BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

Provide best exhaust setup in this order: 1.Minimum Drone 2.Power 3.Sound 4.Price

Hey fellas,

While I don’t have the car in possession yet, it doesn’t hurt to start inquiring now. Some time in the next 6-12 months, I’ll be looking for an x pipe, exhaust and tune. With so many combinations, it’s no surprise there are countless threads and videos on this topic. Everyone has their own preference, so I thought I would chime in with what info I have gathered and some general questions. ANY input is always appreciated.

Here is my order of preference in an exhaust set up:

1. Minimum drone/interior noise. My Grand National days are long behind me. Now that I’m 39 and using this car as a DD, I need to hear myself think. I understand that when going with whatever combo outside of OEM, you will get a louder db in the cabin. I accept that, but I’m willing to sacrifice a couple of ponies and an amplified exhaust note to hear the radio without turning it up more than half way (With the windows up). By the way. When I stomp on it, interior noise is not a factor. I’m talking about normal city and highway cruising.

2. Power. If I’m shelling out $5,000 - $6,000+ on this combo, I better feel it! It’s frustrating knowing you can spend $600 for a tune on a 335i and get more horsepower and torque than spending 8-10 times more on an M3 exhaust AND tune combo. Not starting a flame war. Already had a 335i and well aware that the M is not about light to light. My point is, for a naturally aspirated motor, any gain in horsepower/torque is precious. It’s imperative that I can maximize my gains with the best combo (and still hear myself think).

3. Exhaust note. I’ve watched and heard the videos, and I am impressed with many combos. I prefer a more exotic sound as opposed to a throaty V8 muscle car sound. My main concern, however, is an exhaust with minimal or no raspiness.

4. Price. As I mentioned earlier. $5,000 - $6,000+ seems like your typical range out there for an x pipe, exhaust and tune. I will spend in the higher range if I can get the best combo.

Questions:

So with this order of preference, what do you think is the best combo?

Here are some that I think would be considered. If I missed something, let me know.

Dinan mid pipe with the following exhausts:

Dinan OR
Eisenmann Sport OR
Active Autowerke

Also considering the Akrapovic Evolution system

Are there other mid pipes (other than Dinan) that would offer stellar performance when combined with Akrapovic, Dinan, Eisenmann Sport or Active Autowerke? Whatever it is, how much more drone/cabin noise is there compared to a Dinan mid pipe?

I noticed some threads where members want to retain at least one set of cats as opposed to resonators. Why? CEL issue? Perhaps not a concern if getting a tune? The Dinan mid pipe has 4 resonators and no cats while the Akrapovic has 2 resonators and 2 cats. So can I assume that the Dinan (everything else being equal) will put out a greater power increase AND lower interior cabin noise since the resonators are made to decrease sound?

Speaking of Akrapovic Evolution vs. Dinan full set up. Can anyone tell me if they heard both in person? What is the difference in drone/interior noise? If not much, I would lean toward Akrapovic. Love the sound and performance gains seem real. What about mixing and matching? Dinan mid pipe with Akrapovic slip on? Is it worth the trouble or just stick with a full Akropovic?

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure questions will arise with your responses. Thank you for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Fabspeed has an X-pipe with cats and resonator that generally doesn't cause a check engine light until it got cold. I think it's a quality 200cpi cat.
Gintani also has a HFC/resonator or 2 to 4 resonator X-pipe available. I believe they use a 300cpi cat.
Just keep in mind that many people get sick of the smell when they go catless and many have also mentioned the exhaust staining the paint or at least leaving residue on the paint. This and the check engine light are why people use the catted X-pipes.
Your main gains are from the X-pipe. Some have said the Akra is not loud enough for them and others say the Gintani race only drones a little, while a few have sold the Gintani Sport because of the drone. The best is to hear them in person and take a ride in the car.
I'd also through in the Bastuck unit with an X-pipe. It shouldn't drone since it doesn't drone at all as an axle back.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Full akrapovic will fit your standards perfectly
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

akra has your name on it.
      04-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Eisenmann Sport will drone. Never heard the Active in person, but it is pretty loud so I assume there might be some drone as well. If you hate drone, like myself, only Akra or Dinan will work for you.
      04-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It seems a few guys are pulling for Akra. I'm curious though. Should I mate the Dinan mid pipe to Akra or go full Akra? Won't the Dinan mid pipe with lack of cats and 4 resonators offer more performance with less drone? Don't care about smell. I park in a building garage with no wife to get pissed at me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Go with a Gintani X-pipe with 4 resonators and stock exhaust.

or spend more on a Akrapovic

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Eisenmann Sport will drone. Never heard the Active in person, but it is pretty loud so I assume there might be some drone as well. If you hate drone, like myself, only Akra or Dinan will work for you.
+1 and the bastuck exhaust doesn't drone too
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I think your idea of the Dinan Catless X pipe with Akra Axle Back is your best bet for performance, sound, no drone, and still pretty good on price.
      04-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Turner Test Pipes (basically a primary cat delete):

1. Minimum Drone - no drone whatsoever, sounds like stock inside the car in daily driving, under WOT the exhaust note has a more aggressive tone with a slight rasp (you mentioned no rasp but rasp is very common for exotic cars).

2. Power - power gains feel very similar to Akrapovic, but without the torque dip @ 2500rpm observed with the Akrapovic

3. Exhaust Note - really close to stock, I like the character of the OEM exhaust note, this approach keeps the character with more aggressive note under WOT

4. Price - won't cost you more than $500US
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

It seems a couple of members are "no shows" in this thread. Burt and Borat called in sick?
      04-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Don't fuck around, just buy the akrapovic evolution.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

why hasn't anyone mentioned Gintani Sport exhaust + X-pipes? seems like a perfect fit for him at a much lower price point.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

i heard the gintani sport was much louder than ppl were expecting...thats just rumored though.
i am quite confident thatt he akra full sys will be quieter than the gintani equivalent, though 1.8k more.
      04-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Perhaps I misled some members while adding price on the list. Price is the least important factor (Of the four). In other words, I'll spend the money for the right combo.

I've heard a couple of Gintani set ups. Great sound but it was LOUD in the cabin. Although I hear the their set up provides the most power.

Leaning toward the Akrapovic. Not sure if I should do the full Evolution or have a Dinan mid pipe.

Any guys from the tri state area with Akrapovic or Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

i would just do the full system if price doesnt concern you, always nice to have a complete system rather than mixing and matching personally.
plus then its all TI, nice weight savings and uniform.
      04-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
i heard the gintani sport was much louder than ppl were expecting...thats just rumored though.
i am quite confident thatt he akra full sys will be quieter than the gintani equivalent, though 1.8k more.
I wouldn't say it's just a rumor when a few Sport systems have been sold because it was too loud. It's only been a handful of units.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

what about magnaflow?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
i would just do the full system if price doesnt concern you, always nice to have a complete system rather than mixing and matching personally.
plus then its all TI, nice weight savings and uniform.
I would prefer to go full system myself. However, if the Dinan mid pipe is quieter and provides better gains, I would go that route. If the difference is barely noticeable for both categories then it makes sense to stick woth one brand. Ironically the Akra mid pipe and Dinan mid pipe are priced the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
Don't fuck around, just buy the akrapovic evolution.
Lol. You made it.

Now where the heck is Burt.
      04-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #21
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i have the Dinan Midpipe and Dinan Muffler. i love my system. it sounds amazing and has no drone at all at any rpm. there are sound clips on here of it. and the power increase was awesome

i have to bring my car to MWW in NJ sometime soon if you want to meet me there and hear it in person. vids do no justice for this set up. it sounds amazing in person and it is only loud when you want it to be. has that nice exotic sound to it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #22
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I just had my full Akra exhaust installed yesterday. I did not want a really loud exhaust but wanted performance gains and wt savings. I was under the assumption that the sound was not much louder than stock. Believe me it is louder than stock! At idle it has a much deeper rumble and you hear it in the cabin. Wonder what my wife will think when she returns from Italy? I have a track day today so will be able to comment more but one thing is for sure it is not going to be too subdued for this 60 year old. Mine came with the deleter module so for now at least no tune.