BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
chromerl
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: B/S 335i

Deciding between an E90 M3 and RS4

Currently I'm trying to decide between a 2008 E90 M3 Sedan and a 2007 Audi RS4. Both are similarly priced on the used market, and I cannot make up my mind.

Did any of you guys cross-shop the M3 with the RS4? I test-drove both cars and they're excellent!
I'm only looking for a manual transmission, and don't track the car, a pure daily driver, what would you guys do ?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

um...... I would get the M3 lol...... it has been labeled the best car in the world and I second C&D's recent vote

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV

Just get a new '08...I like mine a lot and I have had quite a few great cars. perfect DD. Audi feels a little isolated due the 4wd.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
yellowssm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromerl View Post
Currently I'm trying to decide between a 2008 E90 M3 Sedan and a 2007 Audi RS4. Both are similarly priced on the used market, and I cannot make up my mind.

Did any of you guys cross-shop the M3 with the RS4? I test-drove both cars and they're excellent!
I'm only looking for a manual transmission, and don't track the car, a pure daily driver, what would you guys do ?
If its just a daily and you are looking for comfortable, then audi. IMHO I like the exterior look, and the interior much much much better on the audi.

I think the M3 sedan is horrible looking, but the BMW is hands down performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV

I disagree. I like the sedan much more than the coupe..It's your call.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Where do you live?
If you live in snow or heavy rain country, the Audi might be a great choice.
Sure it's not as racy as the M3 but if you don't care about that, it's not a consideration.
The Audi has a nicer interior too.
However, as both get bad gas mileage the Audi will be worse.

The M3 will be new however, but getting an 08 you already have the "old" face as the 09 has gotten a facelift.

No doubt a tough choice for someone who's not looking for the top performance of the two.
I'd personally get the M3
But I don't live in snow, nor an area that gets much rain.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Seeing as your in Toronto i would go with the AWD on the Audi.
And i ain't too crazy about the M3 Sedan.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

If you like lattes, man purses and being slow, get the RS4. Otherwise get the M3.

The M3 with snowtires are just fine in Toronto.
      12-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Having come from a B7 S4 to an E90 M3 the simplest way to compare is Land Shark (Audi) vs a Rocket (BMW). I did drive the RS4 a few times before I got the M3 and the RS4 handles like the S4 just with a little more HP behind it. The Audi's have more of a comfortable cruiser ride where the BMW is a bit more sporty.

I do love Audi interiors but the BMW is not too bad. So far I have to admit that the Audi Service is MUCH Superior to BMW's (My S4 was the last year of included free maintenance)

AWD does rock though, I kind of miss it, but I love my M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
DerekMD07
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 991.2 C4S; 2019 LR Disco

I love my M3 in nice weather but as a DD in Toronto, RS4 is definitely much more practical when there's snow on the ground. Also RS4 is more unique. If I have to guess, the ratio of RS4:M3 in TO is 1:10??
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Get the M3 bro. "you will never look back!"

RS4 is an amazing car, no doubt about it, but the M3 is heavenly!!!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
um...... I would get the M3 lol...... it has been labeled the best car in the world and I second C&D's recent vote
and I third that vote! hahaha
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
If its just a daily and you are looking for comfortable, then audi. IMHO I like the exterior look, and the interior much much much better on the audi.

I think the M3 sedan is horrible looking, but the BMW is hands down performance.
The M3 SEDAN is one of the best looking cars on the road. WTF are you looking at?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #14
chromerl
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: B/S 335i

Thanks for all your opinions.

The things that make the RS4 such a great DD is it's AWD and low-end torque, whereas with the BMW you really need to rev the engine to get the best out of it! However I love the look of the BMW and it's handling it amazing!

Decisions, decisions...decisions
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromerl View Post
Thanks for all your opinions.

The things that make the RS4 such a great DD is it's AWD and low-end torque, whereas with the BMW you really need to rev the engine to get the best out of it! However I love the look of the BMW and it's handling it amazing!

Decisions, decisions...decisions
I previously had an RS4 and can definitely agree with this statement. As a DD, the RS4 was a better car. The low-down torque curve made the car much easier to drive. The AWD was planted in the rain, and the overall build quality was better. (Interior, Exterior). The gearbox was one of the best I've driven. Very light and smooth. The RS4 also has more of a presence on the road as it was wide and pretty rare. Stock for stock the RS4 is more bang for your buck. Especially used in the mid to high 40's.

With the M3, you really have to be above 5K to really experience the car. The car feels much smaller, nimbler, and sportier in that rev range. It begs to be driven. The car revs much faster. The throttle response is also sharper. The seats in the M3 are also sportier. For me, I wanted something that was a more challenging and rewarding to drive and the M3 definitely delivers on that front. It's an overall sportier car.

I'm a big fan of aftermarket tuning and really got bored with the RS4 in that department. There's a huge lack of aftermarket companies doing stuff for Audi. If that is something you're interested in, the M3 beats it hands down. The aftermarket and the community is just so much bigger over here. As a hobby, those were really important to me. Keeps things interesting.

If deciding on fun factor M3 > RS4
If deciding on practicality RS4 > M3

Your ball.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
I previously had an RS4 and can definitely agree with this statement. As a DD, the RS4 was a better car. The low-down torque curve made the car much easier to drive. The AWD was planted in the rain, and the overall build quality was better. (Interior, Exterior). The gearbox was one of the best I've driven. Very light and smooth. The RS4 also has more of a presence on the road as it was wide and pretty rare. Stock for stock the RS4 is more bang for your buck. Especially used in the mid to high 40's.

With the M3, you really have to be above 5K to really experience the car. The car feels much smaller, nimbler, and sportier in that rev range. It begs to be driven. The car revs much faster. The throttle response is also sharper. The seats in the M3 are also sportier. For me, I wanted something that was a more challenging and rewarding to drive and the M3 definitely delivers on that front. It's an overall sportier car.

If deciding on fun factor M3 > RS4
If deciding on practicality RS4 > M3

Your ball.
^ +1.

I don't think there is a right or wrong choice to be had with either. From a personal note I feel (after sampling the M3 in icy road conditions with summer tyres) that the RS4 is the better daily drive and wins this hands down. I can't answer how an M3 is with either proper winter tyres or chains in more extreme conditions but on more normal slippier surfaces were changing to winter rubber would be over kill the Quattro system with the RS4 is superior.

Build quality is harder to gauge because unless things go wrong you can't really aswer that question, I think after owning both Audi and BMW that the Audi's switch gear gives the feel of being better and it's interior design looks the more exciting though some may find it fussy.

There is little doubt that when really going for it the M3 does show it's metal and is the more exciting to drive but at less than 80% or even 90% the Audi might edge it on overall appeal. The RS4 is rarer but it's almost the older model and for that reason alone I went for the M3, but then again I was buying new.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
^ +1.

I don't think there is a right or wrong choice to be had with either. From a personal note I feel (after sampling the M3 in icy road conditions with summer tyres) that the RS4 is the better daily drive and wins this hands down. I can't answer how an M3 is with either proper winter tyres or chains in more extreme conditions but on more normal slippier surfaces were changing to winter rubber would be over kill the Quattro system with the RS4 is superior.

Build quality is harder to gauge because unless things go wrong you can't really aswer that question, I think after owning both Audi and BMW that the Audi's switch gear gives the feel of being better and it's interior design looks the more exciting though some may find it fussy.

There is little doubt that when really going for it the M3 does show it's metal and is the more exciting to drive but at less than 80% or even 90% the Audi might edge it on overall appeal. The RS4 is rarer but it's almost the older model and for that reason alone I went for the M3, but then again I was buying new.
well said.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
yellowssm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
If you like lattes, man purses and being slow, get the RS4. Otherwise get the M3.

The M3 with snowtires are just fine in Toronto.
but imagine a RS4 with snow tires. talk about fun, no way a M3 would be close in the snow or rain or any semi slick condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
The M3 SEDAN is one of the best looking cars on the road. WTF are you looking at?
WTF are you looking at, the M3 sedan body style is garbage, and if you re-read my post I said IMHO.

Last edited by yellowssm; 12-31-2008 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I live in Toronto too and my car is in the garage for the winter. Mind you, I didn't want to drive it as a DD in the winter and I also have a beater.

If I were you, go on what the test drive impulse tells you. Yes, the RS4 has AWD and is a bit rarer but there are some others on this forum who also live here in the T-DOT who are running their cars on winter tires. I know even SlammedM3 is driving his car with winters and his car is really low and he says he has no issues.

Realistically, there are about 10 days a year I wish I had AWD, the other 355 days I'm happy I'm driving a RWD.

Go on what you think is better looking to your eyes and what makes you feel better after your test drive. Don't let the snow of our city be the deciding factor.

Cheers!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #20
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
but imagine a RS4 with snow tires. talk about fun, no way a M3 would be close in the snow or rain or any semi slick condition.

WTF are you looking at, the M3 sedan is body style is garbage, and if you re-read my post I said IMHO.
^+1

e46 m3 is the best looking m3 so far imo.
e92 too, but it does not look as aggressive as e46. e90 m3...uh...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #21
jaeS4
Private
Rep
Drives: s4

Can't go wrong with either one. But for exclusivity alone, i'd go with the RS4.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #22
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I drove a chipped whatever RS4 V8 Avant of a friend of mine last spring(440DIN HP instead of 420)

I still owned my 335i 6mt back then....
Besides the superquality interior, feel, and 100% look, the engine felt torqueless, like my ex 335i was just as fast, only beyond 6000rpm it felt a tiny bit faster..... the steering was quite alright, but nothing to play with like a BMW, only in the snow. LOL

I kept thinking about why the RS4 didn't feel that fast in a way...

Later I was on the Autobahn and a blue Audi tried to follow me from a start towards 150mph, doing his best to keep up and YES he passed me at 130/140mph very slowly:A RS4 V8 saloon. I was still driving my bloody 335i...

At my dealership I testdrove a E90 M3 and besides the shitty interiortrim compared to the RS4 it feels a lot more alive/agile/svelte. The engine is a masterpiece in it's own way. The balance on the throttle, no normal Audi can do that.

If you want a practical fast car:RS4
If you want more or less a driving machine:e90 M3
Appreciate 0