BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
DropItLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 gt-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Cross shopping a GT-R and an M3 =

If you can afford a GT-R, and all that comes with it. You can afford two M3s.

Sometime I think about owning a GT-R, then I wake up in the middle of the night with a panic attack about the 20k transmission repair cost. Fuuuuuu!!!!!
Cost of ownership is higher for the GT-R, but no way is the cost of ownership the cost of 2 M3's. I bought a 'used' 2010 for 73k out the door with 2 years left on the warranty which is exactly the same that I paid for a new 2011 e92 m3.

Warning: tranny misconception! If you are under warranty and keep traction control on Nissan will replace it for you. After market repairs are well under that and you can rebuild/bulletproof it for $8,000. Not cheap, but you should look into the costs of replacing a DCT transmission in an M3 and then talk. ($13k+). There are small purchases that you can make to protect the tranny from failure that cost only a few hundred dollars which is awesome insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
DropItLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 gt-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
So youre getting rid of your m3?

I love when magazines call the GT-R soul less. The car has scared me to death many times. Motortrend editors cant get enough of it. They just bought a 2013 for a long term road test. Their 2nd GT-R in ownership.
actually got rid of it in November - I'm lazy and never updated my profile here.

First time I heard the 'soul-less' comment I laughed for a long time. To each their own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #25
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

great review!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Nice review. M3s and GTRs are both great cars.
I am about to buy my third GTR because I love the performance and didn't have so much as a hiccup with my prior two(collectively driven over 30000 miles). I swore I wasn't going to buy the damn thing but I just like the car too much. On top of the fact that the car I pine for, 991 GT3, probably won't be available for two years.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropItLow
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Is it just me or does the gt-r come off as boring? I've driven two, a modded 2010 and the new 2012 and the car never felt "urgent" or alive I guess you could say. Now granted it was not at a track but both times it was balls out 1st through 3rd and the car never made me sense like I was going fast. Obviously I was but like I said, maybe it's just me but I like the sense of speed and feeling you get from other cars that portray that "feeling" of speed more. Still mad respect for the engineering in it though
The real problem with the GT-R is that it doesn't 'feel' fast for some reason...until you're heads up with another car. because you don't really feel the shifts like in other cars its almost a straight acceleration.

balls out from a dig to third will still be 90ish. The one thing I left out of the review was that the speedo is deceptive - 60mph is straight down. Everyone I've let drive the car hits 90 before the realize they are actually speeding. It's really deceptive just how fast you actually are going.

Did you try the passenger seat for a few pulls? It's a total different experience than actually driving and that might be a better gauge.
Yeah, that's a great call and exactly what I'm talking about. No doubt these cars are monsters but like I was saying the just don't "portray" it to me. They go about it such a nonchalant way that you don't get that sense of speed until your next to another car and then you pull away like the other car was in reverse. And i never road in the passenger seat, my buddy just tossed me the keys and said go for it because he wanted to stand outside and see/hear his car as it went past.
Appreciate 0