BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
BMW Performance Driving School - how is it?

For those who have been to the PDS in South Carolina, how are the classes?

I notice they have several options. A Driver's 1 or 2 day course, as well as a 1 or 2 day M class.

I would like to take one of the courses before my M3 arrives in June (I hope) or soon after.

Ideally, I would like to take a course in which I will be learning the skills in an actual M3 so I am gaining specific skills and gaining a better understanding of the M3's handling and performance. Do you get to use a car that is similar to your own?

Any impressions or recommendations or thoughts on the PDC would be welcome.

Thanks.

PS I have heard that the other M cars have some kind of M delivery option where you get the school thrown in as part of the purchase, but I could have misunderstood what that was about.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

The M5 and M6 has the school built into the pricing. The M3 does not.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

did it for the m5 in 2003 and it was EXCELLENT. not sure about the current program though. sorry, not so helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
bmb
Rep
Drives: Future M3 Sedan (finally!)

I did the M School a couple years ago when I had my M3. It is fantastic!!! Here's the deal. Day one. Arrive at the hotel (very nice hotel, not a motel 6) and have dinner with the group and the instructors. Day 2 hop on the bus and head to the PDC. After a session in the class room of a little theory, etc., you get behind the wheel. If I remember correctly, you do 3 different excercises (skid pad, braking, etc.) in the morning to learn what you are doing. After that lunch is provided. The afternoon is basically the same as the morning, but you have a stop watch on your focus is on improving, etc. Once the day is done, you are fed again and then taken back to the hotel, exhausted. Day 3 you are off to the Michelin test facility for more driving. (Figure 8's, little autocross, wet handling course) Lunch provided and then a competition of sorts. There is a LOT of behind the wheel time. More than not. I learned a lot about the car and how to be a better driver. You are exposed to several different cars and transmissions so you are not put in a car just like yours the whole time. One excercise would be in an M5, the next would be an M3 with SMG, the next would be an M3 with a manual. Very good experience and definately worth if if you can swallow the $. By the way, we walked away with a helmet, duffle bag, polo shirt, and jacket. I will be glad to answer any more questions if you like. By the way, after you do the M School, you can go to the Advanced M School at Virginia Motor Speedway. That will be my next venture!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
bmb
Rep
Drives: Future M3 Sedan (finally!)

By the way, I would imagine they have a fleet of M3s by now. Before you book I would confirm first. Based on what I saw, they will be more than happy to answer questions. It really is a first class operation. If you saw the M3 Test Drive on Speedvision, you saw the facility and I imagine some of the excercises that are done now. One of the instructors seen on the show was there when I was there. The instructors are fantastic and the instructor to student ratio is about 1-4 so you get a lot of instruction.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Did the 2 day M school last year. Very good school. M5's and M6's, with Z4M's thrown in. This year their starting to add the new M3's. You will have to pay if you buy an M3. I paid last year for the school and felt it was well worth it. Much hands on driving and excellant instructors.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

I talked to the M school the other day and they do not offer the M3 right now. However we have a year to attend the M school from the date of purchase of our M's and its free for us owners!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick berry View Post
Did the 2 day M school last year. Very good school. M5's and M6's, with Z4M's thrown in. This year their starting to add the new M3's. You will have to pay if you buy an M3. I paid last year for the school and felt it was well worth it. Much hands on driving and excellant instructors.
They told me it was free for the first year of ownership.. I hope that was correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
They told me it was free for the first year of ownership.. I hope that was correct.
If it is free with the M3 then that is awesome. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. My CA told me it was not free, so let's hope he is wrong.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

I would be totally into doing this - w/ the PDC. But I didn't think it was free on a M3, so any clarification to the contrary would be great

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
I would be totally into doing this - w/ the PDC. But I didn't think it was free on a M3, so any clarification to the contrary would be great
So, I posted another thread on this. But the word from the PC is that it is not currently free for M3 buyers. But they are evaluating whether to add or change that policy.

Either way, sounds like a great experience. Thanks all for the advice.

One more question: Would it be overkill to combine a PCD and M School at the same time? I was thinking the 2 day M school, so that would be almost 3 days of track time.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
00o00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: its comming...

I’m planning on going at the end on august (M School)... I’m sooo excited!

What kind of experience do you need before you go? If any?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #13
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00o00 View Post
I’m planning on going at the end on august (M School)... I’m sooo excited!

What kind of experience do you need before you go? If any?
There are going to be people there at all different skill levels. Just go and enjoy. And watch out for the bad drivers!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
00o00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: its comming...

well i was wondering because i want to take my dad with me too... he doesn't know how to drive a traditional manual transmission... and matter how hard i try he refused to learn... so i imagine this to be a problem... however if they have SMG and DTC cars maybe not? can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0