home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

02-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Question Buying used M3, what to check for?

Folks,

It looks like I am looking at a 2004 M3 Cabriolet (no hard tops available in Canada, damn) at my local BMW dealer. It is BMW "certified" (so warranty for a couple of more years and has been "Checked out") and has 28,000 Kilomneters (about 18,000 miles) on it. I have done a number of "checks" on the VIN and all seems ok.

However, I have heard that the breaking in period for M3 engine is VERY important. Can anyone tell me of test I could ask for to see what shape the engine is in? Is there a way of telling if the first owner drove the &(^()# out of it without breaking it in?
K.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
heavy oil consumption is a sign of the engine not properly broken in was one Ive read... but kinda har to detect if the car is not yours yet huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Good point. I asked around and apparently there is a test for how much oil is "leaking" and less than 10% (not sure exactly what is tested here) is ok. I will look into it.
Anyone had a hard luck stories buying a used M?
Genevaaaaaaaa.
K.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
This was my process

Good Carfax Owner History (no auction or long hold on dealer lots: I like long history of private individuals)

Good Dealer PPI pre-purchase inspection $115/hr (w/ maintenance schedule report on their system, althoug thats free w/o PPI)

04s are the best to have... still under warranty

plus love the LEDs
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
m34life
Registered
Rep
Drives: awM3vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
This was my process

Good Carfax Owner History (no auction or long hold on dealer lots: I like long history of private individuals)

Good Dealer PPI pre-purchase inspection $115/hr (w/ maintenance schedule report on their system, althoug thats free w/o PPI)

04s are the best to have... still under warranty

plus love the LEDs

late 03s still have the warranty and leds
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Helix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3CS

In the UK there is an essential service at 1200 miles to change from 'run-in' lubes and (I believe) tighten down head etc. Any car which hasn't had this done by 1800 miles is considered very dodgy and for good reason (so warranty issue).

Many such cars come up for sale at attractive prices, because without that magic stamp in the book the value is much less. There is a market for faked service schedules, so always check with the dealer whose stamp is shown. If possible I'd go back to first owner (and others if possible) to check how they treated it.

Oddly, despite their electronic wizardry, BMW do not seem to have any way of telling if the car was broken in gently. I wouldn't worry too much, as the racing boys tend to ignore this, driving like 'sh1t' from the word go. It is supposed to give an extra 5-10 bhp (or PS?) but may well mean more oil is burned, though this 10% thing (above) sounds pessimistic. I treated mine like royalty and I burn no noticeable oil - she runs like a Singer showing machine with masses of power when I get on the treadle.

Good luck with a wonderful (if 'interesting') car! And get SMG if possible (see separate thread)!
Appreciate 0