BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Question Another "Which Exhaust?" Thread

I've searched pages and pages, and have narrowed done my likely exhaust purchase to the Eisenmann Sport or Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust.

I am looking for something louder than stock, but not so much so, with little to no drone, that I will not be sick of in 3-5 years from now. My car is strictly used as a daily driver so I really don't want the sound to be too obtrusive, that after a few thousand miles I will be sick of. That being said I want to know I've got something back there, and since neither of these set ups are cheap, some performance gain and weight saving would be nice.

FWIW, I plan on getting the AA Pulleys and Tune soon. Any advice?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
I've searched pages and pages, and have narrowed done my likely exhaust purchase to the Eisenmann Sport or Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust.

I am looking for something louder than stock, but not so much so, with little to no drone, that I will not be sick of in 3-5 years from now. My car is strictly used as a daily driver so I really don't want the sound to be too obtrusive, that after a few thousand miles I will be sick of. That being said I want to know I've got something back there, and since neither of these set ups are cheap, some performance gain and weight saving would be nice.

FWIW, I plan on getting the AA Pulleys and Tune soon. Any advice?
if your plannin on aa pulleys and aa tune id just say go with the aa exhaust...aa will be louder than the eisenmann sport and as for power gains they will both be around the same nothin too much, but thats common with "most" rear sections without x-pipes....just make sure you go through a few videos of both, so you can get an idea of what they sound like.....have you looked at meisterschaft? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
if your plannin on aa pulleys and aa tune id just say go with the aa exhaust...aa will be louder than the eisenmann sport and as for power gains they will both be around the same nothin too much, but thats common with "most" rear sections without x-pipes....just make sure you go through a few videos of both, so you can get an idea of what they sound like.....have you looked at meisterschaft? lol
I did hear the Meisterschaft GT2 in person, sounded nice, but louder than what I am looking for.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Interested in a GT? By the way Spencer I'm Damian, I met u at longtrans house when u got your springs installed
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Interested in a GT? By the way Spencer I'm Damian, I met u at longtrans house when u got your springs installed
Yeah what's up man? The springs working out well for you? I do like the GT2 , it sounds nice and is aggressive. I guess I wouldn't mind hearing it again, but I think it might be a bit louder than what I am looking for.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Maybe Akrapovic would be another good alternative worth looking into...

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Since you're in LA, Powerchip is pretty local.
I won't get into which is better; there are some nasty threads about that you should know about already.

Some people have said the AA is pretty loud, so you should try to hear one first.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
well if you wanna spend that kind of money, which imo is way too much for an exhaust and the sound is pretty

im guessin you probabily have seen this

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Since you're in LA, Powerchip is pretty local.
I won't get into which is better; there are some nasty threads about that you should know about already.

Some people have said the AA is pretty loud, so you should try to hear one first.
huh?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
I did hear the Meisterschaft GT2 in person, sounded nice, but louder than what I am looking for.
Eisenmann Sport would be good if your not looking for too loud and moderate whp but if you ever want to get xpipe later on it would most likely be as loud as a GT2
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

I'm going to save you a lot of time and frustration by pointing you to one of (if not the best) exhaust systems for our cars.

BASTUCK

Here is a link to pics and brief review:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273771

When you factor in price, sound, and those awesome exhaust tips...the Bastuck exhaust is tough to beat.

Plus...it's rare compared to the other brands.

Bastuck is not very well known, but they produce top quality exhaust systems for several European brands. This relatively unknown German exhaust manufacturer has been in business for 25 years, and they build exhaust systems for BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

I always tell guys to expand their horizons, as I see small specialized companies like Bastuck getting passed over or ignored. (because they don't really do a lot of marketing here in the states)

In my extensive travels around the world, I am constantly exposed to companies like Bastuck, who would rather build a top quality product...instead taking out a full page ads in every EuroTuner 'type' magazine...

Don't dismiss some of these established non-mainstream brands guys.

You have no idea what you are missing out on.

Forum sponsor WheelSto sells Bastuck. Contact them for pricing...

I think it will be cheaper (and lighter in overall weight) than the two brands you are looking at now...
      01-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I had the Remus Race originally and it is probably the most "exotic" sounding exhaust.

Now I have the RPI axle back which is slightly quieter and much deeper w/ the front cats gone.

The RPI axle back on the stock x-pipe sounds very good and it's not too loud.

After that I would say check out the Gintani sport.
      01-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I had the Remus Race originally and it is probably the most "exotic" sounding exhaust.

Now I have the RPI axle back which is slightly quieter and much deeper w/ the front cats gone.

The RPI axle back on the stock x-pipe sounds very good and it's not too loud.

After that I would say check out the Gintani sport.
remus race exotic?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

Everyone will steer you to a million different exhausts then your simple question was asking. I drive 30k miles a year on my 08 m3 e90 and i wanted the same as you. I got the aa from omar and in 8 degrees today i will be driving with sunroof open just to hear it. SHould answer your ?

get the aa. I'm thinking about there tune but i'm nervous of voiding warranty or having a problem...let me know if you get it and how it all goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Thanks Le Mans, I'll look into that.

Jlinke, that sounds good, that is what I am looking for. Something that is not too obtrusive and will not get old after a while. I feel like I have heard more overall negative reviews/opinions on the AA however over the Eisenmann Sport.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

I had a Bastuck on my 335 and the quality was top notch
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Spencer you know my two top picks

Lemans_Blue_M
I went to visit Bastuck two years ago in Germany. Such an amazing company with a huge plant with Race cars and hand built exhaust. Bastuck is Eisenmann's direct competitor in Germany.
      01-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
remus race exotic?
Sounds a lot better than the Korean Eisenmann knockoff AKA "master shaft".
      01-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:

your getting defensive over remus (remus is not exotic at all!) if you really think that cheap ass muffler sounds better than the GT2 you got some bad taste...besides the fact that it may be made in Korea (why would it matter?) the sound is very original if you put 2 cars next to each other with each muffler you'll be able to hear the difference....and how would the GT2 be a knockoff of Eisenmann when they both have completely different designs and tones?? i am however selling this exhaust because it wasnt giving me the performance i was hoping for and not because of those tasteless points you made above....i can honestly say i will miss this muffler, it has the best sound/tone IMO

Quote:
Thanks Le Mans, I'll look into that.

Jlinke, that sounds good, that is what I am looking for. Something that is not too obtrusive and will not get old after a while. I feel like I have heard more overall negative reviews/opinions on the AA however over the Eisenmann Sport.
so what are you looking at now? are the aa and the eisenmann sport out of the picture?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so what are you looking at now? are the aa and the eisenmann sport out of the picture?
No, all along it's been the AA and Eisenmann Sport, though I am intrigued by the Akra, I think it will come down to the AA and Eisenmann.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
prodigue
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Akra evolution ftw!

The gain in the on-the-fly response is unreal. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #22
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

I have the Akra and I love it.. but thats my opinion...there are more less expensive alts. I know the Eiss is good.

Quote:
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0