BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #133
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

I think we are missing some key information here that the OP wont share pertaining to the events immediately preceding the catastrophic failure.

...the 50% off the engine was via the selling/servicing dealer. BMW washed their hands of the whole event.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #134
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

It was out of warranty, they didn't have to cover any of it. 50% is a gift to the OP by the dealer, not BMW.
      05-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #135
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
The computer only adjusts the timing in response to knock. The design tolerances are for fuel, not what some monkey might do to their well engineered system. Changing anything in the exhaust means immediately the "correct" timing advance for any given RPM or load point has changed. Unfortunately, freer flowing exhaust means better exhaust evacuation from the cylinder, which means the optimal timing point is retarded compared to it's previous location. This means the first guess by the computer is much too advanced. What happens when you run too much timing? RIGHT.

You have to be a scientist and a computer engineer to understand how it really works, there is no explanation that will be satisfactory for any layman, but if you're curious as to how these things work: http://forums.openecu.org/
Ok. This has to qualify as THE DUMBEST STATEMENT on the entire forum. The ECU is monitoring tens of sensors (from throttle input to air fuel ratio to exhaust gas temp to O2 in exhaust and on and on)and adjusting timing (which includes ignition, valves, etc.) many times per second. If you think the ECU waits until the knock sensor activates to start adjusting the timing you really need to go back to that site and re-read it.

Sadly, your comment with regards to having to be a scientist or engineer to understand the content on the site let's me know you are neither. If I am somehow mistaken about that, then do your Alma Matter a favor and keep the name of the school to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 01:17 AM   #136
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Update:

New engine

blown engine

Hole on the block. There is one more in the bottom of engine. Could be seen if exhaust header removed

piston

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #137
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I hate to say it, but...those pictures look VERY familiar! My engine chunks were a bit different though, I guess like fingerprints, no 2 engines break alike.

Nice to see you're on your way to getting back on the road soon. Mine took about 3 full days after the point you're at...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #138
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00m View Post
Update:

piston

Get pictures of the combustion chambers valve and piston side as well as the plugs on all cylinders.
      05-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #139
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post
Ok. This has to qualify as THE DUMBEST STATEMENT on the entire forum. The ECU is monitoring tens of sensors (from throttle input to air fuel ratio to exhaust gas temp to O2 in exhaust and on and on)and adjusting timing (which includes ignition, valves, etc.) many times per second. If you think the ECU waits until the knock sensor activates to start adjusting the timing you really need to go back to that site and re-read it.

Sadly, your comment with regards to having to be a scientist or engineer to understand the content on the site let's me know you are neither. If I am somehow mistaken about that, then do your Alma Matter a favor and keep the name of the school to yourself.
Seriously, when everything is misinformation, correct information is just noise. Do your own damn research instead of claiming to know anything about what I'm saying.

at least one smart person on here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280965

Anyone who doesn't believe me, feel free to run 87 in your M3. Nothing bad will happen if you run it tank after tank. Really.. *snicker* Correction, run 87, and deleted cats, headers, and straight pipe exhaust.

Doesn't matter, looks like you're about to get schooled anyway, they're working on BMW's.. here come lots and lots of datalogs and user tunes. Knew I should have taken the job with these guys: http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5833

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...AccessPORT.pdf

"Adjusted boost levels, fuel, ignition timing".... different maps targeting 91 and 93 octane...

Serious frickin right here. The data says I'm right. Good timing Cobb.

Also, just to rub it in a little more "BMW ECU are super awesome and do calculations at 1 jigawatt and fairies know what the right timing is"
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/sho...libration-Team

Is that a timing map? oh noes!!!

Last edited by dexx; 05-31-2011 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #140
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Seriously, when everything is misinformation, correct information is just noise. Do your own damn research instead of claiming to know anything about what I'm saying.
You mean like the research you did to back up your statements here about the S65? Oh that's right, you haven't done any.

Quote:
That's really hilarious because Lemans_Blue_M is one of the guys that has repeatedly said that the factory tune will adapt to exhaust changes without issue. He is a smart guy though, and obviously has inside connections at BMW.

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't believe me, feel free to run 87 in your M3. Nothing bad will happen if you run it tank after tank. Really.. *snicker* Correction, run 87, and deleted cats, headers, and straight pipe exhaust.
I don't follow you at all. Of course the factory tuning can't adjust well to 87, which is why the factory says not to run below 91.

Quote:
Doesn't matter, looks like you're about to get schooled anyway, they're working on BMW's.. here come lots and lots of datalogs and user tunes. Knew I should have taken the job with these guys: http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5833
Ok, those are N54 tunes that are increasing power; what does that have to do with the adaption of the factory tune to an exhaust?

Quote:

"Adjusted boost levels, fuel, ignition timing".... different maps targeting 91 and 93 octane...

Also, just to rub it in a little more "BMW ECU are super awesome and do calculations at 1 jigawatt and fairies know what the right timing is"

Man, you should have quit while you were behind. I'll play since I'm bored.

Quote:
LOL "no mods.."
never change the exhaust on a modern car with computer controlled ignition without adjusting the timing. Of course _you_ can't adjust the timing! Now the engine is running ignition advance that's way too high for the new exhaust. I bet if you tear down that engine there will be pits all over the pistons and heads from the detonation.
"As I increased the amount of Load requested to begin raising horsepower, it became obvious that the factory timing table was a bit too aggressive, especially at higher loads. The ECU properly addressed it via timing correction on the noisy cylinder(s), but relying on a prompt response from the ECU during knock events is a dangerous tuning strategy."

-Travis @ Cobb

This is an N54, not the S65 - first of all, and NA tuning is not FI tuning. Even still, the programing was able to adjust even when increasing the power output of the car, which we are not doing here (just changing exhaust and letting it adapt). I fail to see how this supports any of your arguments although, truth be told, I'm having difficulty following you at this point.

The S65 stock tuning can adapt safely to an exhaust - you don't know what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #141
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:

but WTF does any of this have to do with your original argument? you stated that the ECU can't adapt to an aftermarket exhaust system which most likely caused this motoro to blow. forum members ask you to prove your statement and you respond by saying that us "common folk" won't be able to understand because we aren't scientist and engineers. then you state that you are right because you can't 87 fuel? the OP stated that he used 93 . am i missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You mean like the research you did to back up your statements here about the S65? Oh that's right, you haven't done any.

That's really hilarious because Lemans_Blue_M is one of the guys that has repeatedly said that the factory tune will adapt to exhaust changes without issue. He is a smart guy though, and obviously has inside connections at BMW.

I don't follow you at all. Of course the factory tuning can't adjust well to 87, which is why the factory says not to run below 91.

Ok, those are N54 tunes that are increasing power; what does that have to do with the adaption of the factory tune to an exhaust?

Man, you should have quit while you were behind. I'll play since I'm bored.

"As I increased the amount of Load requested to begin raising horsepower, it became obvious that the factory timing table was a bit too aggressive, especially at higher loads. The ECU properly addressed it via timing correction on the noisy cylinder(s), but relying on a prompt response from the ECU during knock events is a dangerous tuning strategy."

-Travis @ Cobb

This is an N54, not the S65 - first of all, and NA tuning is not FI tuning. Even still, the programing was able to adjust even when increasing the power output of the car, which we are not doing here (just changing exhaust and letting it adapt). I fail to see how this supports any of your arguments although, truth be told, I'm having difficulty following you at this point.

The S65 stock tuning can adapt safely to an exhaust - you don't know what you are talking about.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #142
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You guys are . Even in the facts you don't back down. Not uncommon but seriously gives me the The fact that you don't understand why an argument about running 87 is relevant to timing changes related to changing exhaust configuration is valid should be a clue to you.

Let's try a different highlighting strategy.

Quote:
How does it look now?

S65 doing timing correct for exhaust poses the same dangers as above. The physics are the same. There is no pixie dust in the S65 ECU that makes it work better. The base timing map after changing exhaust parts will not change and will be suboptimal requiring timing corrections which were designed to cope with fuel quality and manufacturing tolerances, and _not_ redneck engineering.
      06-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #143
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys are . Even in the facts you don't back down. Not uncommon but seriously gives me the The fact that you don't understand why an argument about running 87 is relevant to timing changes related to changing exhaust configuration is valid should be a clue to you.

Let's try a different highlighting strategy.

How does it look now?

S65 doing timing correct for exhaust poses the same dangers as above. The physics are the same. There is no pixie dust in the S65 ECU that makes it work better. The base timing map after changing exhaust parts will not change and will be suboptimal requiring timing corrections which were designed to cope with fuel quality and manufacturing tolerances, and _not_ redneck engineering.
LOL. Show me the logs that show detonation with an aftermarket exhaust like you would experience with 87 octane fuel. You are seriously saying, without any evidence to back it up, that putting an aftermarket exhaust on an M3 is a similar problem for the ECU to deal with as having 87 octane which will cause the M3 to detonate horribly (I imagine) at WOT. The physics are not at ALL the same.

You are comparing running a fuel outside of the manuf specs in the engine. The car will perform horribly, the engine will suffer some level of damage, and will dyno way down on power. Tell me how the "physics are the same" between that and the ECU adjusting fuel and timing, and probably some other things, for an exhaust that will improve the VE of the engine and result in more HP on the dyno? Makes no sense.

Explain this to me, how do people make more power on the dyno with constant detonation and timing being pulled? Why do tuners, who run the stock car on the dyno for a baseline, NEVER report what you are talking about? Seems like it would be an awesome way to sell their software. How can BMW sell their own exhaust which has been shown to make power on the dyno? Your argument makes no sense.

Also, "adjustments to the base map" are always needed regardless of aftermarket parts. That's why they call it a base map. If everything worked the same on every car in every environment, they would just call it "the map". By your logic - you better not change your fuel quality, drive at different altitudes, or in different ambient temperatures in your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #144
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Show me the logs that show detonation with an aftermarket exhaust like you would experience with 87 octane fuel. You are seriously saying, without any evidence to back it up, that putting an aftermarket exhaust on an M3 is a similar problem for the ECU to deal with as having 87 octane which will cause the M3 to detonate horribly (I imagine) at WOT. The physics are not at ALL the same.
Don't ask me to prove 1+1=2. At some point you understand the basics, or you don't. How about you show me datalogs of a S65 running properly unmodified, and one running with various exhaust changes? Who has provided _proof_ that this works optimally (for sure not) and secondly safely? More power doesn't mean safer. Attach a link to the S65 datalogs.

Quote:
You are comparing running a fuel outside of the manuf specs in the engine. The car will perform horribly, the engine will suffer some level of damage, and will dyno way down on power. Tell me how the "physics are the same" between that and the ECU adjusting fuel and timing, and probably some other things, for an exhaust that will improve the VE of the engine and result in more HP on the dyno? Makes no sense.

Explain this to me, how do people make more power on the dyno with constant detonation and timing being pulled? Why do tuners, who run the stock car on the dyno for a baseline, NEVER report what you are talking about? Seems like it would be an awesome way to sell their software. How can BMW sell their own exhaust which has been shown to make power on the dyno? Your argument makes no sense.

Also, "adjustments to the base map" are always needed regardless of aftermarket parts. That's why they call it a base map. If everything worked the same on every car in every environment, they would just call it "the map". By your logic - you better not change your fuel quality, drive at different altitudes, or in different ambient temperatures in your car.
Seriously, learn what ignition timing means first. Then what factors influence the optimal timing point(s), and the consequences of being wrong in either direction, and then the effect of octane on being able to reach that point. You can find books at the library about this. There will be potentially a lot of advanced math involved as well. Once you're done with that find a book in engineering principles - manufacturing tolerances and safety margins.
      06-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #145
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does it look now?
This is even funnier. You are totally misreading Travis' statement. Here, let's do this a third time:

So he was actually requesting more power from the engine and found that, at those higher load values, the timing was too aggressive. He was tuning the software.

Luckily, aftermarket exhausts do not reflash this ECU to request more power from the engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #146
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is even funnier. You are totally misreading Travis' statement. Here, let's do this a third time:

So he was actually requesting more power from the engine and found that, at those higher load values, the timing was too aggressive. He was tuning the software.

Luckily, aftermarket exhausts do not reflash this ECU to request more power from the engine.
You missed the point -entirely- and you took it literally. The point of *me* posting that was to prove that BMW engine control works in the same way as everyone else, there is no pixie dust making S65's work differently than all other modern engine control. I'd say I'm 2 steps ahead, but it's more like 5.
Catch up, you have a lot of reading to do.
      06-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #147
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You missed the point -entirely- and you took it literally. The point of *me* posting that was to prove that BMW engine control works in the same way as everyone else, there is no pixie dust making S65's work differently than all other modern engine control. I'd say I'm 2 steps ahead, but it's more like 5.
Catch up, you have a lot of reading to do.
I did miss your point. I don't debate that all programing, that I'm aware of, work based on map based systems with various logic to adjust those maps. I do debate that they all have the same adaptability and level of sophistication. If that were the case, then there would have been zero forward development in engine management in the past 20 years.

Look, I get it, you tuned a Subaru and read Maximum Boost, and now you are on another level. So do you go around to all web boards and tell them that exhaust modifications will blow their engines, or are we just fortunate? Please CC me on your letter to BMW warning them that their aftermarket exhausts are putting their engines in danger. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #148
///Megamind
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/FR 6MT

Wondering what happened to your M3. I have 08M3 as well with 14k miles on her. I have some cosmetic mods but my car is purely stock from mechanical stand point. 3 weeks ago, my engine blew up while cruising at 70 mph on a highway. The service center was trying to blame it on me saying it's due to over-revving and say I need a new engine and it won't be covered under warranty. I ensured them I never over-revved the car or mis-shifted. They decided open up the engine. After diagnosis on the opened up engine, they changed their mind and they are working on getting new engine installed on my M3. Now I just found out that the engine they are installing is a refurbished engine.
I'm wondering if the service center has done the same for you. Also does anyone know if the refurbished engine are rebuilt by BMW? I'm just so pissed at how BMW is handling all this.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #149
M3_FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspchoi View Post
Wondering what happened to your M3. I have 08M3 as well with 14k miles on her. I have some cosmetic mods but my car is purely stock from mechanical stand point. 3 weeks ago, my engine blew up while cruising at 70 mph on a highway. The service center was trying to blame it on me saying it's due to over-revving and say I need a new engine and it won't be covered under warranty. I ensured them I never over-revved the car or mis-shifted. They decided open up the engine. After diagnosis on the opened up engine, they changed their mind and they are working on getting new engine installed on my M3. Now I just found out that the engine they are installing is a refurbished engine.
I'm wondering if the service center has done the same for you. Also does anyone know if the refurbished engine are rebuilt by BMW? I'm just so pissed at how BMW is handling all this.
The refurbished engine is from BMW and refurbished to new specifications
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #150
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspchoi View Post
Only 14000 miles???? What was the cause the engine blew???

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #151
jrutig
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #152
xpock182
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Lol @ this Dexx kid, What a troll. I think we've all met people like him, The stubborn kid in class who never thinks hes wrong, argues with the professor despite his own lack of education. You will never convince him hes wrong. He just enjoys having a controversial perspective, and letting everyone known exactly what he thinks.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #153
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Mid-market rates: 2011-04-29 15:49 UTC

10,000.00 EUR = 14,822.03 USD
Euro US Dollar
1 EUR = 1.48220 USD 1 USD = 0.674671 EUR

$15,000 US for an engine is crazy!!!
I hope you mean crazy cheap!
      11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #154
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Rod completely snapped... another one bites the dust.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune on this OP.

Did they say anything about the condition of the bearings?

That would put alot of people's minds at ease.

This is not the first, second... or 6th time I have seen a snapped rod where the bearings were completely fine.

As for the exhaust s ignition timing arguement going on - please someone find the stock ignition map for WOT I have posted so many times on this forum. Will shut up the arguing when it seen the radical ignition targets the factory software runs.
Appreciate 0