BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
DropItLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 gt-r

Cross shopping E92 M3 and R35 GT-R - Review

I attempted to provide yet another objective review of the M3 and GT-R. Comments welcome.

http://randominternetthings.blogspot...-r35-gt-r.html
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great review, and I agree with everything you said.
I have a 335i and even though my car can be easily tuned to beat an m3 in a straight line, the m3 is more than that. Its an all around daily driver race car, the gtr on the on the other hand ia a street legal race car, Id love to own a gtr while Im still young and own an m3 when Im older.
Nice cars btw!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i just had my first gtr experience yesteday thanks to w00tw00t. hes got a 2010 tuned gtr. i should have never accepted the ride.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Is it just me or does the gt-r come off as boring? I've driven two, a modded 2010 and the new 2012 and the car never felt "urgent" or alive I guess you could say. Now granted it was not at a track but both times it was balls out 1st through 3rd and the car never made me sense like I was going fast. Obviously I was but like I said, maybe it's just me but I like the sense of speed and feeling you get from other cars that portray that "feeling" of speed more. Still mad respect for the engineering in it though
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Is it just me or does the gt-r come off as boring? I've driven two, a modded 2010 and the new 2012 and the car never felt "urgent" or alive I guess you could say. Now granted it was not at a track but both times it was balls out 1st through 3rd and the car never made me sense like I was going fast. Obviously I was but like I said, maybe it's just me but I like the sense of speed and feeling you get from other cars that portray that "feeling" of speed more. Still mad respect for the engineering in it though
I think you've got your cars mixed up. The M3 is the car that feels 'lacking' in street conditions until the engine wakes up around 4k. The GT-R feels like it'll tear your face off from idle.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M
Quote:
I think you've got your cars mixed up. The M3 is the car that feels 'lacking' in street conditions until the engine wakes up around 4k. The GT-R feels like it'll tear your face off from idle.
Nope I love both cars but im
Quite happy with my M's. And agreed the motor does have to be rev'd to "wake up" but I notice my supercharged one wakes up a little sooner now a Z06, that feels and sounds like it will tear your face off...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
yeah i concur. it felt brutally fast. again it was tuned to 600ish hp.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
yeah i concur. it felt brutally fast. again it was tuned to 600ish hp.
I test drove the 2013, I think it was. May of been a 2012 but whatever model year it was, I remember being stuck to the back of the seat from when the car launched to the time I brought it to a stop. It's a true beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

600ish at the tires or motor? Obviously almost anything with that at the tires is gonna be brutally fast. I'm simply trying to say that if you have an M3 and a gtr making the same power that the M3 will be more dramatic because the gtr has the ability to put the power to the ground much better and hence be less of a handful. Just my opinion from my experiences
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropItLow View Post
What the M3 lacked was any sort of recognition for the race heritage behind the ///M brand. Sure, car nuts knew the difference and what it was, but at the end of the day the general public is just ignorant to an M3 being any different than a 3-series.
That's exactly why I like it. If you need attention, then you enjoy thumbs-ups, horn honks and kids telling you that you own their dream car.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
600ish at the tires or motor? Obviously almost anything with that at the tires is gonna be brutally fast. I'm simply trying to say that if you have an M3 and a gtr making the same power that the M3 will be more dramatic because the gtr has the ability to put the power to the ground much better and hence be less of a handful. Just my opinion from my experiences
600ish at the motor. exactly the gtr can put the power down so it feels MORE dramatic not less. smoking the tires off the m3 doesnt crush you in the seat its actual acceleration that does that. i wasnt a fan of the seats though and couldnt drive it for long distances.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
That's exactly why I like it. If you need attention, then you enjoy thumbs-ups, horn honks and kids telling you that you own their dream car.
i was at the track yesterday and went for gas and got this exact comment about my m3.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i was at the track yesterday and went for gas and got this exact comment about my m3.
At the Track? What were you doing, betting on the horses??

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At the Track? What were you doing, betting on the horses??
not quite. running a TNT day at Pacific Raceways.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
not quite. running a TNT day at Pacific Raceways.
Sweet Bro

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

yes it was.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh
Quote:
600ish at the motor. exactly the gtr can put the power down so it feels MORE dramatic not less. smoking the tires off the m3 doesnt crush you in the seat its actual acceleration that does that. i wasnt a fan of the seats though and couldnt drive it for long distances.
I hear ya there man. There's nothing like being pushed into the backseat but I guess I just was expecting more. My buddies is tuned to about 570 at the tires on the crap 91 octane out here in Cali and it just didn't "feel" fast. Maybe it's just me lol sweet car none the less but having my M3 all crossed up and just staying in it feel very dramatic hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
DropItLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
The real problem with the GT-R is that it doesn't 'feel' fast for some reason...until you're heads up with another car. because you don't really feel the shifts like in other cars its almost a straight acceleration.

balls out from a dig to third will still be 90ish. The one thing I left out of the review was that the speedo is deceptive - 60mph is straight down. Everyone I've let drive the car hits 90 before the realize they are actually speeding. It's really deceptive just how fast you actually are going.

Did you try the passenger seat for a few pulls? It's a total different experience than actually driving and that might be a better gauge.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
DropItLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Right on - it's just a completely different car. Lets not forget just how sexy the M3 actually is. I've had people call the GT-R a transformer, whale, among other things. I didn't buy it for attention - actually had no idea it would generate the amount that it does - but rather for the tuning it's capable of.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Cross shopping a GT-R and an M3 =

If you can afford a GT-R, and all that comes with it. You can afford two M3s.

Sometime I think about owning a GT-R, then I wake up in the middle of the night with a panic attack about the 20k transmission repair cost. Fuuuuuu!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

So youre getting rid of your m3?

I love when magazines call the GT-R soul less. The car has scared me to death many times. Motortrend editors cant get enough of it. They just bought a 2013 for a long term road test. Their 2nd GT-R in ownership.

Last edited by Optherion; 03-26-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropItLow View Post
I attempted to provide yet another objective review of the M3 and GT-R. Comments welcome.

http://randominternetthings.blogspot...-r35-gt-r.html
Great review of the two!
Appreciate 0