BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

05-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #243
Mason3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E92 M3 and '12 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [9.34]
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdu4ea View Post
HKS GTS8550:
100,000 rpm
24 psi
925 CFM (~620hp)
12 lbs
60,000 mile oil change intervals
1 year warranty
$3250 MSRP

Vortech V3 Si:
52,000 rpm
22 psi
1150 CFM (~775hp)
18 lbs
2,500 mile oil change (break-in), 7,500 mile intervals thereafter
1 year warranty
$2400 MSRP

The horsepower numbers for the HKS you stated above look a little off. According to HKS, the blower used for AA's 625hp kit (HKS GTS8550) is only rated to 500ps or 494hp. Am I missing something? I mean it may be underrated a little but I doubt HKS would underrate their own blower by 131hp.

Take a look at this:

http://www.hksaustralia.com.au/pdf/N...%20GTS8555.pdf
Akrapovic Evolution
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #244
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post

Go find a open road, do some friendly runs. At the end of the day, we're all the same. We all love cars and we are all here for the fun
amen to that bro!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #245
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
img, if you are not trying to stir the pot, then why havent u updated the 1st post of the thread stating or quoting the owner where he says that the dyno isnt accurate because he had an issue w/ his 02 sensors?

Not looking to take sides, but just pointing out the obvious

Also,

I think Sam has a very good idea on how ESS s/c's work, bc correct me if I'm wrong but didnt He work on PG's car which had the stroker and ess blower?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #246
spdu4ea
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3 View Post
The horsepower numbers for the HKS you stated above look a little off. According to HKS, the blower used for AA's 625hp kit (HKS GTS8550) is only rated to 500ps or 494hp. Am I missing something? I mean it may be underrated a little but I doubt HKS would underrate their own blower by 131hp.

Take a look at this:

http://www.hksaustralia.com.au/pdf/N...%20GTS8555.pdf
You're right that HKS recommends the GTS8550 for 250-500ps applications, but you really shouldn't trust a hp rating for turbo/SC/intercoolers. CFM is how designers specify them because CFM is what they actually flow... 1000CFM on a 2009 M3 is going to make a lot more power than 1000CFM on a 1984 Fleetwood Brougham (despite both engines displacing ~4L in an aluminum V8 package).

Anyway, HKS rates the GTS8550 for 26m^3/m (~925cfm) while Vortech rates the V3Si for 1150cfm. I'm sure both will flow even more than that if pushed off the map, but that's their "real" rating -- not power. Unfortunately, most people have no clue what to do with CFM numbers so manufacturers usually throw up rough power estimates based on whatever conversion factor they wanted to use. The problem is all of these manufacturers use different conversion factors...

I use 1.5cfm ~= 1hp. The M3 breathes better than most cars so it's probably more like 1.45cfm, but I like round numbers... Using 1.5, 925cfm --> 617hp (HKS) and 1150cfm --> 767hp (Vortech).

Vortech says 775, which is close enough (and a nice round number), but HKS says 500ps (495hp) which is obviously ultra-conservative (like most things HKS). 625hp (~530whp) is a more accurate power rating, but again, what really matters is that it flows 925cfm.

To go off topic a bit, I personally find the different vendor approaches interesting... There's an old (bad?) joke about the pessimist, optimist, and the engineer. The first says the glass is half-empty, the next says it's half-full, and the engineer says the glass is twice as large as it needed to be. AA has specified exactly the "right" size supercharger for the power and paid a ~50% premium for one that is quieter, lighter, and has a longer service interval. But imo they've left no room for an easy upgrade, and I'm not sure the average FI customer will appreciate AA's zen-like engineering restraint.

ESS used to have a similar philosophy with their E46 CFR kits, but I'm guessing they grew tired of trying to convince peak-power obsessed Americans to pay more for a SC that doesn't make the same 'number' despite having similar/better area under the curve & driving dynamics. Instead, they're now going with a less expensive but larger charger than required. This means there is room for further inexpensive upgrades and, despite committing the engineering sin of overbuilding, I imagine most customers feel better knowing they have some cushion rather than being at/near the SC's rated limit.

From a business standpoint, I think ESS absolutely made the right choice. From an engineer's perspective, I admire AA's willingness to make what they consider the ultimate driving machine even if their kits appear to come up short in every popular comparative metric. It's similar to DCT vs 6MT: there is no question that the DCT is faster, but how do you quantify the pleasure derived from driving a 6MT? And I just can't help but wonder what charger ESS would have picked if they didn't have to compete with Vortech numbers put down by kits from VF and Gintani...

/rambling
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #247
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
To go off topic a bit, I personally find the different vendor approaches interesting... There's an old (bad?) joke about the pessimist, optimist, and the engineer. The first says the glass is half-empty, the next says it's half-full, and the engineer says the glass is twice as large as it needed to be. AA has specified exactly the "right" size supercharger for the power and paid a ~50% premium for one that is quieter, lighter, and has a longer service interval. But imo they've left no room for an easy upgrade, and I'm not sure the average FI customer will appreciate AA's zen-like engineering restraint.

ESS used to have a similar philosophy with their E46 CFR kits, but I'm guessing they grew tired of trying to convince peak-power obsessed Americans to pay more for a SC that doesn't make the same 'number' despite having similar/better area under the curve & driving dynamics. Instead, they're now going with a less expensive but larger charger than required. This means there is room for further inexpensive upgrades and, despite committing the engineering sin of overbuilding, I imagine most customers feel better knowing they have some cushion rather than being at/near the SC's rated limit.

From a business standpoint, I think ESS absolutely made the right choice. From an engineer's perspective, I admire AA's willingness to make what they consider the ultimate driving machine even if their kits appear to come up short in every popular comparative metric. It's similar to DCT vs 6MT: there is no question that the DCT is faster, but how do you quantify the pleasure derived from driving a 6MT? And I just can't help but wonder what charger ESS would have picked if they didn't have to compete with Vortech numbers put down by kits from VF and Gintani...

/rambling
Well said -

You're summary above is a beacon in the fog of all the dick measuring that has occurred over the last 12 pages
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #248
Mason3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E92 M3 and '12 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [9.34]
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You're right that HKS recommends the GTS8550 for 250-500ps applications, but you really shouldn't trust a hp rating for turbo/SC/intercoolers. CFM is how designers specify them because CFM is what they actually flow... 1000CFM on a 2009 M3 is going to make a lot more power than 1000CFM on a 1984 Fleetwood Brougham (despite both engines displacing ~4L in an aluminum V8 package).

Anyway, HKS rates the GTS8550 for 26m^3/m (~925cfm) while Vortech rates the V3Si for 1150cfm. I'm sure both will flow even more than that if pushed off the map, but that's their "real" rating -- not power. Unfortunately, most people have no clue what to do with CFM numbers so manufacturers usually throw up rough power estimates based on whatever conversion factor they wanted to use. The problem is all of these manufacturers use different conversion factors...

I use 1.5cfm ~= 1hp. The M3 breathes better than most cars so it's probably more like 1.45cfm, but I like round numbers... Using 1.5, 925cfm --> 617hp (HKS) and 1150cfm --> 767hp (Vortech).

Vortech says 775, which is close enough (and a nice round number), but HKS says 500ps (495hp) which is obviously ultra-conservative (like most things HKS). 625hp (~530whp) is a more accurate power rating, but again, what really matters is that it flows 925cfm.

/rambling

While I don't doubt that the blower can push that much CFM, it is going to do so at the top end of it's range. Way outside its efficiency range that even the manufacturer has rated at 500ps.

The ratio you use assumes that blowers are as efficient at the top end as they are on the low end (i.e. Dividing CFM by 1.5). However, As the CFM continues to go up, so does the RPM of the blower. As the RPM goes up so does the temperature. As the blower temperature goes up, so do the intake temps. As intake temps go up, the power gains will start to go down in respect to the additional CFM because you are beyond the blowers capacity.

Having a blower slightly bigger than you need is obviously better than trying to overwork a small blower rated 125hp lower than your target goal as it will operate in the middle of it's peak efficiency range AND not run out of power at high engine rpm's. Not to mention the unit itself is not spinning at it's absolute max speed and would undoubtedly have better longevity.
Akrapovic Evolution
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #249
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Sam

As an active dealer I can understand your support but unless you have done business with us or have a working knowledge of our operation you should not be making direct comparisons. We have two locations for a reason. One location is in Europe and one is in the US. Because we develop, test and support products outside the US it is critical that we have facilities in both regions. Also we like to run our test cars at locations like the Nürburgring so it is critical that we have our facility there. You simply cannot replicate the test conditions in the US like you can is Europe. We have one US address for customers to send ECU's and one Europen address for customers to send ECU's. I am in the US 100% of the time and AJ splits time in both regions depending on what projects we are working on.

Our focus is on that side of the business and not retail accessories. Because of this it allows us to spend our time and efforts developing products that other can't like the E60 M5 / M6 supercharger and the N62 supercharger.

We make more superchargers and have more tuning options for BMW than any other vendor. If you want to test this for yourself feel free to visit our website and compare. Our staff is 90% engineers and 10% sales and support. If our products were less reliable and failed more often than they do or if we decided that selling wheels and tires was a necessity I guess we would need to hire more guys but in the past 16 years our system has worked well.
Roman

We have bought ESS directly from ESS before, I have spoken to AJ/Ashborne during the installation process, exchanged emails with AJ. When customers come into the shop, both AA & ESS products are offered as it's up to the consumer. For the people that have dealt with me, I typically don't say anything negative unless I have had a bad experience which has not been the case with how the ESS SC kits run. We have purchased, installed & support ESS customers for many years despite whether they purchased the kit directly from us or not. It seems we are there more for support & service than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post

Josh
Hey Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post
img, if you are not trying to stir the pot, then why havent u updated the 1st post of the thread stating or quoting the owner where he says that the dyno isnt accurate because he had an issue w/ his 02 sensors?

Also,

I think Sam has a very good idea on how ESS s/c's work, bc correct me if I'm wrong but didnt He work on PG's car which had the stroker and ess blower?
Darwin is suppose to dyno his car tomorrow if he can get out of the shop to see if removing the Akrapovic Delete-R makes a difference.

I have not only worked on PG's car but driven it many times along with other ESS cars (E9x M3, E46, X5). Nothing but good things to say about how the standard kit runs.

Just for reference for the E9x M3: my driving experience includes RD Sport Stroker (DCT & MT), Dinan Stroker (DCT), AA Supercharged (DCT & MT), ESS Supercharged (DCT & MT), G-Power Supercharged (DCT & MT), Gintani Supercharged (DCT) plus RD Stroked & ESS Supercharged (MT) which means I can honestly share the positive aspects of each kit
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #250
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post

Also,

I wouldve updated it if it was a valid point but sadly its not like everyone thinks,the delete-r doesnt affect O2 sensor reading.And would like to be proven wrong also would like to see the results.

Last edited by IMG; 05-26-2011 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #251
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Roman

We have bought ESS directly from ESS before, I have spoken to AJ/Ashborne during the installation process, exchanged emails with AJ. When customers come into the shop, both AA & ESS products are offered as it's up to the consumer.
I am AJ, or Asbjorn which is my actual name. I can not recall to have ever dealt with you/AutoTalent on any ESS E9x M3 products at all. The only car of this platform I am aware you have worked on is Robert's 4.6L M3, but you never did any SC work on that car as that system was installed here at ESS in Phoenix.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #252
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
I wouldve updated it if it was a valid point but sadly its not like everyone thinks,the delete-r doesnt affect O2 sensor reading.And would like to be proven wrong also would like to see the results.
The Delete-R does not modify any sensor signals at all. It simply sends a CAN fault code erase message now and then to prevent a CEL from coming on.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #253
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@ESS View Post
The Delete-R does not modify any sensor signals at all. It simply sends a CAN fault code erase message now and then to prevent a CEL from coming on.
Thanks AJ !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #254
bobby_digital
Banned
Rep
Drives: 10 M3

so, instead of comparing the real world results, we are going by manufacturers claims?

Boosted-M 23.5hp/psi

Mindless spades-18HP/PSI

ProdigyMB-19.7hp/PSI

AKH-22HP/PSI

taken right from their before and after dyno's-

so, i think, that given the fact that some are intercooled, some are not, and some are on meth (which showed no increase in power, only a consistance in the delivery of it)

that up to the 7psi dyno'd, each blower is DELIVERING the same hp/psi. within an acceptable difference of 1-2hp, which is as close as you can get for being on different dyno's on different days, with different cars.

regarldess of what kit you have enjoy it plz gentleman

i shall choose a different route, as I always do, but will be joining the S/C club soon enough... and thats when the REAL bickering will come in
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #255
Beedub
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_digital View Post
so, instead of comparing the real world results, we are going by manufacturers claims?

Boosted-M 23.5hp/psi

Mindless spades-18HP/PSI

ProdigyMB-19.7hp/PSI

AKH-22HP/PSI

so, i think, that given the fact that some are intercooled, some are not, and some are on meth (which showed no increase in power, only a consistance in the delivery of it)

that up to the 7psi dyno'd, each blower is DELIVERING the same hp/psi. within an acceptable difference of 1-2hp, which is as close as you can get for being on different dyno's on different days, with different cars.

i shall choose a different route, as I always do, but will be joining the S/C club soon enough... and thats when the REAL bickering will come in
G-power???
      05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #256
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_digital View Post

Boosted-M 23.5hp/psi

Mindless spades-18HP/PSI

ProdigyMB-19.7hp/PSI

AKH-22HP/PSI

G-power???
I think he will be going with gintani but I could wrong.

Good info there Lm.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #257
DublinM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3 View Post
While I don't doubt that the blower can push that much CFM, it is going to do so at the top end of it's range. Way outside its efficiency range that even the manufacturer has rated at 500ps.

The ratio you use assumes that blowers are as efficient at the top end as they are on the low end (i.e. Dividing CFM by 1.5). However, As the CFM continues to go up, so does the RPM of the blower. As the RPM goes up so does the temperature. As the blower temperature goes up, so do the intake temps. As intake temps go up, the power gains will start to go down in respect to the additional CFM because you are beyond the blowers capacity.

Having a blower slightly bigger than you need is obviously better than trying to overwork a small blower rated 125hp lower than your target goal as it will operate in the middle of it's peak efficiency range AND not run out of power at high engine rpm's. Not to mention the unit itself is not spinning at it's absolute max speed and would undoubtedly have better longevity.
You sir are correct.

Just because you can does not mean you should. there is a reason the manufacturer will rate the power of the blowers they design and sell. They are telling you what the limits of the blower are and the range at which it should be operated. When you push beyond these limits you will get loss of top end power, shortend blower life and leave yourself with no room to upgrade.

As far as the water / air cooling debate I would agree that water cooling is always superior unless you are on a budget and want to keep costs down. Almost all new high HP BMW and Mercedes designs are now using water cooling.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #258
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby digital aka Lost Marine
No, you quoted all independent dynos. But your calculations are all wrong and makes us all wonder where you got them or what agenda is behind them.

Quote:
Boosted-M 23.5hp/psi
Baseline: 381whp
Boosted: 532whp
Gain: 151whp
Boost: 6.5 PSI
whp per psi: 151/6.5 = 23.23
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=323

Quote:
Mindless spades-18HP/PSI
Baseline: 353whp
Boosted: 472whp
Gain: 119whp
Boost: 5.6 PSI
whp per psi: 119 / 5.6 = 21.25
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=332

Quote:
ProdigyMB-19.7hp/PSI
Baseline: 331whp
Boosted: 471whp
Gain: 140whp
Boost: 6.5 PSI
whp per psi: 140 / 6.5 = 21.54
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=184

Quote:
AKH-22HP/PSI
Baseline: 360whp
Boosted: 499whp
Gain: 139whp
Boost: 7.5 PSI
whp per psi: 139 / 7.5 = 18.53
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=316

Quote:
Uh...apparently not. I quoted directly from and linked directly to their dyno charts. Your results look more like what somebody on BB would make up.

Quote:
This is CONSISTENT power delivery with meth:

This is NOT CONSISTENT power delivery with meth:

Quote:
According to the real numbers, and not the made up ones, they aren't even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456
Good info there Lm.
Yeah, too bad it's completely wrong. But now you have the real data. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #259
akh23456
United_States
Rep

Garage List
too bad my boost never hit 7.5 yet so you should use my 6.8 boost gauge log file and calculate it. its actually 6.7

Last edited by akh23456; 05-26-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #260
akh23456
United_States
Rep

Garage List
20.8955224 to be exact. with your numbers. and its not 139 its 140 but if you want to do glory numbers then 150 and 6.8 equals 22.0588235

Last edited by akh23456; 05-26-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #261
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
too bad my boost never hit 7.5 yet so you should use my 6.8 boost gauge log file and calculate it. its actually 6.7
Akask, you gotta figure out a way to diagnose ur car for not hitting the 7.5 psi. cause i assure you that your car will perform better @ the right psi.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #262
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
20.8955224 to be exact. with your numbers. and its not 139 its 140 but if you want to do glory numbers then 150 and 6.8 equals 22.0588235
Thats based on whats ur kit is advertised for 7.5 PSI but i will fix it based on the 6.8 PSI
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #263
akh23456
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Akask, you gotta figure out a way to diagnose ur car for not hitting the 7.5 psi. cause i assure you that your car will perform better @ the right psi.
i will look into it Img when i head back to the dyno next time at Maximum psi. to make sure nothing came loose while i have been driving. thanks for the fix.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #264
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Akash,on *********** you said that your boost hit 8 Psi on the Dyno and Dr. *********** called it 7.5 Psi and you agreed with him.your 6.7 Psi came from your drag strip results not the Dyno.

So lets see:

You could have short shifted at the drag strip and never seen 8 Psi or you could have forgotten to calibrate the boost guage before using it at either location and thats what probably happened.

Verified boost from the Dyno is 7.7 Psi,from AA dyno 7.7 Psi and 7.9 Psi .
and since you are running the same kit 7.5 Psi that you were given is a gift

IS ANY OF THE ABOVE INCORRECT ???
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread