BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Cornering Lights & Buttons

Hey Guys,

Little background of the car. E92 M3 2011 4/2011 build date.

I'm looking to retrofit my headlights and was wondering if this is something I can accomplish via programming.

I'm looking to retrofit the cornering lights to be able to be controlled on and off via any open button. Either a programmable CIC button or an open button on the button bar on my car. (The one with hill assist and auto start/stop, etc. not the programmable buttons on the CIC.) On my car, the only position occupied right now is the auto start/stop.

I found topics about turning off the cornering lights all together (which was an option in a CCC menu, not CIC) but nothing about having them on all the time or being able to be turned on/off via a button.

Now, I know the function of the cornering light, I like it a lot. However, I wanted a change. I grew tired of the halogen bulb look. A HID is not practical in the way BMW has the light setup with its fades and many stop/start cycles. Maybe a LED, but I went a different route. I replaced the cornering lenses with projectors. Thus giving me the ability to have 4 headlights. This is much like the older e46 that had separate flash-to-pass high-beams in the inner light position. On my car, both projectors are bixenon. The new projector's high beam function is tied into the OEM high-beam function. However, I don't want to be driving around with 4 lights on all the time. I would like the inner lights (cornering light circuit) to be turned on/off with a button. I would think it is possible, given the circuit is in place and everything is practically connected via the different modules. The only problem is, I don't know how.

I have programmed simpler things, like: DVD-in-Motion, Instant MPG, Efficient shift points, corner led delete, euro mdm, 3 turn signals to 5 turn signals, welcome light variations, etc. All of these many people have interest in and was pretty easy to accomplish. What I am looking for now, seems much harder to find. So I thought I'd ask for help!

Also, I was given http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e90/index.htm as reference for the circuits. Does anyone have a simple diagram of fuses that are powered with the comfort access in the engine bay? For a different reason than my cornering lights.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
You could try wiring a switch, but I wouldn't.

There is no current retrofit to be able to turn the corner lights on and off.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Yea a switch to a constant power source would work but I'm trying to keep an OEM look. It's like my last resort. Plus, it's more wiring than I think is needed. I'm sure I could take that button bar off and retrofit a different button/circuit to be connected to a constant power source and run that wire to both headlights. It just seems like more physical work than necessary since the cornering light is now removed and that wire is already in place.

Maybe I could just run the wire from the pin out on the NFRM module to the button bar? Again tho, with coding, it would be less labor. I want to work smarter not harder. Yea, I forgot to mention I still have the stock headlights and bought another pair to mod. So, if I want to revert back to stock, I could pretty easily with some button pushing. If I run a new wire(s) it wouldn't be as easy.

As far as the cornering lights, I know how to disable them via coding or re-enable them and change the steering angle and speed parameters. Turning them off is just a simple two code change. Changing the speed and turning angle is a little more complicated.

DEF_ABBIEGELICHT_CKM - aktiv to nicht_aktiv
UNP_ABBIEGELICHT_CKM - aktiv to nicht_aktiv

The thing that might not be possible is to change a button function to interact with that NFRM module. Yet, I would think it would be possible. Just not easy. Since these cars are so integrated anyways.

I know you and Mike where looking into changing tuning maps I think with a CIC programmable button. (If my memory serves me right.) I would think that would be just as (if not) harder than what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for helping!
Appreciate 0