BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

EXXEL Distributions

12-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
icyunv
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92,G63,CLS550,458,EVO X FE

to pay or escalate (association crap)

kinda venting, and i want to get some opinions/advices from the local community. i'll try to keep it short...

got a notice three months ago from my association attorney, they put a lien on my property because i owe them money. apparently the association raised the dues and i was never informed. i have been paying them on time every month, and they claimed to mailed out notices to me prior. association wants me to pay for late fees, interest, plus legal fees (totaling $13xx) to take the lien off. Tried to work it with the association, offered to pay the differences right away, didn't work, took it to small claims, have proof of every payment made, statement testifying letters/notices were never received, judge dismissed the case because they have no control of association policies, and in Washington Law, mails are assumed to be mailed if they said its mailed. association contacted me again, urged me to resolve this matter prior to escalating to superior court, and now i have to pay $18xx to resolve it.

bottom line, i know its my fault not to check periodically. due to my line of work, i have to travel alot. i thought leaving my parents contact info at the association, and my cousin living at the condo will do fine. the funny thing is, the treasurer of the association lives next to us, and he sees my cousin everyday. i feel like its a lose lose situation for me. i seek for legal support, i have to pay for consultation, possibly more if i decided to escalate.

sigh
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyunv View Post
kinda venting, and i want to get some opinions/advices from the local community. i'll try to keep it short...

got a notice three months ago from my association attorney, they put a lien on my property because i owe them money. apparently the association raised the dues and i was never informed. i have been paying them on time every month, and they claimed to mailed out notices to me prior. association wants me to pay for late fees, interest, plus legal fees (totaling $13xx) to take the lien off. Tried to work it with the association, offered to pay the differences right away, didn't work, took it to small claims, have proof of every payment made, statement testifying letters/notices were never received, judge dismissed the case because they have no control of association policies, and in Washington Law, mails are assumed to be mailed if they said its mailed. association contacted me again, urged me to resolve this matter prior to escalating to superior court, and now i have to pay $18xx to resolve it.

bottom line, i know its my fault not to check periodically. due to my line of work, i have to travel alot. i thought leaving my parents contact info at the association, and my cousin living at the condo will do fine. the funny thing is, the treasurer of the association lives next to us, and he sees my cousin everyday. i feel like its a lose lose situation for me. i seek for legal support, i have to pay for consultation, possibly more if i decided to escalate.

sigh
It is unfortunately a lose-lose for you. I used to be the VP of my condo board and can tell you that we used to do whatever we wanted. I'm surprised though that they're prolonging this thing over legal fees. Just about all associations have a law firm retained and is part of their fixed costs of professional services. Basically what I'm saying is that they werent billed-out by the hour so why do you have to pay it? This is how they stick it to you when they want to. Just pay it.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0