BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

02-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Might be moving to Brisbane

Hey guys

I might be moving to Brisbane, Queensland within a year or so.
I lived in Sydney for a bit (about 6 months) when I was 12 years old, and I still have great memories from Australia.

Now, I want to have some information on cost of living, etc.

Most important thing for me is obviously a car.
I did some research and German (or most imports) cars seem to be very very very very very very very very very over-priced.
You can buy a NEW M3 in Canada for about $90k and the car will be pretty loaded.
It seems that USED M3's in Australia easily go over $120k-$130k?

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. I'm here to learn!

And also USED GT-R's go for about the same price, if not ~$10k cheaper.

So please let me know how much NEW M3's go for,
and I also want to know pricing on condos in downtown (or slightly outside downtown) Brisbane.

I prefer living in a clean high rise than a house, and I prefer urban living over suburbs.
I'm probably looking for one-bedroom condo!

Thanks guys,

Pat
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
Yes - imported cars are crazy in Australia, first there is import duty (suposed to protect local manufacturing) and then there is the taxes. On my new E92 M3 purchased in NSW I paid $36,000 in taxes!

New M3's will be from $155k-$190k depending on options and Sedan/Coupe/Conv.

As for real-estate we have some very good websites for this, try http://www.domain.com.au as a start. Be warned if you are planning on renting the market is very hot right now and waiting lists for properties can be long - especially in the inner cities.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie335iM View Post
Yes - imported cars are crazy in Australia, first there is import duty (suposed to protect local manufacturing) and then there is the taxes. On my new E92 M3 purchased in NSW I paid $36,000 in taxes!

New M3's will be from $155k-$190k depending on options and Sedan/Coupe/Conv.

As for real-estate we have some very good websites for this, try http://www.domain.com.au as a start. Be warned if you are planning on renting the market is very hot right now and waiting lists for properties can be long - especially in the inner cities.

Thank you for your reply.
Your post was very helpful - I guess I will go for a GT-R if I end up moving.

And the website was great, thanks again.
By the way, what city would you recommend me to move to, among Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane?

I personally think all those cities are great. I love Sydney, but I heard real estate was crazy expensive. I'm in my early 20's and cannot afford a million dollar condo.

Let me know guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Montreal View Post
Thank you for your reply.
Your post was very helpful - I guess I will go for a GT-R if I end up moving.

And the website was great, thanks again.
By the way, what city would you recommend me to move to, among Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane?

I personally think all those cities are great. I love Sydney, but I heard real estate was crazy expensive. I'm in my early 20's and cannot afford a million dollar condo.

Let me know guys!
Brisbane or Melbourne is going to be cheaper than Sydney. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Melbourne is a great city, restaurants and sport is fantastic but the weather can be crap. Brisbane is smaller and therefore has less traffic and isn't as grey as melbourne, can't beat the weather all year round. If you are thinking brisbane you could also check the Gold Coast out as well. Plenty of cheap apartments for sale there at the moment.

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
1988 E30 320i track car with 2.7L stroker engine and all the trimmings.
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygilbo View Post
Brisbane or Melbourne is going to be cheaper than Sydney. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Melbourne is a great city, restaurants and sport is fantastic but the weather can be crap. Brisbane is smaller and therefore has less traffic and isn't as grey as melbourne, can't beat the weather all year round. If you are thinking brisbane you could also check the Gold Coast out as well. Plenty of cheap apartments for sale there at the moment.
Anthony's right. The Gold Coast is great, just look on Google Earth.

Sorry but I just can't help this.... it's gotta be good for a laugh... on a recent trip to Melbourne
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

For car prices, check out www.carsales.com.au
For car insurance, check out www.nrma.com.au

For rental places, check out www.realestate.com.au

I'm a bit biased towards Sydney because I live here and there are many great aspects of it, however it is more expensive than the other two as previously mentioned.

What's your budget for rent? $250 on rent and a $100k car :P?
If you want a nice one bedder in Sydney close to the CBD (CBD = Downtown) I reckon you're looking at $400-500 a week in rent...
Appreciate 0