BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
M-DCT Questions

1. It is a 7 speed box right? (dealer insisted its a 6spd box ... made me wonder)
2. Having the M-DCT option and using launch control, with the DSC off, wont the car launch perfectly every time without the need of any m-drive/dtc type of traction setting etc ?
3. Was not a 6spd manual version of the E60 M5 much slower than its 7 speed SMG III counterpart?
4. Is the 6spd manual box on the E9x M3 not from the E46 M3?

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

some sales people (many) have no clue but like to act like they do.

I really would like to punch these type of sales people who just are too lazy to look into what they are supposed to know about. It's their job to brush-up on the cars they are selling. But bottom line it's a 7-speed.

I would suspect the DCT to be slightly quicker but don't expect the DCT to change the M3 to something quick like a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
1. It is a 7 speed box right? (dealer insisted its a 6spd box ... made me wonder)
It amazes me a BMW sales person not knowing what he's selling

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ivelogic1.html
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
some sales people (many) have no clue but like to act like they do.

I really would like to punch these type of sales people who just are too lazy to look into what they are supposed to know about. It's their job to brush-up on the cars they are selling. But bottom line it's a 7-speed.

I would suspect the DCT to be slightly quicker but don't expect the DCT to change the M3 to something quick like a GTR.
True however it will shift faster than the GTR will.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
It's a 7 speed.

Quote:
2. Having the M-DCT option and using launch control, with the DSC off, wont the car launch perfectly every time without the need of any m-drive/dtc type of traction setting etc ?
With the new DCT you can adjust the launch rpm within a specific range on the cruise control lever. This way you're able to accomodate to different conditions.
Quote:
3. Was not a 6spd manual version of the E60 M5 much slower than its 7 speed SMG III counterpart?
Yes, it was.
Quote:
No, different suppliers. The E46 M3's box is made by Getrag, the E9x M3's by ZF.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
With the new DCT you can adjust the launch rpm within a specific range on the cruise control lever. This way you're able to accomodate to different conditions.
Oooh... didn't know that. You mean the driver can control the launch control via different launch rpm? I thought it's optimised by the car's computer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
Oooh... didn't know that. You mean the driver can control the launch control via different launch rpm? I thought it's optimised by the car's computer.
"Pressing down the brake pedal lightly with his left foot, in turn, the driver can prevent
the car from rolling forward, and by briefly tipping the cruise control lever he is able
to finely adjust the desired starter speed.

Then, after letting go the selector lever, the BMW M3 accelerates with optimum performance
and with slip on the rear wheels controlled by the clutch – if the driver wishes, all the way
to top speed.
"

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
True however it will shift faster than the GTR will.
I doubt it will actually shift between the gears any quicker, regardless of what BMW quote. All these systems shift gear in roughly the same time, the only difference is some manufacturers chose to quote a maximum possible shift time instead of a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
thanks south ....

Quote:

Yes, it was.
... and thats why i want the DCT box, even though im a manual fan boy ... just feel the 7 speed is more well mated to the V8 than the 6 spd would be ... and i feel that if the 6spd vs smg III in the M5 is anything to go by ... why settle for anything less than dct ... (flame suite on ... look just my personal feel) ...

Quote:
Quote:

No, different suppliers. The E46 M3's box is made by Getrag, the E9x M3's by ZF.
even though different suppliers, are the gear box's in the e9x and E46 M3 not mechanically identical?

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
even though different suppliers, are the gear box's in the e9x and E46 M3 not mechanically identical?
No, I believe you are thinking of the 335i, not the E46 M3. I.e. the gear box (and thus the gear ratios) for the E9X M3 and E9X 335i are identical.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
thanks south ....

... and thats why i want the DCT box, even though im a manual fan boy ... just feel the 7 speed is more well mated to the V8 than the 6 spd would be ... and i feel that if the 6spd vs smg III in the M5 is anything to go by ... why settle for anything less than dct ... (flame suite on ... look just my personal feel) ...

One of the reasons that the 6 speed in the M5 was slower than SMGIII was because you could not disable DSC, which inhibited the M5's ability to launch properly. BMW has since changed that and now allows the driver the ability to disable DSC.

With that said SMG was faster than the 6 speed, but not as dramatic as first thought. Obviously, SMG/M-DCT will have a distinct advantage during in-gear accelerations.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No, I believe you are thinking of the 335i, not the E46 M3. I.e. the gear box (and thus the gear ratios) for the E9X M3 and E9X 335i are identical.
damn!!!! i did not know that ... always thought the 6spd box for the E46 M3 was the same as the E9x M3 ... thanks for that info ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
One of the reasons that the 6 speed in the M5 was slower than SMGIII was because you could not disable DSC, which inhibited the M5's ability to launch properly. BMW has since changed that and now allows the driver the ability to disable DSC.

With that said SMG was faster than the 6 speed, but not as dramatic as first thought. Obviously, SMG/M-DCT will have a distinct advantage during in-gear accelerations.
is there any url you can link me to, to see these reviews?

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0