BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
eddieinotayev
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Used E90 M3 or EVO X

I know this is a uneven comparison but please hear me out.

I used to own a f30 335i, jb4, intake, down-pipe, and CP. Prob around 325whp. I Sold it because i thought the suspension was way to soft and boring, while it was certainly fast it didn't feel like it. Im in the market of a new sports car and i dont want to be in the same situation.

Just a disclaimer, i don't care about which is faster, more comfortable, more daily driver, reliability, etc...(" i already know all this information") ALL I CARE ABOUT or the reason why i am posting this thread, is which car is more fun, which car has the tuned suspension that makes you feel like you driving a rocket. FOR EXAMPLE Some cars have the same horsepower but one feels faster than the other. I care about the BUTT DYNO.

So lets begin, here are my 2 options

2011 EVO GSR fully modded with stock internals 500hp or 425whp. 75k miles, for price range around 25k. I have a friend selling one, i think he has the STX500 package from AMS.

2011 BMW M3 Stock, 75k miles, price range around 30k. I can find from a dealer.

Would like to hear experience from people who had both cars.

Your reply will really help my decision getting ready to buy a car real soon.

:resp ect:
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
eatsleepboost
Private
eatsleepboost's Avatar
20
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: Evo
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I had 2 Evo 8s and modded them both and now have an 11 zcp m3. It's hard to compare both cars. For me the Evo X never grew on me. I was very partial to the 4g63 engine. I recently turned 30 and to me the Evo seems more like a boy racer car. If I was still 25 or under I think I would have gotten another Evo instead of my m3. Especially one loaded with bolt ons. Everything is way cheaper on evos too as far as mods, repairs, maintenance, insurance etc so if finances make any decision for you there is a big savings to get an X. 5k on the top like u said then all then all maint and repairs. It is enjoyable driving the m3 and it's fun but it's no built Evo. I do miss the raw power of the Evo. That's all I miss about it though. The drivability, handling, brakes, interior, etc everything expect for power is better with the m3. Also depends on what you are gonna use the car for. Drag race, Evo all day. Auto-x or just fun daily driver or weekend car m3. If you have not driven an m3 yet you should. At first I was underwhelmed with the power but after doing some reading you gotta rev these engines up to make the power and I grew to love it. It's nice not having turbo lag any more. But it's never gonna compare to my old Evo going from 0psi to 30psi at wide open throttle. I will always miss that. Evo is better for year round driving too and is SO much fun to drive in the snow with snows.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
eddieinotayev
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I had 2 Evo 8s and modded them both and now have an 11 zcp m3. It's hard to compare both cars. For me the Evo X never grew on me. I was very partial to the 4g63 engine. I recently turned 30 and to me the Evo seems more like a boy racer car. If I was still 25 or under I think I would have gotten another Evo instead of my m3. Especially one loaded with bolt ons. Everything is way cheaper on evos too as far as mods, repairs, maintenance, insurance etc so if finances make any decision for you there is a big savings to get an X. 5k on the top like u said then all then all maint and repairs. It is enjoyable driving the m3 and it's fun but it's no built Evo. I do miss the raw power of the Evo. That's all I miss about it though. The drivability, handling, brakes, interior, etc everything expect for power is better with the m3. Also depends on what you are gonna use the car for. Drag race, Evo all day. Auto-x or just fun daily driver or weekend car m3. If you have not driven an m3 yet you should. At first I was underwhelmed with the power but after doing some reading you gotta rev these engines up to make the power and I grew to love it. It's nice not having turbo lag any more. But it's never gonna compare to my old Evo going from 0psi to 30psi at wide open throttle. I will always miss that. Evo is better for year round driving too and is SO much fun to drive in the snow with snows.
Thanks for your reply! You really helped me see the difference between the both. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
jhanksevo
SnakePDaGhost
United_States
56
Rep
303
Posts

Drives: 2009 e90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I had 2 Evo 8s and modded them both and now have an 11 zcp m3. It's hard to compare both cars. For me the Evo X never grew on me. I was very partial to the 4g63 engine. I recently turned 30 and to me the Evo seems more like a boy racer car. If I was still 25 or under I think I would have gotten another Evo instead of my m3. Especially one loaded with bolt ons. Everything is way cheaper on evos too as far as mods, repairs, maintenance, insurance etc so if finances make any decision for you there is a big savings to get an X. 5k on the top like u said then all then all maint and repairs. It is enjoyable driving the m3 and it's fun but it's no built Evo. I do miss the raw power of the Evo. That's all I miss about it though. The drivability, handling, brakes, interior, etc everything expect for power is better with the m3. Also depends on what you are gonna use the car for. Drag race, Evo all day. Auto-x or just fun daily driver or weekend car m3. If you have not driven an m3 yet you should. At first I was underwhelmed with the power but after doing some reading you gotta rev these engines up to make the power and I grew to love it. It's nice not having turbo lag any more. But it's never gonna compare to my old Evo going from 0psi to 30psi at wide open throttle. I will always miss that. Evo is better for year round driving too and is SO much fun to drive in the snow with snows.

I was in the same boat owned 2 evo 8s. The cars are completely different and will come down to what you want. I was not a fan of the 4b11 motor in the x and I think its because I am a 4g63 guy so its hard for me to tell you about it, but what I can say is it makes great power for cheap. You have to determine what you want out of your next car before you can decide
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
1499
Rep
6,097
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

drive both cars. accelerate hard at a corner exit at the top of the rev range. i think you'll find what you are looking for.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
491
Rep
4,372
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

You will want a supercharger on the M3. Even then it needs to be revved.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
RjR
Enlisted Member
7
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

I got both, for the same reason others have said, they are two completely different cars. If I had to pick I would stay with the evo. It feels lighter and nimbler than the m.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
MrMikeHenry
Lieutenant
United_States
55
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 m3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

I have owned a 2011 EVO x, 2013 335i , and a 2011 M3 I will say an evo you can make it faster for a lot less money than the m3 but I would take a m3 over an evo it just feels more beefy. The m3 handles better sounds better and the interior in superior in every way. But it's personal preference if u like tuning evo is the car for you very easy and cheap to make big power.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
srmast1
Lieutenant
srmast1's Avatar
102
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

I came from a tuned 2011 sti ~300 whp and while it felt faster than the m3 and accelerated harder, I prefer the m3. First, the m3 is a beautiful car, and felt more special in every way but your butt dyno will probably give the nod to the evo. The Japanese tuner cars are cheap speed in comparo to the e9x m3. I though the suspension on the sti was too taught as well. In order for it to compare, you are going to have to supercharge the m3 and that opens up a whole separate can of worms and can be quite expensive as well. Personally, I don't think I would feel so comfortable slapping a supercharger on a engine with 75k miles that was never meant for forced induction. Drive both cars, but if you are looking for that brutal acceleration that will make your butt dyno happy, it'll be the evo unless you supercharge. And you want a taught suspension, which the evo is known for.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
rcracin
Lieutenant
114
Rep
533
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Nothing satisfies the butt dyno like being pushed back into your seat when the turbo spools. You'll love the m3, but I think it will leave you wanting more in the power department and mods arent cheap. The evo sounds like your best option. Worst case, rock the evo for a year and see if it satisfies you. BUT, if you got used to the luxury of a bmw with your f30, you won't find that with the evo. I think you already know that though.

If it was just suspension with the f30, why didn't you just get coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Dan Bilzerian's Avatar
186
Rep
1,069
Posts

Drives: E90 325i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonds,WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Nothing satisfies the butt dyno like being pushed back into your seat when the turbo spools. You'll love the m3, but I think it will leave you wanting more in the power department and mods arent cheap. The evo sounds like your best option. Worst case, rock the evo for a year and see if it satisfies you. BUT, if you got used to the luxury of a bmw with your f30, you won't find that with the evo. I think you already know that though.

If it was just suspension with the f30, why didn't you just get coilovers?
That's a good point. Put a set of Ohlins on and you have a new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
eddieinotayev
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Nothing satisfies the butt dyno like being pushed back into your seat when the turbo spools. You'll love the m3, but I think it will leave you wanting more in the power department and mods arent cheap. The evo sounds like your best option. Worst case, rock the evo for a year and see if it satisfies you. BUT, if you got used to the luxury of a bmw with your f30, you won't find that with the evo. I think you already know that though.

If it was just suspension with the f30, why didn't you just get coilovers?
So getting shorter springs makes the car feel faster?. If yes i guess ill do that on the M3 so it will feel the same like the EVO. I perfer the M3, but if its that much funner to sacrifice the BMW's luxury i will take the EVO.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
Munichm3
Lieutenant
227
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

I remember driving an evo X, and while it was fast, it felt extremely unstable at high speeds... Iím talking 100+ while in the e9x, 100+ feels like youíre cruising
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
rdoctor
Lieutenant
51
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
Sounds like the EVO would be the best bet for the OP.
__________________
e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// HRE R43 18x9.5 et23; 18x10.5 et28 on PSS 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
DSilk
Captain
United_States
186
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieinotayev View Post
So getting shorter springs makes the car feel faster?. If yes i guess ill do that on the M3 so it will feel the same like the EVO. I perfer the M3, but if its that much funner to sacrifice the BMW's luxury i will take the EVO.
The 335i has a softer suspension than the M3. The M3 has adjustible dampers (comfort, normal, sport) that you can switch on the go. No need to fit aftermarket springs to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Dan Bilzerian's Avatar
186
Rep
1,069
Posts

Drives: E90 325i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonds,WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
The 335i has a softer suspension than the M3. The M3 has adjustible dampers (comfort, normal, sport) that you can switch on the go. No need to fit aftermarket springs to the M3.
No need? There's always a need to put on a set of ohlins!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #17
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
720
Rep
4,023
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

I had an 05 Evo 8.. it was the final one with the ACD and front LSD like the Evo 9. And I had a 08 Evo X. Both were very fun cars.

If this is just your weekend car which you take out the track or on fun twisty road drives - the Evo will be much more fun to drive. But if you value things like comfort and want a car you can use every day - while still having fun on track the M3 fits the bill better. The Evos only felt good when you were pushing it. My Evo X Recaros were super uncomfortable for me and on long drives my back would hurt. The Evo 8 had more comfortable seats. The M3 I could relax in and have a good time at lower speeds.

That said, I could never match my lap times I set in my tuned Evo X in my M3. I probably would have kept the Evo if I bought a 2nd car to daily drive.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
720
Rep
4,023
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
No need? There's always a need to put on a set of ohlins!
I strongly agree. The biggest let down in the M3 is the terrible stock suspension. It lacks rebound and you float over road bumps in any setting. (sport just makes it uncomfortable without increasing grip) That and the lack of shock travel - on any hard cornering, the car rides the bump stops.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #19
SFCM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
41
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: '11 E90M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (1)

I had an EVO X for a short amount of time. It was an OK car, but I was always partial to RWD cars. Also for those saying Japanese cars are cheap, try having a clutch replaced on the EVO X, get ready for a $2500 repair bill, and that's with stock parts...DIY is NO FUN either. I will take my e90 m3 over an EVO X anyday.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
R3dliner
Major
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
1,272
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

If anything get the earlier evo's. The X is just hideous look wise especially the back end.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
cenix
Captain
cenix's Avatar
United_States
218
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, F15
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (5)

I'd skip both and grab a clean AP2 S2000. If you're going to keep it factory/stock, get the 2008/2009 CR version for a firmer, stiffer suspension and crisper handling.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
eddieinotayev
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
I'd skip both and grab a clean AP2 S2000. If you're going to keep it factory/stock, get the 2008/2009 CR version for a firmer, stiffer suspension and crisper handling.
08-09 CR?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST