BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Onezie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

New Guy fishing for Info/opinions

hey <---what a lame way to start a post

anyways, my name is Derick. I am in the AF stationed in Maryland. I recently sold my Mitsubishi Evo X with hopes to save up money to get an E92 M3 (08-09). I loved the Evo, it was a good "bang for your buck" performance car but i just got tired of dumbing money into to make it fast enough to keep with, lets saaaaaay, a M3 on the highway lol. And honestly it seems like the natural progression is from Evo to m3. I am now scooting around in a 03 BMW 525i until i save up enough to get into my next dream car. I've always loved BMWs my 525 runs like a champ.

Since i am looking to get an 08 i know i will probably get one that is about to run out of warranty. where there any recalls or common issues with the 08-09 M3?? i enjoyed the car stock, but does mods easily pull power out of this car (i.e. exhaust, tune)?? it wont be a DD so im sure i can make it last for a while, as long i keep up wit routine maintenance. I test drove one already and fell in love, thats all i talk about now, hence this long ass rant! whats the overall morale of the M3 drivers?? uuuuhhhhhhhh......its 6am so thats all i got for now.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It would really suck to replace an M3 engine out of warranty. You can find an EVO or WRX engine used no problem. The M3 is also not as DIY friendly. You can find a video on the internet and step by step instructions for any EVO or WRX repair or mod, but you will find the vast majority of M3 owners don't DIY repairs or mods.

Great car. Mine is a 2008 with 38k and nothing has gone wrong yet, but I do have a CPO warranty for years 5 and 6. I am not yet sure whether I will keep it after that.

Were I looking for a great performance car that is easy to mod and relatively reasonably priced, I would probably focus on the new Ford Mustang. It has torque, which a lot of people really enjoy. Honestly, I like the M3 as a comfortable 4 door year round daily driver (with snow wheels), but I'd rather have a 7200 rpm redline with 400 lbs torque than an 8200 rpm redline with 300 lbs torque.

If you do buy one, I would get the DCT trans. I think the close ratio 7 speed works better with the low torque high rpm motor than the 6 speed manual trans. It shifts faster than you can shift. DCT does add complexity (potential out of warranty repair)and expense, but the DCT has to be pretty solid if BMW put it behind the new 550 hp M5 motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

I'm in the same boat although I should be picking up an 08 e90 M this week. From being on the forums I haven't seen any recurring issues with the Ms. Between the 08 and 09's the biggest thing people say is the idrive system/navi is much improved in the 09s. 09s tend to push around 50K where the 08s will be in the low to mid 40s depending on mileage and options.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I was just driving a 2011 X5 with the new Idrive and navigation and it is really nice. But I did not buy the M3 for its luxury features. I would not have cared if it was a stripper with cloth seats and no Idrive or navigation. The luxury junk on the 08 seems fine to me, though the newest and latest suck junk is almost always improved.

Were it me, I would justify any additional price you are willing to pay on things other than a better navigation or Idrive. Maybe lower miles, newer model year so better resale value (though they will all be deflating with the new M3), maybe DCT versus 6MT, or competition package versus stock wheels and shocks, etc. But that is just me. If the doodads are the most important thing for you, get the doodads you want.
Appreciate 0