BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Thumbs up -----> Reviews 6MT and the DCT <--------

Please only post if you have driven both trannys on the new M3

Please do not post or highjack this thread with trash. This is for members that have driven both and thier 2 cents and opinions. So if you havent driven both gear boxes please keep your comments to yourselfs and keep this clean

I am comming from a diffrent platform a 350Z Twin turbo with 700rwhp. I just want to get into something a little classy, and I am done with the "I am the fastest on the forum" thing. I had a sequentail shifter installed in my Z, and love it. So I am in the process of ordeing a 09 M3, but I am still back and forth with 6MT and DCT. I will track the car about twice a year as I used the Z for that. So my question once agian is for all you drivers that have driven both the 6MT and the DCT. I would like your input on both so I can take into consideration and make my final choice.

I also did a search and all I found was highjacked thread so I am starting this one for the grown ups.

Thanks
Luie
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

From my drive over this last weekend - fresh impressions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post

Here’s the thing: I wanted the M-DCT to begin with. Now I’m less certain. It’s brilliantly efficient. It shifts faster than I can. It’s amazing that you can – like some Greek god – twiddle your 'tips and MAKE STUFF HAPPEN.

But I feel remote and uninvolved. It’s not engaging w/ me like the manual did. When I arrived back at the appropriately named “Jekel” St to access the dealer’s park the CA asks me about my impressions. He tells me it takes 7-10 days to get familiar w/ the dual-clutch tranny and that, w/ his dicky knees, there is no option.

Irony is that I phucked up my knee 2 mths ago but I’m going to rehab it; and it gets sore anyway when I drive a Steptronic. I don’t care. At this stage I’m leaning towards the 6MT to my total surprise.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
M-DCT is the best of both worlds, once you have it you will never second guess your choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
      09-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
Fair enough!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

Quote:
Fair enough!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
From my drive over this last weekend - fresh impressions:
+1 I did the same thing. I test drove E92 M3 with a DCT. I had a thread that stated something like this: I test drove DCT today this is what I think (no writings). Someone commented: What? this is it? Where is your review? I replied: sometimes silent can hold many answers. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
+1 I did the same thing. Someone wrote: What? this is it? Where is your review? I replied: sometimes silent can hold many answers. Enjoy
He referenced (quoted) a response he made in a previous thread below that
      09-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This topic has been discussed in great depth and to great minutiae in a plethora of threads. Use google to search the forum by choosing some key words (and booleans!) and add without quotes, "site:m3post.com". I pretty much use google to search the forum exclusively. Enjoy the reading.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This topic has been discussed in great depth and to great minutiae in a plethora of threads. Use google to search the forum by choosing some key words (and booleans!) and add without quotes, "site:m3post.com". I pretty much use google to search the forum exclusively. Enjoy the reading.

/thread
Sorry but I am deployed in Iraq doing "Gods" work. Some of the web search engines are blocked, and things here are a bit busy (I dont hang out on a base playing x box) so bare with me guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletangogreen View Post
Sorry but I am deployed in Iraq doing "Gods" work. Some of the web search engines are blocked, and things here are a bit busy (I dont hang out on a base playing x box) so bare with me guys.
Although I can appreciate the difficulty of your task, location and conditions. Surely nowhere near 100%, but I have some idea. My strong personal preference and advice would be for you to not posit that your work nor our governments work in Iraq has something to do with religion nor your particular God. Let's keep it about cars here.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

Quote:

/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletangogreen View Post
I'm throwing the BS flag on that one^^^! No government computer blocks google. And you posted on this site so it's not blocked. You are a new member. Don't get all butt hurt. Don't be lazy. Take the advice. Move on.
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
M-DCT is very very good, however I personally prefer the 6MT as I feel more engaged with the car and the whole driving experience, but that's just me. The DCT is absolutely brilliant though but the decision will be down to your own personal preference
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
ZoinksM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 DCT M3

Quote:

/thread
"Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"
      09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
M-DCT is very very good, however I personally prefer the 6MT as I feel more engaged with the car and the whole driving experience, but that's just me. The DCT is absolutely brilliant though but the decision will be down to your own personal preference
Thanks mate for your imput. Once again I kick my self for not driving a DCT before leaving, however with the minor probelms the DCT is having I still think in the long run it will have its advantages, I know there s alot more owner out there that do not frequent this forum or forums that may have more light in this subject, but only time will tell. IMO you can go wrong with either it just comes down to like you said "own personal preference". Once again thanks for sharing your comments on both, it helps when making a decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

/thread
Well said bro!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I finally test drove the DCT today. My impressions was that it was very smooth, especially in D mode. I was initial concerned about all the reports of lag and pedal travel when starting off from a stop. Well, I didn't notice any problems starting from a start. It started off just like any other car I've ever driven.

One thing I did notice, was the lag when in S mode and pulling the paddle shifter. It happened in all S modes from S1-S5. I thought I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I did. The lag was just too much.

My final thought on the DCT was it was nice, but there wasn't the connection with the car that you would get from a stick. Needless to say, I've left the DCT camp and switched over back to the manual side. Now I just gotta call my CA to let him know I'm going to remove the DCT option.
Appreciate 0