BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

09-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Rajmun340
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Unhappy Got car back and found this..

A little less than a month ago my car was at the dealer for them to fix previous work messup where they mis-installed a panel related to dashboard reinstall in evaporator work under warranty (car is a 2013).
At the same time they also diagnosed an engine vibration harmonic in neutral at a specific low RPM. They found the vibration to be normal. I remember the foreman telling me they put the car "up" and ran it while running tests.

When i got the car back i focused on the interior work and didn't notice this until i washed my car yesterday. Luckily I usually take pictures of my car whenever I bring the car to the dealer and i have one for that exact angle just before they did the work (not shown). This was not there.

This is not my daily. I never park close to sidewalks and choose my spots carefully. Never hit anything on the road. I know this happened at the dealer. The scratches are fairly high at about 6 1/4 inches above the ground and only on the right side. there are two directions of scratches making V's shapes.

I'm trying to think what is the best approach to handle this. Obviously the dealer should fix it and I am going to demand it. but if they deny it because of the time that passed what should I do ?

Name:  IMG_20170919_091013985_small.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  253.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20170919_091028812_small.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  198.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20170919_090959206_small.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  267.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
SoManyBlueCars
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 / 2014 328i xDrive

Car is wrecked brah. Trash it.

In all seriousness, a dealer should do a walk around with you when dropping off and have you sign off in and marks on the car. If they did not do this, then they cannot prove they did not do it.

On Instagram @MachinesWithSouls | Website: http://machineswithsouls.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
DSilk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Car is wrecked brah. Trash it.

In all seriousness, a dealer should do a walk around with you when dropping off and have you sign off in and marks on the car. If they did not do this, then they cannot prove they did not do it.
By the same token, the OP cannot prove that they DID do it. I recommend that he go back to the dealer, talk to his service advisor and show him the scratches. If the dealer is interested in keeping him as a satisfied customer they will step up. My recommendation to the OP is to not start a fight with the dealership or threaten to sue. Being accusatory and aggressive will only force the dealer into a defensive posture. If the dealer doesn't offer to make things right, at that point he should calmly consider his options.
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT SSII

My dealer also does a walk around with checklist when dropping off the car to note any scratches, rock chips, damage etc. Pretty sure they all do this, so they should have some record of what they saw when you dropped it off. Guessing it'll be your word vs theirs though since you didn't immediately see the damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N55, E90 S65

My honest opinion is that you're not going to have any luck with them admitting fault here. You have a before picture, but do you have a pick-up picture? If not, a lot of time has passed, and I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to believe that this did not happen during their possession of your car.

Not up to the service standards I would hold a dealer, but I had a similar case with Costco tire service that I was unsuccessful in getting compensation for. My car ended up with a large paint chip/flake on the front bumper (about the size of a dime). I did not have before pictures, but had after pictures and dashcam footage where I could show the technician dragged a hose across the front of my car. It wasn't a good enough angle to show it rubbing the front of my car in any way, but it was also against their practice to have hoses dragged across cars. They just denied fault and it wasn't worthwhile pursuing any further for me, other than to take my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
Brn2Drive
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I had a similar experience with my local dealer. They curbed one of my wheels really bad and didn't tell me. The service advisor actually gave my my car outside of the service bays and backed against the bay door with the damaged wheel out of my sight. I did a quick walk and didnt see any damage because of the angle.

Well i drove home, which is a mile from the dealership, left the car in the garage for a week, then the next time i drove it i saw the huge mark on the wheel.

I called and explained the situation, they told me that I must have hit a curb in my 1 mile trip home. I told them impossible and I would take this up with BMW NA if they didnt take my claim seriously. In the end they ended up fixing the wheel.

I actually drove my car home, took the wheel off and drove the wheel back to them in the trunk of my SUV...those fools aren't touching my car again. I understand people make mistakes but hiding the mistake and then lying about it is not ok in my book.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
Munichm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn2Drive View Post
I had a similar experience with my local dealer. They curbed one of my wheels really bad and didn't tell me. The service advisor actually gave my my car outside of the service bays and backed against the bay door with the damaged wheel out of my sight. I did a quick walk and didnt see any damage because of the angle.

Well i drove home, which is a mile from the dealership, left the car in the garage for a week, then the next time i drove it i saw the huge mark on the wheel.

I called and explained the situation, they told me that I must have hit a curb in my 1 mile trip home. I told them impossible and I would take this up with BMW NA if they didnt take my claim seriously. In the end they ended up fixing the wheel.

I actually drove my car home, took the wheel off and drove the wheel back to them in the trunk of my SUV...those fools aren't touching my car again. I understand people make mistakes but hiding the mistake and then lying about it is not ok in my book.
Reason I never go to the stealerships. I feel like they do more harm than good
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
BOOF-M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Took my car in for oil change. Next time someone sits in passenger seat the belt warning goes off. Turned out it was the seat pad sensor. Coincidence?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Rajmun340
Captain
Rep

I went to talk about it to the foreman without being accusatory or putting up a fight which was good advice . I showed the intact bumper on the before picture. He pointed out the time that passed since. I told him I know i did not do this. He said he did not do that but admitted that he was not the only one who drove my car in the shop. I know my car went on a lift, could it have happened there ? He said that I would not be happy with a repaint as its a different level of risk then mentionned that front splitters would cover the scratches and took pictures of the scratch on the car. I agreed to the splitters idea. He then said he would bring it up to the GM to see what he can do but said he did not want to own it.

After a day passed without a call, I met and talked calmly with the GM whom I previously knew. I found that he was offsite the previous day and they had not talked about it yet. He checked the before picture on my smarthphone with the date info. He said this can be "easily fixed" then said he would talk to the foreman first and to wait until my next scheduled service as they're waiting for another part on my car.

It seems I am at their mercy. I hope they will move in the right direction. I am guessing that internally they will probe their techs to find how it happened. A repaint would cost about the same as splitters. I would favor splitters as it adds less risk than repaint.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Mvy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I do hope you get it worked out, and I sympathize. Shit like this happens at indy shops too. As long as people admit and work with you, then you know they are worth working with. But you do bear the responsibility of being watchful and reporting things right away or else you are only making it harder for yourself. Its the problem with having nice things, everyone and everything is constantly trying to ruin it.

But from past experience, dont let this ruin your enjoyment of the car. Its really a small thing and only you will notice it. Once you have a ding, at least its over with. This is not a concourse Ferrari, its meant to be used and with use some wear, tear and dings happen. You should see the condition of the underside of my skirt after lowering ;-)

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Clash0901
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

OMG I would flip out... So sorry to see this happen
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
Rajmun340
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
By the same token, the OP cannot prove that they DID do it. I recommend that he go back to the dealer, talk to his service advisor and show him the scratches. If the dealer is interested in keeping him as a satisfied customer they will step up. My recommendation to the OP is to not start a fight with the dealership or threaten to sue. Being accusatory and aggressive will only force the dealer into a defensive posture. If the dealer doesn't offer to make things right, at that point he should calmly consider his options.
Dsilk, if the poster could select the best received advice I'd select yours. I gave an update above, the G.M. said he'll talk to the foreman first and asked me to wait until they receive an unrelated part they'd ordered for my interior and that they'll fix the bumper when they do that work. I complied and waited. Now the part has arrived to the parts department but no call from the dealer. I'm trying to think what are my options for the bumper. I have to find out how they intend to 'fix' it. I'll favor the CF splitter suggested by the foremean (but he said it is the G.M.'s call ) as I'd rather not repaint and i know that touch up would not fix it right and would not make it up.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 10-20-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 02:40 AM   #13
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

Unfortunately it seems you are at their mercy . I had a similar experience once, since then I religiously walk around my car to make sure it's all good before driving off. I spotted a big bumper rash/scratch mark before leaving once and they repaired it on their dime.

Once driven home it's difficult to prove it wasn't you, they deal with all sorts of people too...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #14
M_Three
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

A month later you notice some damage and think the dealer will take responsibility? It is highly unlikely they will and for good reason. We are not talking about you finding this the next day after you picked up your car. That would be different. A month? No way.. and I am sorry for saying that. I know you are already upset
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #15
Rajmun340
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel View Post
Unfortunately it seems you are at their mercy . I had a similar experience once, since then I religiously walk around my car to make sure it's all good before driving off. I spotted a big bumper rash/scratch mark before leaving once and they repaired it on their dime.

Once driven home it's difficult to prove it wasn't you, they deal with all sorts of people too...
Unfortunately it seems so. How did they repair your bumper rash/scratch, did they repaint the whole bumper ?
The agravating factor for them is that the only reason my car was at the dealer at all is because they previously screwed up my dashboard when working on an AC repair and I had to bring it back for them to fix their screw up. I usually spend my time looking at the paint but that time I focused my inspection on the interior and only did a quick walk around.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 10-21-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #16
Rajmun340
Captain
Rep

When i picked up my car that day i focused on their interior work and only sparingly walked around the car. You have to squat down low on at the bumper right side low corner not to miss the scratches. Unlike the top pictures these pictures below are taken from a standing position don't reveal the scratches (but they're there).

But something suspicious comes back to my mind. The GM and his foreman were both present when i picked up the car. We were all standing by the driver side door looking at the interior that they had worked on when i noticed a small nick on the door jamb. It was nothing much and i just mentioned it distractingly without emphasis and probed it with my finger. Immediately they suddenly both walked in unisson toward the front right side of my bumper and stopped and stood there staring back at me with long stern faces. I remember thinking that was most weird and it is why i remember it. At the time i discarded that as a tactic to get my attention away from the small nick but this lingered on my mind (the nick turned out to be nothing but just a seat belt nick that i can live with). But now thinking back at that synchronized action i think they both knew about the bumper scratches and went right standing and glued themselves to it so that i would look everywhere but there. Sure enough i did not ask two persons to move out of the way.
My guess is that the porter or tech responsible for the scratches lied to management, they believed him thinking this was pre-existing and that i may not know about it and did not want me to discover it on their premises. They did not know I had taken beforehand pictures. When i found the bumper scratches and showed the picture the GM even said they'll fix it when parts arrive (unrelated) but now the parts are here and they refuse to take responsibility for the scratches.

Name:  IMG_20171023_101446375_HDR_m3p.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  326.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20171023_102307332_HDR.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  210.2 KB
Appreciate 0