BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

04-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

High Def 1080i Canon VIXIA HV30 camcorder help please

So, I just bought this HD canon camcorder, that shoots onto MiniDV's. I really didnt want to buy something with tapes or memory sticks, but these Canon VIXIA's are rated to be some of the best 1080i shooting consumer camcorders, so the miniDV part just had to take a back seat. I guess the recording quality of miniDV's are still better then camcorders who record straight onto DVD's, hard drives, and mini DVD's.

Im big into photography and editing, so I'd feel ashamed of having such high quality video recordings, and then not editing them. It'd be the same as me just shooting pics with my Canon 400D and not editing them in CS3! I'd never do that, so the same should apply to this thing.

So, what are some user friendly programs for editing, and does anyone have any tips regarding miniDV video transfers, HDMI cables, shooting in 1080i, and so on?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

I would go with FInal Cut Studio if you have a Mac or Vegas Video if you're on a Windows PC.

Transfer everything from minidv via Firewire. In case u didn't know, video takes up a ton of hard drive space, so start searching around for some large hard drive storage if you don't have it already. Bumping up ur memory to 4gb-8gb won't hurt either. A nice large 24" lcd or bigger will help out alot too. You can spread out ur work and timeline so u can see and work with everything alot easier.... Good luck bro and have fun with it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
I would go with FInal Cut Studio if you have a Mac or Vegas Video if you're on a Windows PC.

Transfer everything from minidv via Firewire. In case u didn't know, video takes up a ton of hard drive space, so start searching around for some large hard drive storage if you don't have it already. Bumping up ur memory to 4gb-8gb won't hurt either. A nice large 24" lcd or bigger will help out alot too. You can spread out ur work and timeline so u can see and work with everything alot easier.... Good luck bro and have fun with it

thanks man! And yes, I know video takes up tons of room, I've got 400GB of room on my PC, and about 100GB of room left on my laptop

Im downloading Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, what do you think of that program for video? I like it's direct recording to disk feature

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

but I dont think my PC's going to be fast enough for video work

It's about 5 years old now

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

hating this. . .

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Kalin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 328xi

I have a Sony HDR-SR1 that records in AVCHD on a HD. Editing the m2ts footage consumes A LOT of CPU power using Sony Vegas Studio (this is on a Core2 CPU that scored 5.6 on Vista x64 for what it's worth). That's the price for high bitrate footage.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
premiere pro cs3 for sure... you are going to need some decent hard drive bandwith to edit the HD footage; laptop drives or single desktop drives don't usually cut it... RAID0 FTW...
      04-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #8
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
premiere pro cs3 for sure... you are going to need some decent hard drive bandwith to edit the HD footage; laptop drives or single desktop drives don't usually cut it... RAID0 FTW...
I dunno, but our PC just has a pentium 4 840HT, 2 200GB hard drives, 2GB of RAM and runs at 2 GHz. . . I think. Its an old sony, like 5 years old now, I dont much about the PC world, but I know enough that 5 years in terms of PC's, is like a century.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

I have a Sony HDR-SR7. I use ULead VideoStudio 11.
Boost Nation: Wanna buy my camera?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I have a Sony HDR-SR7. I use ULead VideoStudio 11.
Boost Nation: Wanna buy my camera?
actually yes hah, because I feel that this canon camera is over kill for me. I'm into photography, so in that field, I spend money. But in video, I'm not ready to drop this kinda cash. So I'm thinking about returning this particular 1080i shooting camcorder, for a cheaper sony HD 1080i shooting camcorder. So, PM sent!

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
I dunno, but our PC just has a pentium 4 840HT, 2 200GB hard drives, 2GB of RAM and runs at 2 GHz. . . I think. Its an old sony, like 5 years old now, I dont much about the PC world, but I know enough that 5 years in terms of PC's, is like a century.
you'll experience nothing but frustration if you don't have a decent box to edit on. I build custom gaming pc's and workstations all the time. Hit me up if u want something to REALLY get the job done... I designed and build the editing boxes and storage area network for an adult production company that shoots in HD...
      04-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Buy a pair of 750gb drives and never worry about storage for a little while, be like $300 or less and you've got 1.5 TB extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

I rented an HV20 and shot some video and thought the camera was really nice, you made a good choice - don't return it. If anything return the HV30 and see if you can find an HV20 for cheap, they are basically the same camcorder. I'm on a Mac Pro running Final Cut Pro to capture off of miniDV, but for PCs I've heard of people using Premier for editing and then using Vegas or After Effects for color correction and the such. For transferring data to your computer, you'll need an IEE 1334 4pin to 6pin cable (mini Firewire) & a Firewire port - the included mini USB cable is worthless. I would also venture to guess you need some more RAM to edit @ 1440x1080. On my Mac Pro with dual xeons & 8GB of ram rendering is still pretty slow and frustrating so be prepared for similar results. Perfecting your workflow will be a bitch, but once you have it down you will be set to go (obviously). In my case, I had to deinterlace/convert my 24p footage to properly edit it, so be weary of this if you are shooting in the 24p cinemode. Without the deinterlacing, final cut was having serious problems with cadence and my videos would come out choppy whatever I did. After I de-interlaced everything went smooth. Cinemode is really nice for color correction btw. The image won't *look* as good as the other modes when you are shooting, but you get more image data to work with in post - kind of like RAW but not really haha.

I have no idea if any of this helps you, but I thought I would share my similar experiences with essentially the same camera. I would scour the HV20/HV30 forums and search for PC workflows and see what other people are doing. That's your best bet.

Last edited by billspreston; 04-22-2008 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
I rented an HV20 and shot some video and thought the camera was really nice, you made a good choice - don't return it. If anything return the HV30 and see if you can find an HV20 for cheap, they are basically the same camcorder. I'm on a Mac Pro running Final Cut Pro to capture off of miniDV, but for PCs I've heard of people using Premier for editing and then using Vegas or After Effects for color correction and the such. For transferring data to your computer, you'll need an IEE 1334 4pin to 6pin cable (mini Firewire) & a Firewire port - the included mini USB cable is worthless. I would also venture to guess you need some more RAM to edit @ 1440x1080. On my Mac Pro with dual xeons & 8GB of ram rendering is still pretty slow and frustrating so be prepared for similar results. Perfecting your workflow will be a bitch, but once you have it down you will be set to go (obviously). In my case, I had to deinterlace/convert my 24p footage to properly edit it, so be weary of this if you are shooting in the 24p cinemode. Without the deinterlacing, final cut was having serious problems with cadence and my videos would come out choppy whatever I did. After I de-interlaced everything went smooth. Cinemode is really nice for color correction btw. The image won't *look* as good as the other modes when you are shooting, but you get more image data to work with in post - kind of like RAW but not really haha.

I have no idea if any of this helps you, but I thought I would share my similar experiences with essentially the same camera. I would scour the HV20/HV30 forums and search for PC workflows and see what other people are doing. That's your best bet.
It helps a ton Bill, and thank you!

But I returned it today and bought a Sony HDR- UX5 off of Ebay. I was a damn fool for buying anything from a store in the first place, especially Circuit City. Anyway, I need the money more then THE best camcorders. And this Sony one is still an HD camcorder, so 1080i is still in the works. Unfortunately for quality's sake, but fortunately for ease of use. . . . this Sony one uses MiniDVD's, so no more DV boards, Firewire, and DV cables. I really spend enough time editing photos and it took long enough to get me to that point.

I'm being realistic and logical with myself when I say that I just dont have the time or energy to get hardcore into video. . . . though thats too bad, because I'm quite confident in what I could've done in the video world

Not to mention the fact that I dont even have the computer processing power to handle video editing anyway. I mean, if your having problems on the latest and greatest Mac tower. . . . then my out dated VAIO and year old HP lap top wouldn't stand a chance. So for now, I'm going to have to stick to the basics of video, as in uploading, simple editing, adding music, adding text, converting to DivX, color correction, and so on.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #15
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
you'll experience nothing but frustration if you don't have a decent box to edit on. I build custom gaming pc's and workstations all the time. Hit me up if u want something to REALLY get the job done... I designed and build the editing boxes and storage area network for an adult production company that shoots in HD...
Most definitely brotha, we need a new PC soon. . . but I really dislike windows. Actually, I f**king HATE windows. And hey man, dont forget our plans for bimmer fest bro (shhhhh, PM me if you dont remember haha)

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #16
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

man, this sucks balls haha. . . . I hope our PC can handle this business. We'll see soon enough

Appreciate 0