BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Newbie, legit ?'s re: iPhone and Tachometer (car pics added)

Hello All! I'm new to the board, been lurking a little, but now I've joined! Just picked up an Alpine White with 18's, cloth, and Tech package so I thought it's time.

So to start I have a couple of newbie questions... I have searched and read through several threads but still don't really have my answers, so here goes...

1) I have only the aux in jack (no USB) - what do I need to do to get my iPhone to play music through iDrive and be able to control it via iDrive? Is this possible? Are the iPod retrofit kits compatible with the iPhone with regards to iDrive controlability?

2) On page 61 of the owner's manual, it talks about the oil temp "fields" around the tachometer. It states there that there is a "pre-warning field" and a "red warning field" and that they "change in relation to engine temp, however that doesn't happen for me. What am I missing here? Pic is enclosed.

Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks : --tc.
Attached Images

Last edited by composed; 05-08-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

On question 1, yes there is a retrofit kit available for your iPhone or ipod. Speak with your dealer. There's a few options available. Its possible by now the full "6FL factory USB/ipod interface" is now available as a BMW accessory retrofit.

On question 2, on cold start only you will see the oil temp fields change as the car starts to warm up.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by composed View Post
Hello All! I'm new to the board, been lurking a little, but now I've joined! Just picked up an Alpine White with 18's, cloth, and Tech package so I thought it's time.

So to start I have a couple of newbie questions... I have searched and read through several threads but still don't really have my answers, so here goes...

1) I have only the aux in jack (no USB) - what do I need to do to get my iPhone to play music through iDrive and be able to control it via iDrive? Is this possible? Are the iPod retrofit kits compatible with the iPhone with regards to iDrive controlability?

2) On page 61 of the owner's manual, it talks about the oil temp "fields" around the tachometer. It states there that there is a "pre-warning field" and a "red warning field" and that they "change in relation to engine temp, however that doesn't happen for me. What am I missing here? Pic is enclosed.

Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks : --tc.
You can't control the Ipod from Idrive without the USB port. I have not heard of any retrofits. You may want to check Bavariansoundwerks.com

The redline should be lower when you first start up your engine, the disk that the redline is painted onto, turns counterclockwise to indicate a lower redline.
      05-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Regarding #2, FWIW, in the E46 M3 the "yellow line" did not really come very far down the tach unless it was cold outside. During spring/summer/fall it started closer to the 7500 yellow line reading than in winter. So, maybe it's just a matter of being warm enough to have already settled at it's top end.

Do your yellow and red tach readings start out at the upper end, or do they start out lower and never move? If they start low and don't move up the tach as the engine warms up then I would go see the service dept.
      05-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ahh, that what's it is! I'm in SoCal and in a garage overnight so the temp never gets low enough to cause the "yellow line" to go far enough down to be noticeable. The lines haves stayed at the upper range of the tach.

Also re: my #1 I am checking into this kit from EAS, which supposedly works with the iPhone, but not sure how functionally...

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1651

And then this BMW kit works with the iPhone according to EAS as well...

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=393

Thanks for your great responses - I'll post what I find out about the iPhone kits!! --tc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
You can't control the Ipod from Idrive without the USB port. I have not heard of any retrofits. You may want to check Bavariansoundwerks.com

The redline should be lower when you first start up your engine, the disk that the redline is painted onto, turns counterclockwise to indicate a lower redline.

Skierman, BMW makes a ipod retrofit kit for cars that dont have the USB option. The original kit used the CD changer wiring harness ... meaning that you couldn't have the CD changer and ipod together. You control your ipod and select Playlists, Artists, Albums by selecting CD1, CD2 ... etc. You get full track display on your BMW display.

However since the original kit, BMW are working on providing the full 6FL option as a retrofit. I dont think its available yet however.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Skierman, BMW makes a ipod retrofit kit for cars that dont have the USB option. The original kit used the CD changer wiring harness ... meaning that you couldn't have the CD changer and ipod together. You control your ipod and select Playlists, Artists, Albums by selecting CD1, CD2 ... etc. You get full track display on your BMW display.

However since the original kit, BMW are working on providing the full 6FL option as a retrofit. I dont think its available yet however.
Yep, that's the second one I posted above. On that weblink there is a video from BMW of how it works.

I just asked EAS what the $300 difference in price gets you between those kits and there's not a whole lot of difference (update ability and some speed mainly).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

....Seems as though your questions have been answered, so...

...post pics of your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....Seems as though your questions have been answered, so...

...post pics of your car.
Here you go - a few after I got the suspension and wheels! I've got the H&R sport springs (lowered by 1" F and .6" R) and those are the evosport RG8 19" wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

and here's a few from Bimmerfest of my car... showing Vorsteiner rear carbon diffusor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Bimmerfest? I see no Bimmerfest pics.

Anyway, that car's hawt. Do you have EDC? If so, how does the ride compare with the new springs?
      05-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Bimmerfest? I see no Bimmerfest pics.

Anyway, that car's hawt. Do you have EDC? If so, how does the ride compare with the new springs?
Thanks, pics now attached above!

I do have EDC and so far everything is great. The Comfort mode is a little too "springy" for my taste, but Normal is good and I love Sport mode. I've driven it (with the new springs) with both the OEM 18's and these 19's, and the ride is smoother on the 18's for sure, but damn the 19's look so much better!!

and yes I know I need painted reflectors!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Your car looks great bro, and props on the Speed Cloth. Thanks for the pics! The drop is perfect as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Your car looks great bro, and props on the Speed Cloth. Thanks for the pics! The drop is perfect as well.
Thanks Sedan! BTW I'm loving the Speed Cloth, I wasn't sure at first but I like it and it keeps you planted in the seat during "spirited" cornering.
Appreciate 0