BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
zapptiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
"CEL" really important?

Hi guys,
I am totally new for here and noob for modding but still wanna start mod my E92 M3. So the first thing will be exhaust. I ordered catless x pipe and muffler already(hopefully they will arrive this week). And I am debating about the CEL cuz I heard that catless would make that happen. I would have several question about that:

1. Do I really need to tune it to prevent the CEL? If so, any recommend; If not, would any situation harm my engine(like if there IS really something wrong with it) since I am ignoring it?

2. If I change back OME x pipe without previous tuned, the CEL would be prevented?

3. If I got pulled over, how should I explain about this?(Quote from the x-pipe website: "exhaust systems/components used or intended for use on “racing vehicles” (i.e. a competition vehicle used exclusively for competition on closed-course circuits) do not require an exemption or Executive Order from CARB to be sold in California. However, such parts are prohibited from use on California public highways or roads, even if occasionally used “off-road.")

So far these are all my questions for the current situation, you might laugh at me cuz I am a noob but please give your advice about these. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapptiger View Post
Hi guys,
I am totally new for here and noob for modding but still wanna start mod my E92 M3. So the first thing will be exhaust. I ordered catless x pipe and muffler already(hopefully they will arrive this week). And I am debating about the CEL cuz I heard that catless would make that happen. I would have several question about that:

1. Do I really need to tune it to prevent the CEL? If so, any recommend; If not, would any situation harm my engine(like if there IS really something wrong with it) since I am ignoring it?

2. If I change back OME x pipe without previous tuned, the CEL would be prevented?

3. If I got pulled over, how should I explain about this?(Quote from the x-pipe website: "exhaust systems/components used or intended for use on “racing vehicles” (i.e. a competition vehicle used exclusively for competition on closed-course circuits) do not require an exemption or Executive Order from CARB to be sold in California. However, such parts are prohibited from use on California public highways or roads, even if occasionally used “off-road.")

So far these are all my questions for the current situation, you might laugh at me cuz I am a noob but please give your advice about these. Thanks guys!
You should do a little searching in this section because most of these questions have been answered. But since I am already typing here, here are the responses:

1) Tune is the best solution as it frees up more horsepower and you are really taking advantage of your modification. There is also the Akra Delete-R and Hamburger (some company like that) fix. If you just leave the light on, how will you know if something else goes wrong? Are you going to check your codes daily? It is a good idea to insure it gets turned off properly. For example, how do you know (if you leave the light on) if your pre-cat O2 sensor is failing which pretty much tells the car how much fuel versus air to put into the system by measuring exhaust gasses? Just some thoughts here...

2) If you put the cats back on the car, and your rear O2 sensors are not gummed up, then the car should function properly in regards to the CEL. If you drive long enough though, your rear O2 sensor will be destroyed.

3) Any modification to the emissions systems on cars is illegal. Plain and simple. However, not all states regulate it the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My E92M has been catless for about 20k miles now. The CEL doesn't bother me so I didn't consider any tunes or modules to delete. Also, I got other warnings on my iDrive if any other issues came up besides emissions.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
zapptiger
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
You should do a little searching in this section because most of these questions have been answered. But since I am already typing here, here are the responses:

1) Tune is the best solution as it frees up more horsepower and you are really taking advantage of your modification. There is also the Akra Delete-R and Hamburger (some company like that) fix. If you just leave the light on, how will you know if something else goes wrong? Are you going to check your codes daily? It is a good idea to insure it gets turned off properly. For example, how do you know (if you leave the light on) if your pre-cat O2 sensor is failing which pretty much tells the car how much fuel versus air to put into the system by measuring exhaust gasses? Just some thoughts here...

2) If you put the cats back on the car, and your rear O2 sensors are not gummed up, then the car should function properly in regards to the CEL. If you drive long enough though, your rear O2 sensor will be destroyed.

3) Any modification to the emissions systems on cars is illegal. Plain and simple. However, not all states regulate it the same.

Thanks so much for your reply!
So wonder how much driving would be regarded as "drive long enough"? I would assuming O2 sensor destroyed is pretty bad? Also for the ak r deleter, if my car is still under warranty, I will have to remove it before I go to dealership?
And for pulling over, whats the worst situation that cop will do to me? Arrest? Warning& Ticket? Or etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
zapptiger
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE View Post
My E92M has been catless for about 20k miles now. The CEL doesn't bother me so I didn't consider any tunes or modules to delete. Also, I got other warnings on my iDrive if any other issues came up besides emissions.
Thanks for your reply!
Hows your O2 sensor after 20k miles?
Yeah, maybe I will get use to it but I still prefer to have "All system OK" on my iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
InspireSiR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Are you saying if I get test pipes installed, it will eventually destroy the rear O2 sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I may have mispoke, but it doesn't matter if it is bad or good. It is going to be giving a reading that doesn't mean anything. The rear O2 essentially is there to tell you if your Cat is working properly, while the pre-cat O2 sensors gives you a reading on your combustion process.
Appreciate 0