BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question ► IT Pros: Networking Question

setup:
macbook pro acts like a server directly connected to apple airport extreme router with another apple airport extreme some distance away as a range extender.

problem:
when hooking up an ipad to the network, can i control which router it is connecting to? the ipad can be next to the router connected to macbook, yet it will connect to the other airport extreme setup as an extender across the room.
      02-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
the1isntugly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
setup:
macbook pro acts like a server directly connected to apple airport extreme router with another apple airport extreme some distance away as a range extender.

problem:
when hooking up an ipad to the network, can i control which router it is connecting to? the ipad can be next to the router connected to macbook, yet it will connect to the other airport extreme setup as an extender across the room.
Can you do MAC address filtering on the extender? Perhaps block that MAC address from connecting to that extender so it only connects to the main router?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

I'm assuming you have it setup as 2 different networks (1 with the main router and 1 with the range extender).

If you've setup your iPad for each network (i.e. entered password and connected for both networks), then the iPad will automatically connect to the best signal available.
If you just want to connect to a single network (router), forget the other network by doing the following: Settings--->Wifi--->"Network you want to forget"--->Forget Network.

iPad will now not connect to that network unless you reconnect.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

the main apple router and the extender have the same name.

lets say i turned on 5 ipads, when i look on apple utility i can see the ipads are randomly connecting to either the main or extender not taking consideration the best signal.

is there no way i can specify which router i want the ipad to connect to?

keep in mind i can not setup the 2 routers as the macbook pro is acting as a server sending information.
      02-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

First question is why do you care which device the iPad connects to?

Second, we just had this discussion in the geek er computer/gaming subforum. I despise the use of extenders/repeaters. And no, with the use of an extender, you have absolutely no control over which one a wireless client will associate. A system which has APs operating as one logical system is the only way to have control over which APs wireless clients associate to. The best systems for this are made by companies such as Aerohive, Ubiquiti, Aruba Networks, Meraki, etc. An acceptable solution are the crop of systems from Google and Eero. These systems use wireless mesh to form up the connectivity between APs with one of the APs connected into a wired connection. I don't like most implementations of wireless mesh which I've stated in those other threads in the computer/gaming subforum. But what I like about these wireless mesh systems is that all APs operate together with intelligence. You don't get this at all with extenders/repeaters nor if you stand up another independent AP or wireless router configured to broadcast the same SSID.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Playing around with the router settings would probably be your best bet. Maybe blocking the Mac address of the device in question.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Assume one extreme is functioning as a router and the other is merely an access point configured to extend the network (SSID) created on the main extreme. In theory any device should connect to the base station where it gets the best signal. In an extended scenario, there is no way to 'force' a device to connect to a peace access point.

Is this only happening with your iPad?
Appreciate 0