BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

01-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Exclamation Someone tried to scam me on Craigslist - trust your gut!

The very beginning of the story: I put my exhaust on sale on Craigslist.

Next day I got a text from 3053400373: "Hello good p.m, is your Exhaust MPE with carbon fiber tips still avail please kindly reply back to gabriellewis009@gmail.com asap thanks."

I replied back to the email address:"Yes, it's available."

He replied back:"Thanks for getting back to me, am at work and calls are not allowed thats why i am contacting u via email, whats the recent condition and also why u selling it, are u the original owner,how recent are the pics of the ad? I am OK with your skin price and if you don't mind, I can only pay through PayPal at the moment due to my work and pickup agent is avail to come and pick it up after payment made, all I need is the email u use in setting it up and ur name so that I can make the payment and u will be notify by PayPal as soon as am done.arrangement for the picking follows as PayPal will update u on that after transaction completed" ---suspicion:1, there is no reason he can't use his phone just to text back and forth for the least. 2, poor grammar

My "nice guy" side wanted to give him a chance, so I bought his reasoning. I told him the information regarding the MPE exhaust. Then he said:"Am very sorry for not making the payment today, I was busy with work thats why, I promise to make the payment first thing tomorrow morning. Hope this is okay by you?" ---suspicion: way too polite, it felt abnormal.

I asked him: "Do you know where we can do exhaust swap? know any exhaust installer?"

GL(Gabriel Lewis):"Yes" ,"I have made the payment and PayPal should have sent you notifications so please check your PayPal email inbox or spam folder for confirmation emails from PayPal. I need you to do me a favor as I added an extra fee of $700.00 USD to the total payment. I need you to help send this fee to the agent coming for pick up and it needs to be sent via Western Union as that's the only way he can get the money. I am sorry to put this on you but I only got the urgent message from the pick up agent as I was about making the payment saying that he will need the funds before he can come for pick up. I would have sent the money to him myself but I don't have the chance to send it to him via Western Union. Please help to send the fee to the agent as soon as you get the payment confirmation and get back to me if there's anything you need to know. The agent's info is below.
Name: Destiny Nicole Foloowell
City: Golden gates
State: Florida
zip code: 34116
Since payment has been made, I think this deal is sealed and copy of the receipt below (FAKE PayPal RECEIPT). Hope to read from you soon. " ---suspicion:1, always have excuses for not using other kinds of payments except for Western Union. 2, ask for a favor from the seller. 3, too polite (acting like a woman even with a male name, probably an indication of fake identity). 4, PayPal's important transaction emails will NEVER EVER go to your spam folder.

Again (my kind personality tricked me again), even with my strong feelings of suspicion towards him, I tried to help this (fake) fellow BMW M fan so I went to a local grocery store and picked up WU transfer form. Then what I saw 200% confirmed that he is a scammer!
WU transfer form clearly states: PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FRAUD, Only send money to someone you have met in person. DO NOT send money to an individual if you are sending: To someone you met online, For an internet Purchase, ...

Then I threw away the WU transfer form and told him:"Sorry I'm not sending the money using Western Union. There is a lot of scams related to Western Union. I have already tried to help you. Please understand my decision." ---I was being polite and kind, and was trying to believe that he was a genuine buyer. However, what this scumbag replied to me made me mad.
GL:"What do you mean? the agent you are sending the money to will come for the pick up after you might have send the money to him and you will meet him in person. ... The agent insist on western union because it is the only way he can get the money in time. The agent is not a scammer cos PayPal have his I.D. with them so PayPal we get him if he try anything stupid." ---suspicion: 1, keep insisting on using Western Union. 2, not understanding and being a selfish punk.

Me:"I'm blocking your contact information for the suspicion of scam if you don't reply with genuine reasons or not saying anything. And might report you to police"

GL:"What do you mean you are blocking my contact? and don't dare call me a scammer." --- at this point, I wanted to say really nasty words to this scumbag but I controlled my temper.
GL:"I want you to believe me that this transaction is secure and nobody will get hurt." --- I wish this punk try anything in person. Shameless liar.

Me:"No"

GL:"I need to report you to PayPal and authorities and FBI right now" --- See? scumbags like this would accuse innocents without shame.

ME:"LOL, fuck off." ---

-The END-

CONCLUSION:
I posted this thread just to share my experience so that other members might learn something from it.

Always follow your heart and instincts and be able to say NO or FUCKOFF to scumbags and unjust behaviors.

Edit: I added useful pictures below.

Fake PayPal transaction/receipt below:

Phony email below:

From Craigslist:
[Avoiding Scams

Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.]

Last edited by nathanm4; 01-30-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321103.00
      01-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
M3Fanatics
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB F80 M3 '15 BSM F15 X5

Thanks for sharing, this is definitely becoming a problem now, I get at least a couple of scam emails/ messages a month
Appreciate 1
nathanm4678.50
      01-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Anyone who asks you to get extra money and wire to them is 100% scam.
Appreciate 4
      01-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
LOL.... yup, this is basically textbook internet fraud. At least you picked up on it early and didn't get taken. Sadly, lots of people aren't as lucky.

Craigslist is a cesspool for this crap.

I wish I could catch every one of these a$$hats. I just lob them over to the USSS and let them handle it....i.e. file it in the long list of either bogus/fraudulent checks. I'd love to introduce these effers to the business end of a 1911/.45ACP

Speaking of bogus checks....if you ever receive one from one of these jerks or you aren't 100% certain that it's legit, don't just contact the bank, contact the name on the check -- it's usually a real person/company, but will be a duplicate (copy) of the original check. Most companies use a process called "Positive Pay" which is integrated into their AP process where check numbers and amounts are sync'd with the bank so when a check clears if those things don't match, the check is returned (i.e. NSF). Calling the bank to verify funds or account number won't give you the whole picture. If it's a personal check, this doesn't apply. But it's a good check to reach out to the name just to make sure all is legit.

Cheers,
nathanm4678.50
dubsesd6312.00
      01-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Ah yes, wonderful internet scams.

You always remember your first one.
nathanm4678.50
      01-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Bounty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C6 Corvette 3LZ

No one speaks like that. Having grown up in Miami myself, I can tell you this would not have gotten past the first email...definitely not the second.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4678.50
      01-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty View Post
No one speaks like that. Having grown up in Miami myself, I can tell you this would not have gotten past the first email...definitely not the second.
I feel ya.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
The fact that you made it all the way to your grocery store and picked up a western union form means you ALMOST bit the hook lol. I'm glad you woke up and realized it was a scam afterwards
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
The fact that you made it all the way to your grocery store and picked up a western union form means you ALMOST bit the hook lol. I'm glad you woke up and realized it was a scam afterwards
Uhh... Those scumbags feed on a person's kindness.

face palm, haha
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
blake9220
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT Matte Indigo Blue

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.00]
I had a similar attempted scam when selling a laptop on CL not too long ago. Although, I knew it was a scam right from the start. Something about "Can you send the laptop to Africa because it's for my cousin's surprise birthday gift?" and "My cousin is sad he won't get the laptop now that he's been looking forward to" just didn't vibe.

Appreciate 1
nathanm4678.50
      01-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake9220 View Post
I had a similar attempted scam when selling a laptop on CL not too long ago. Although, I knew it was a scam right from the start. Something about "Can you send the laptop to Africa because it's for my cousin's surprise birthday gift?" and "My cousin is sad he won't get the laptop now that he's been looking forward to" just didn't vibe.
Well.. we should make it real simple next time: only money and item, no stories please.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #12
blake9220
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT Matte Indigo Blue

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Well.. we should make it real simple next time: only money and item, no stories please.
lol! My CL policy is trading cash in hand for the item, in person. No shipping, no online payment, no problems!

Appreciate 2
jgoens3787.50
      01-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Honestly I'm shocked this went past the exchange.
      01-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

I wouldn't actually say he/she was "busted"...although I wish he/she was.

This is so blatantly obvious from the very beginning when he goes out of his way to say he is ok with your (skin? wtf?) price and then says his "agent" needs to pick this up.

More often than not these people are a part of a larger group of people overseas who sit at their computer for 15+ hours a day trying to rip people off and they literally get commission for each rip. Wish people had more common sense to make these idiots go away as they wouldn't waste their time if no one fell for it, which sadly, many do.

On a side note, I'll give you the $700 for your MPE that you were about to pay to sell it ($1,400 swing in your favor)
Appreciate 3
nathanm4678.50
sirdaft12193.50
      01-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #15
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Honestly I'm shocked this went past the exchange.
I was too naive.

Now this incident makes me laugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
I wouldn't actually say he/she was "busted"...although I wish he/she was.

This is so blatantly obvious from the very beginning when he goes out of his way to say he is ok with your (skin? wtf?) price and then says his "agent" needs to pick this up.

More often than not these people are a part of a larger group of people overseas who sit at their computer for 15+ hours a day trying to rip people off and they literally get commission for each rip. Wish people had more common sense to make these idiots go away as they wouldn't waste their time if no one fell for it, which sadly, many do.

On a side note, I'll give you the $700 for your MPE that your were about to pay to sell it

hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #17
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
You were way too patient.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4678.50
      01-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
You were way too patient.
I should try this next time: with my buddies.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #20
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Had a similar experience while trying to sell a mattress on Craigslist. Buyer was in DE and I was in MI. Wanted to pay me via PayPal plus shipping which I would pay in cash to his driver. He texted me in broken English and then called me! I said no I'm not comfortable with the exchange ... long story short I hung up the phone and then blocked him.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4678.50
      01-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #21
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake9220 View Post
lol! My CL policy is trading cash in hand for the item, in person. No shipping, no online payment, no problems!
This. After stating local pickup and cash only, if someone still mentions paypal or other online payment methods, I immediately stop replying to their texts. Also, real buyers are not usually willing to pay the asking price. All these scammers start their email/text by saying they are ok with the price no matter how much you are asking for.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4678.50
      01-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i knew it was scam when i read "pickup agent" lol.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread