BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Mporium BMW

05-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

chicken and brown rice diet

so. haha. a buddy of mine is a martial arts fighter and personal trainer. told me about his chicken and brown rice diet being a very effective one. he would use this diet before any big match/tournie. anyone ever heard of this?

6oz chicken breast and 1/2 cup brown rice - 5 times a day.
and daily vitamins. and i guess some veggies in there wouldn't hurt.

i broke my leg (tibia and fibula spiral fractures above the ankle) back in January. Gained some fat around the mid-section that I want to quickly lose even though the only cardio that I can do is the cycle at my personal trainer's. i just took my first unassisted steps yesterday and some more today, so i'm about to start walking now.
anyway, thinking about giving this chicken+rice diet another go. i tried it before but got bored really quick and couldn't stick to it very strictly.

aaand, discuss.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I eat white rice in my meals 6 out of 7 days a week. Usually it involves tuna or chicken mixed in. I'd say I'm in decent shape. I'm the furthest thing from being fat. I'm 5'10 weight 150lbs and bench around 235max if that gives you a picture of my build. So I'm somewhat on the same diet naturally. Yes, i'm asian. lol. But growing up on this diet, I love it and could eat it everyday so it makes it easy for me. I enjoy eating a bowl of rice with 2 cans of tuna mixed in, actually one of my favorite dishes lol.
      05-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

what's the point? just have it once for dinner, and add some veggies.
      05-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

1. If you want to lose weight fast, then go to all vegetarian diet.

2. Do what your friend does 3 times a day, plus juice ( make your own fresh juice our of fruits and veggies).

3. Do what your friend does 3 times a day and snack the rest of the time with fresh veggies and fruits.

But i highly recommend you juice daily.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
go vegetarian and your gona drop like crazy. your gonna cry some nights tho... hahaha

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
GAINZ
Frozen M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

It's called high intensity interval training (http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html) and eating a low carb/high protein diet on off-days and a higher carb/medium protein on workout days.

Chicken breast, Brown Rice/sweet potatoes, vegetables for dinner.

Eggs, bacon, wheat toast/steel cut oatmeal, juice and fruit for breakfast.

High carb/protein lunch before workouts (for example: a subway sandwich with healthy ingredients)

Smalls snacks inbetween meals (nuts/protein shakes)

You'll maintain/build muscle and burn a good amount of fat doing this.
F10 Comp M5 - Frozen Cashmere Silver/Sakhir Orange | Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser |Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Macht Schnell 12mm & 10mm Spacers | AMS Catless Downpipes | Meisterschaft GTC + LXR Pipe | BM3 Stage 2 |
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

if your still recovering I wouldn't recommend a diet like that though..

nothing wrong with eating red meats (natural creatine)
if your going to eat rice, go with brown/whole grain (white = bleached)

in sum - eat whatever you want, just watch your portions that's all - try to stay under 600 calories/meal, complex carbs before bed time and you'll be fine with just cardio

just a idea of my "diet" right now
personally i eat 2-3 meals a day (noon, 6pm - sometimes around 3 [moderate - complex proteins/carbs])
2-3 snacks a day (4 oz servings of peanuts/almonds)
2 apples, 2 oranges, and a banana/grapes somewhere around the day [simple carbs]
pre-workout (30g hydro whey +5g creatine, cup of green tea, sometimes a bag of oatmeal [simple carbs/protein])
during working (oj+5g creatine [simple carbs])
post workout (30g hydro whey, 24g casein whey, 24g whey, 5g creatine [simple/moderate proteins])

my meals include sandwiches, chili, steak, pork chops, bbq chicken with either whole grain spaghetti/rice...i do at least 1 serving of veggies a day too - i know my daily calorie intake is over 2500-sometimes in the 3k range; oh yea i splurge once a week on "bad" foods such as buffalo wings and such (like 3 servings/16 wings or so + fries)

works out great for me, not much limiting on foods + i'm not a fatty either - 5'8 150...i workout almost everyday though, cardio every other day(typically only 12-15 mins, on rare occasions i do 20 mins) + abs/4 days...following this plan i dropped down 3 inches on my waist while growing muscle at the same time (no weight gain/loss, but saw gains and losses in size at targetted areas)

edit: i cook most of my meals though so less sodium + preservatives/junk
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
go vegetarian and your gona drop like crazy. your gonna cry some nights tho... hahaha
Lmao dude

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

lol that diet fucking sucks

try this one while youre at it

You should be aiming for 1-1.4g Protein per LBM (NOT LBS)
Also, .4g-1g Fat per LB

You can get the rest of your calories from carbs.

OR if you don't want to calculate everything to the T, try just having balanced meals of Protein, Carb, Fats - all the while not exceeding your calories.

I would start by calculating your maintenance OP and reduce calories by 250 to minimize LBM loss.
      05-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Hey man, good luck with the rehab and congrats on the first steps. I had a similar injury to my right leg 10 years ago (injured playing hockey) and spent 4 months on crutches and at least twice as long working to walk without a limp. It feels like you'll never get there, but keep working hard at physio and it will pay off. I am back to playing hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer. I won't lie to you and say the leg (ankle) is 100%, compared to where it was pre-break, but I can do the athletic things I love to do, at a reasonably high level for my age. Below is a picture of my leg x-ray, post-surgery. Tibia was destroyed and put back together with a plate and 10 screws, malleolus was snapped off and re-attached to the tibia with 2 screws and the fibula was broken just below the knee and left to heal on its own. 18 months later I had all the hardware removed. Good luck with the long road ahead and keep your chin up because you will get back to your normal life with a little hard work. All the best.

-Steve

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
rodi
. . .
Rep

thanks, guys.
going to see if i can stick to the chicken+brown-rice thing for a couple of weeks. see what happens.

on the left is the day of the break. on the right is 2 weeks post-op (5 weeks after break). fibula fracture is hard to see at this angle.

hate hearing about how long 100% recovery takes. how soon afterwards were you playing sports? my line of work requires a lot squatting and walking smoothly, so i'm anxious to see how this goes. :\

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
thanks, guys.
going to see if i can stick to the chicken+brown-rice thing for a couple of weeks. see what happens.

on the left is the day of the break. on the right is 2 weeks post-op (5 weeks after break). fibula fracture is hard to see at this angle.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/5545740622_97211eaaf7_z_d.jpg[/img]

hate hearing about how long 100% recovery takes. how soon afterwards were you playing sports? my line of work requires a lot squatting and walking smoothly, so i'm anxious to see how this goes. :\

Strong logic here.

"Create topic, disregard advice."
      05-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
so. haha. a buddy of mine is a martial arts fighter and personal trainer. told me about his chicken and brown rice diet being a very effective one. he would use this diet before any big match/tournie. anyone ever heard of this?

6oz chicken breast and 1/2 cup brown rice - 5 times a day.
and daily vitamins. and i guess some veggies in there wouldn't hurt.
Is that a 1/2 cup brown rice, measure dry, before cooking?

I eat chicken a lot, but would get sick of the same thing all the time. Some variety will help you stick to your diet and let eat just as healthy.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Strong logic here.

"Create topic, disregard advice."
not looking for meal plan advice, i could have just used the search bar for that.
just curious if anyone has heard of the aforementioned, that's all.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #15
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
It was over a year for me and it wasn't overly comfortable at first, but I don't have a lot of meat on my legs, which I am guessing made the hardware a little more uncomfortable (?). Based on my experience, I would push for removal of all that metal, if possible, when the time comes.

Forgot to ask you, how did you break your leg anyway??

Last edited by MZHammer; 05-11-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

i did the chicken and brown rice diet to go from 12-13% bodyfat to 8-9% body fat in about 3 months. went from a 33.5" waist to a 31.0" waist.

in the morning though i would have 2 eggs cooked in olive oil a protein shake with creatine, then for lunch and dinner would have chicken breasts with brown rice, and sometimes added vegetables and peanut butter throughout the day.
to spice it up sometimes i would add a little soy sauce (sodium made me hold a little more water though), or some cheese, which would up my fat and protein a little so not bad.
going from 190 to 165 i did lose some muscle mass/strength (but wanted to do a powerlifting comp in the 165lb class)
my lifts went from
squat 500 - 468
bench 430 - 363
deadlift 570 - 568
so not to bad i suppose.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcanadian View Post
It was over a year for me and it wasn't overly comfortable at first, but I don't have a lot of meat on my legs, which I am guessing made the hardware a little more uncomfortable (?). Based on my experience, I would push for removal of all that metal, if possible, when the time comes.

Forgot to ask you, how did you break your leg anyway??
having too much fun in the bit of snow that Atlanta got, on a snowboard.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #18
ned.alford19
Rep
Drives: i have BMW 3 series

Veggies, brown rice and chicken sounds like a pretty effective diet; just pay attention to the way you cook your chicken (go easy on butter/oil) and switch it up every now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

OMG I have the same injury on my left ankle! Spiral fracture on both tib and fib. 1 support plate, 12 lateral pins, and 1 vertical pin for support. To top it off I tore my achilles tendon as well. I was out for almost a year and 8 months till I started walking on crutches with weight bearing. I feel for you as I gained 30lbs. due to inactivity and depression. I went from 5'4 145lbs to 175lbs in the course of 1.5 years. I just started running after 3 years of rehab and recovery. I'm slowly getting back into shape as I've lost 20lbs. hitting the treadmill and elliptical machine. Diet is definitely the key, mixed with physical therapy. Canned tuna and steamed chicken with brown rice will be your best friend. Have one cheat day so you won't go crazy. I can say that my ankle is only 85% the way it used to be. I wish you all the best and try to stay positive.

Last edited by Poppin Fresh; 07-01-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
OMG I have the same injury on my left ankle! Spiral fracture on both tib and fib. 1 support plate, 12 lateral pins, and 1 vertical pin for support. To top it off I tore my achilles tendon as well. I was out for almost a year and 8 months till I started walking on crutches with weight bearing. I feel for you as I gained 30lbs. due to inactivity and depression. I went from 5'4 145lbs to 175lbs in the course of 1.5 years. I just started running after 3 years of rehab and recovery. I'm slowly getting back into shape as I've lost 20lbs. hitting the treadmill and elliptical machine. Canned tuna and steamed chicken with brown rice will be your best friend. Diet is definitely the key, mixed with physical therapy. Canned tuna and steamed chicken with brown rice will be your best friend. Have one cheat day so you won't go crazy. I can say that my ankle is only 85% the way it used to be. I wish you all the best and try to stay positive.
I think the rule should be that you have to tell us how the injury happened!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Its all about calories. 6 oz of chick and 1/2 cup brown rice 5 times a day is 1440 calories. Life is to short to eat such a limited diet.

You will lose the pounds but also lose muscle.

Take a multi vitamin, lift heavy and eat 200 to 300 calories under your stay even calories.

If you can't imagine staying on a diet for your whole life then why bother. Just eat a balanced diet at around 2000 calories and workout three times a week minimum.
      07-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #22
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcanadian View Post
I think the rule should be that you have to tell us how the injury happened!!
Indoor basket ball injury. Slipped forward but my left foot went to the right.

Everyone heard my ankle breaking. They said it sounded like bubble wrap popping.