BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

And hey, it isn't like it's a dog to look at, it's gorgeous. For all the negativity I've posted, I still have it as my wallpaper. Might post it in the Photos section, because I shopped CSL wheels on it.
      07-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #24
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Selective reading? When the majority pick up on that the M3 just isn't much fun, then why choose to ignore that? Because you don't want to believe it.

There's a point where a car is so capable that it feels like the driver isn't putting much effort into the return and sadly, from what most have said, the M3 is at that point.
Where did they say it wasn't much fun?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #25
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:
If the new M3 has numb steering, weighs well over 1600kilos, comes with a bunch of equipment as standard I don't want and costs £50k, then yes, I'm perfectly happy with my E36 2.0, because it is far from being anodyne and without a load of electric nonsense, when I get out of it, I know I've raised my game keeping it on the road at high-speeds and not systems which cut power to certain wheels to counter a bit of sliding.

I liked the old M3 because reviews gave the impression that it was a crushingly good B-road car that was exciting and from those who have driven the new M3, a fair few have said there's some excitement missing. Well, I've never got out of my humble car having driven at 100mph on deserted twisty roads feeling nonplussed and removed.
Classic! You haven't even driven any of these cars. You just believe everything you hear and can't form an opinion on your own.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
Classic! You haven't even driven any of these cars. You just believe everything you hear and can't form an opinion on your own.

exactly what i said...

Think for yourselves people!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 05:50 AM   #27
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post

I'm 22 and the closest I've got to an M3 is as a passenger in an M6. As someone who can only form opinions from what professional journalists feel, the M3 has always been a favourite of theirs and this one isn't quite gelling for them all, at the moment.
      07-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #28
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

nicely put.

Quote:
I'm 22 and the closest I've got to an M3 is as a passenger in an M6. As someone who can only form opinions from what professional journalists feel, the M3 has always been a favourite of theirs and this one isn't quite gelling for them all, at the moment.
this is a great point....that a large part of bmw's repute has been based not on people's first hand experience with the car, but on magazine reviews. i know for myself, years and years ago, i became enamored with bmw when reading the glowing reviews of the e36 M3 in its first year, before i was even old enough to drive.

this holds true even now. the M division mythos and repute is created in large part by the literature... and the literature now is unconvincing, and doesn't impart the impression of convincingly segment-leading performance as it did for me quite some years ago.

if it continues.... will the M divisions image be diluted? perhaps. but my stomach tells me this car will live up to the hype, and then some. and with the release of the DCT, doubts will be put to rest.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #29
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
exactly what i said...

Think for yourselves people!!

+1000

A "real" enthusiast would want to find out for themselfs.

I wont even comment on the "Magazine" feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #30
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
this is a great point....that a large part of bmw's repute has been based not on people's first hand experience with the car, but on magazine reviews. i know for myself, years and years ago, i became enamored with bmw when reading the glowing reviews of the e36 M3 in its first year, before i was even old enough to drive.

this holds true even now. the M division mythos and repute is created in large part by the literature... and the literature now is unconvincing, and doesn't impart the impression of convincingly segment-leading performance as it did for me quite some years ago.

if it continues.... will the M divisions image be diluted? perhaps. but my stomach tells me this car will live up to the hype, and then some. and with the release of the DCT, doubts will be put to rest.

All somewhat understandable, but it's still quite a bit early to be forming such concrete opinions of the car with only a few limited test reviews.

Patience is a virtue many seem to lack these days.
Appreciate 0