BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

01-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Arrow KW Sleeve Kit on the track?

Hello!

I was wondering how well does the KW Sleeve Kit perform on the track in comparison to stock (ZCP).

I am thinking about getting it soon, and wondering if I wanted to track my car 2-4 times a year, would it be good? Of course I understand that coilovers are better, but not trying to spend that kind of money just yet unless the track bug bites me.

Any input of the KW Sleeve Kit on the track is helpful

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Can't be that much different than a set of springs, actually it probably handles better on stock springs.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

I have them and have done a few days with the zcp and a few with the sleeve kit springs.
The car is lower and stiffer so I like the way it feels. Transitions are not as sloppy either but be careful with your ride height. Too low and the car will bottom out on the bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I don't have any experience with the ZCP suspension and I am a track noob but my car felt really good to me on the KW sleeve kit. Sure, it could probably be better but it behaved very well,.
      01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
Check out the TCK SA review above, they even offer sleeve kits for EDC if you like and are in CA as well. The owner had EDC with stock and Dinan springs.

FWIW....most likely the track bug will bite you.

The sleeve kits are good, but I would go straight to coilovers if I were you and skip the preliminary step of sleeves. If EDC cancellation is concern, find a shop with an Autologic and they can delete EDC safely from the system without any expensive modules.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive View Post
Check out the TCK SA review above, they even offer sleeve kits for EDC if you like and are in CA as well. The owner had EDC with stock and Dinan springs.

FWIW....most likely the track bug will bite you.

The sleeve kits are good, but I would go straight to coilovers if I were you and skip the preliminary step of sleeves. If EDC cancellation is concern, find a shop with an Autologic and they can delete EDC safely from the system without any expensive modules.
Agreed ^^
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

to me sleeve kits are the same as a set of springs nothing different, they just cost more. plus how many times do you play with the ride high? your going to set it and most likely never touch it again. save yourself some money and buy RS sports with e36 bump if you looking for stance or go straight to coilovers if you want them for track reasons.
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
to me sleeve kits are the same as a set of springs nothing different, they just cost more. plus how many times do you play with the ride high? your going to set it and most likely never touch it again. save yourself some money and buy RS sports with e36 bump if you looking for stance or go straight to coilovers if you want them for track reasons.
I raise up the front a 1/2" for the track. It's nice to have the ability to do so.

I will echo what was said above though. I can see myself eventually replacing the kit with a full set of coilovers for the track.
      01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I had the KW Sleeve Kit, and did 30 track days last season on them. The car performed very well, completely composed and consistent in performance. The benefit of a sleeve kit is you can corner balance the car and set-up the height to avoid the car raking forward. If you notice, static springs like EIBACHs or H&Rs rake the car forward to compensate for the front fender gap. Yes, the front springs have a different rate, but the momentum and weight of the car is shifted slightly forward. Lastly, for those living in four seasons, I raised my car during the winter months to deal with snow etc. There are definitive differences between spring only mod vs. a sleeve kit.

I recommend you get the Ground Control Sleeve Kit if you can, it comes with camber plates and a sway bar. I got KWs because I didn't want those extra things in the beginning (boy was I wrong .

I can't comment on the comparison with ZCP since I modded my '08 with the sleeve kit. If you already have ZCP, you might want to see how that works out for you before tampering with what is a suspension designed for track use.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #10
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Again, great kit! Just make sure you do the little trick to get more negative camber up front. Making suspension too stiff makes the car bouncy and you don't want that. I'm driving a lot of Nuerburgring and you just don't need too stiff suspension.
If you find getting a bit too much bodyroll up front just get a stiffer stabilizer bar up front.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I had the KW Sleeve kit on the track. It is ok.. I wanted to set my ride height higher than the springs out at the time to maintain shock travel. Eibach ProKit had a higher height too but it is too soft as many have said.

The problem with any spring kit is that you lose shock travel when you go lower and the stock shock can not keep up with the increased spring rate of the aftermarket springs. You end up with an underdamped ride and bounciness over sharp bumps. The worst is the floating sensation as you corner, you need to let the car settle in the corner before you feel confident and planted. Also, ANY lowering spring on the stock shock accelerates wear on the shock and reduces the life of the shock.

But, Swift has recently released their Swift Spec R springs. They don't lower the car that much so it maintains shock travel, it is a linear spring to reduce the floating sensation and Swift quality is top notch for springs. This might be a good choice for people wanting performance springs. Maybe even better than Dinan!

That said, I sold my KW sleeves for KW coilovers. Very satisfied with them. Removes the suspension's weakness which is the stock shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Everyone has some really good points...

Love all the feedback guys

The straight to coils idea has caught my attention though
Appreciate 0