' from the time you brought up the noises with the dealer and they had the opportunity to rectify). Very weak excuse in my view.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #56
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Updates after visit to Canbec today?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #57
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
Updates after visit to Canbec today?
Ciprian is on vacation until monday, so I'm waiting until then. Many people not just you have said he's the guy to go to. I'll keep you updated, Thanks again!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #58
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Sorry to hear that; would think that because you had brought up the issue (with numerous tell-tale warning signs) and the dealer failed to identify the problem at the time the concerns were raised, don't think it should matter whether there was an overrev in the past or not. Had the issue been properly identified by the dealer, the differential would have not ended up being damaged any further and you would have maybe been liable for having the bolt/bushings replaced. Seems like the burden of proof of "negligence" is actually on the dealer since they gave the "all clear" signal despite your repeated concerns (and there was no evidence of 'abuse' from the time you brought up the noises with the dealer and they had the opportunity to rectify). Very weak excuse in my view.
Absolutely but unfortunately the dealer I was dealing with doesn't really seem to care. The dealer is the biggest BMW dealer in Canada and frankly I'm just another number and there's many more of me. They have been losing business from what I've heard but that may just be gossip. I'm switching to another dealer now. I don't want to name the dealer as they have already acted extremely unprofessional with me and I don't want any more headaches (at least until after I speak with another dealer and have this sorted.

Addition to the story: My car is no longer at the dealer, I towed it out. The dealer now wants me to pay $250 in diagnostic charges which they said they will collect or send me to collections if I don't pay, they also want me to pay half the courtesy car I used during the days they were performing the diagnostic. Kind of ridiculous considering this should have been a warrantied claim and furthermore I'm a client who paid top dollar for his car and referred another client who bought a car aswell. On top of all this when I towed it out the service advisor acted tough and unprofessional, I kind of felt like I was in a Joe Pesci mobster movie for a second (might sound funny now, but it wasn't in the moment). They switched my SA, the original one and the manager were actual very professional, this one wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #59
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

the exact same thing happen to me and they denied warranty I also have a 2008 BMW M3 I think this happens to most 08's never seen someone complain that had a new model than a 08.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #60
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

this is total BS. I refuse to believe that this car shouldn't be able to handle the kind of abuse we're talking about here (unless there are some details that were omitted).

OP, don't forget that the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. best of luck with getting this situation straightened out.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #61
kiloil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
Absolutely but unfortunately the dealer I was dealing with doesn't really seem to care. The dealer is the biggest BMW dealer in Canada and frankly I'm just another number and there's many more of me. They have been losing business from what I've heard but that may just be gossip. I'm switching to another dealer now. I don't want to name the dealer as they have already acted extremely unprofessional with me and I don't want any more headaches (at least until after I speak with another dealer and have this sorted.

Addition to the story: My car is no longer at the dealer, I towed it out. The dealer now wants me to pay $250 in diagnostic charges which they said they will collect or send me to collections if I don't pay, they also want me to pay half the courtesy car I used during the days they were performing the diagnostic. Kind of ridiculous considering this should have been a warrantied claim and furthermore I'm a client who paid top dollar for his car and referred another client who bought a car aswell. On top of all this when I towed it out the service advisor acted tough and unprofessional, I kind of felt like I was in a Joe Pesci mobster movie for a second (might sound funny now, but it wasn't in the moment). They switched my SA, the original one and the manager were actual very professional, this one wasn't.
Boy you pissed in someone's cornflakes at the dealer.
      08-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #62
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

this is getting scary, so we have 2 more reports here of failure where the dealership is not willing to honor warranty on this? We really need that bolt and the supporting bracket made it seems like.

italyix updated in this thread where the diff bushings were replaced:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723675

It was noted that the rear diff bushing is actually just a hard foam. Perhaps this foam is allowing too much movement for the front 2 bolts to twist and break over time? I hate to think what happens as the car ages and this foam deterioates even more when we are all out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #63
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

So if I launch the car with DSC off and just keep my foot planted my diff will fall out and BMW won't cover it?

This has to be the biggest load of BS ever. They are basing all their evidence to void your warranty on some data logs that need interpretation?

I would hold my ground and keep contacting BMW Germany.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #64
kiloil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I think there are two sides of this story. IF the op is being truthfull and disclosing all information then BMW should step up to the plate. IF the op is not disclosing all of the information and dealership knows more about this the what is being told, then shame on him. I haven't seen that much rust on a car in a VERY LONG time. I see that mostly in older vehicles (over 10 years old)
      08-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #65
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

[QUOTE=Gearhead999s;12436859]Do you drive in the salt brine & snow like those who drive their M's in a Canadian winter?Looks pretty normal for a 4 year old winter driven car in Eastern Canada.quote

Well, my 2009 is spotless after two winters in Toronto and one in DC.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #66
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloil View Post
Boy you pissed in someone's cornflakes at the dealer.
Funny story, I was told at that particular dealer your supposed to tip the SA (found that out today, whether its true I'm not 100% sure). Now I'm paying the price but it shouldn't be a requirement. Its actually pretty ridiculous.
Appreciate 0