BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

01-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #45
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Update:

So I went to the dealership today and finally talked to the service manager and he was able to explain to me the entire diagnosis as well as show me the car. The diagnose was a valve seal failure in the #8 cylinder which caused excess oil to burn in the cylinder and cause excess carbon build up of the valve. As a result of this the valve was not seating properly which was causing a misfire and low compression of the #8 cylinder. They also had the cylinder sent to be cleaned, changed out the valves on the #7 and 8 cylinders, changed out the springs on 5,6,7 and 8, changed out the fuel injectors on 7 and 8, and changing out the engine oil. The SM reassured me that this won't happen again and that of all the cases the the BMW engineers accessed in the PUMA database mine was one of three. I should have the car back tomorrow

Obviously an comments and feedback of what you guys think is appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #46
And1M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

Yes please keep us updated. I have a 2013 as well and only have 700 miles on the clock. I am getting paranoid about this situation you are in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #47
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke818 View Post
So I went to the dealership today and finally talked to the service manager and he was able to explain to me the entire diagnosis as well as show me the car. The diagnose was a valve seal failure in the #8 cylinder which caused excess oil to burn in the cylinder and cause excess carbon build up of the valve. As a result of this the valve was not seating properly which was causing a misfire and low compression of the #8 cylinder. They also had the cylinder sent to be cleaned, changed out the valves on the #7 and 8 cylinders, changed out the springs on 5,6,7 and 8, changed out the fuel injectors on 7 and 8, and changing out the engine oil. The SM reassured me that this won't happen again and that of all the cases the the BMW engineers accessed in the PUMA database mine was one of three. I should have the car back tomorrow

Obviously an comments and feedback of what you guys think is appreciated.
This is good news..a top engine issue is certainly much better than mid or bottom engine issue. Not sure what you mean though when you say they sent cylinder #8 to be cleaned?

Did they remove the whole block?..Do you know if the cylinder was scored and needed to be remachined? Or was it just cleaned to remove oil contaminants and deposits? I would ask for more detail on this

Otherwise everything they did seems to make sense and they did service almost all the bank #2 cylinders for good measure.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #48
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
This is good news..a top engine issue is certainly much better than mid or bottom engine issue. Not sure what you mean though when you say they sent cylinder #8 to be cleaned?

Did they remove the whole block?..Do you know if the cylinder was scored and needed to be remachined? Or was it just cleaned to remove oil contaminants and deposits? I would ask for more detail on this

Otherwise everything they did seems to make sense and they did service almost all the bank #2 cylinders for good measure.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes they sent the entire block to have it checked for leaks and also cleaned. SM did not tell me anything about the cylinder being scored but I will definitely have to ask him about that.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #49
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

I finally got the call I was expecting today saying my car was ready and I could come pick her up but, of course that would be asking to much! After putting everything back together cylinder 8 was still misfiring and had low compression. I was told the next step is to change the exhaust seals. WTF!? At this point I'm done being optimistic and am hopping they will have the car for over 30 days so I can Lemon it.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #50
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I finally got the call I was expecting today saying my car was ready and I could come pick her up but, of course that would be asking to much! After putting everything back together cylinder 8 was still misfiring and had low compression. I was told the next step is to change the exhaust seals. WTF!? At this point I'm done being optimistic and am hopping they will have the car for over 30 days so I can Lemon it.
I would pursue this..once you start chasing problems its a slippery slope.

At this point they should re-do the whole head, not just seals. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #51
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Wow, 1 out of 3 EVER to have this happen, for reference:

PuMA is a worldwide BMW database of all reported problems and most with the their appropriate fixes. The acronym means Problem and Measures management Aftersales or in German: Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales.

Sorry OP you had to be one of them, sound like quite the ordeal. Hope they sort you out sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #52
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Good call on the scoring Vic! SA called me yesterday and said that there was scoring on the cylinder so the wanted to change the entire block. Unfortunately there isn't one in the US so to save time they are pushing to replace the entire engine which they have in CA. Obviously this is what I wanted in the first place so I'm reconsidering whether or not to I'm going to lemon the car.

Last edited by Nuke818; 01-26-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #53
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good call on the scoring Vic! SA called me yesterday and said that there was scoring on the cylinder so the wanted to change the entire block. Unfortunately there isn't one in the US so to save time they are pushing to replace the entire engine which they have in CA. Obviously this is what I wanted in the first place so I'm reconsidering whether or not to I'm going to lemon the car.
Yep, rebuilt a few engines so I have some experience with this..I hate the fact they try to make it sound like something its not. We had to "clean" the cylinder when it fact it needs to be remachined entirely. Just shows the games they play sometimes

Needing a new block or re-man block...I would ABSOLUTELY seek to lemon it now. Your experience is the definition of a lemon.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #54
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep

My engine came in on Tuesday from CA and was put in on Wednesday. Was told that they needed to put a few miles on it, 20-25, and then cold start it the next day to see if everything is ok. SA said it would definitely be ready on Friday. Well... never got the car back yesterday! Surprise, surprise! Apparently they need to replace the idle control arm. If the engine were new, then it should have had a new actuator right? This tells me they probably gave me a remanufactured engine because I was specifically told that the actuator was the one from my old engine. Thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #55
Messi1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 e90 Sedan

The new engines usually do not come complete with all components, they need to take the components off the old engine and place them onto the new engine. They probably damaged it during the process but did not want to say that. Let them replace it and see how it goes. It is better for them to make sure it functions correctly before returning it to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #56
mzeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 07 335coupe, 2011 X5D

^^^^^^^Totally Agree!!!!^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #57
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

updates?
      02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #58
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
updates?
I picked the car up on Tuesday. I literally felt like I was picking the car up for the first time. After driving it for four days everything feels good. I haven't been able to push the engine very much as I'm still breaking it in. I decided against lemoning the car even though I had every right to under the Arizona lemon law. I knew i wouldnt be happy with a new car from the dealer and i didn't want to wait 2 months to get a special order.

Along with the new engine I was able to get compensated for one months payment and was also given the 7yr 100,000 Platinum EVP plan. Having the extended warranty definitely gives me peace of mind if anything happens in the future.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #59
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Conv

Garage List
Thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress. It sounds like you were able to make a bad situation into a great one.

I wanted to note that when I picked up me 2013 E93 I asked my sales rep what the requirements for the break-in period were. He looked squarely at me and said this engine will protect itself. You can race it, redline it, whatever. you're not going to damage this engine. I was really surprised to hear a dealer say that to a customer. I will say though that during my first 1000 miles, especially during the cold-start period I would accidentally redline it quite a lot. Probably around 20-25 times since I've owned it. Hopefully if anything goes wrong, that won't be scrutinized.

So glad you got your baby back. Best of luck!!

2009 AM V8 Vantage Conv - Berwick Bronze, Quicksilver Exhaust
2013 M3 Conv - (RIP) thanks to uninsured a-hole
2004 Porsche 911 C4S Conv
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #60
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Along with the new engine I was able to get compensated for one months payment and was also given the 7yr 100,000 Platinum EVP plan.
That sounds like a win to me. Glad everything worked out and hopefully it will continue to be fine.
      02-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #61
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Glad it worked OP..

Not to sound disparaging but why didnt you lemon it?>

Won't this will now appear on a car fax and make potential resale difficult?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #62
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Glad it worked OP..

Not to sound disparaging but why didnt you lemon it?>

Won't this will now appear on a car fax and make potential resale difficult?
Mainly because I didn't want to wait for two months like I did for my current M3. I'm sure BMW could have expedited the process and got it to me faster but I didn't ask. Also having the platinum EVP gives me the peace of mind I need to know that the cars covered if anything should happen in the future!

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #63
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Nice to hear your baby is home!
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #64
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
...when I picked up me 2013 E93 I asked my sales rep what the requirements for the break-in period were. He looked squarely at me and said this engine will protect itself. You can race it, redline it, whatever. you're not going to damage this engine. I was really surprised to hear a dealer say that to a customer. I will say though that during my first 1000 miles, especially during the cold-start period I would accidentally redline it quite a lot. Probably around 20-25 times since I've owned it. Hopefully if anything goes wrong, that won't be scrutinized.
What!? Is this sarcasm? Redlining during cold starts?

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #65
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Conv

Garage List
No dead serious. Since I had the car tuned the redline was lowered to around 4500-5000, and it's very easy to hit it. It's much lower than the stock redline but I imagine it still logs it as a redline hit.

2009 AM V8 Vantage Conv - Berwick Bronze, Quicksilver Exhaust
2013 M3 Conv - (RIP) thanks to uninsured a-hole
2004 Porsche 911 C4S Conv
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #66
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

What has not been explained is how cylinder 8 was scored.

The explanations by the dealer all revolve around carbon build-up in cylinder 8. As far as I know (and that, admittedly is not that much) carbon build-up does not cause scoring in cylinder walls. Engine cylinder scoring is caused by extreme metal to metal contact.
Why pull an engine because of carbon build-up on the valves on cylinder 8?
And why change out the valve springs in other cylinders besides cylinder 8? Why even change valve springs at all? Unless, of course you suspect the springs are bad or, a valve spring actually broke. Now that could lead to scoring in cylinder 8.
In some engines, the valve spring plays a role in keeping the valve from falling into the cylinder. When a valve spring breaks, the valve associated with that spring could possibly drop into the cylinder. As you might guess, things could get a little messy in that cylinder with a valve rattling around in there.
Possible explanation (fairy tale) for why a new engine: Dealer finds lo compression on 8 & carbon build-up on #8 plugs. Looks further, finds broken valve spring with valve gone. (dealer/BMW panic, at this point). Pulls engine and finds remains of the valve and scoring all over cylinder 8 walls. BMW, saving a few bucks, says, lets sleeve the cylinder and put it back in, he'll never know (my cynicism is showing). Puts engine back in but sleeve job doesn't hack it. Result-new engine. End of fairy tale

I'm glad you got a new engine. I think if I were you I would have done the same thing as far as keeping the car goes.
Appreciate 0