BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #45
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Ouch
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Does not look like he had the bra in the correct place.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #47
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Nice attempted parallel parking move... Ouch.
      07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #48
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

What was that guy smoking? Jerking the wheel opposite of the weight transfer his car was in the progress of then turning against the skid while slamming the brakes.....

Been to a number of auto-x events and have never seen anything like that. Course, vettes are beasts on the track, but a HELL OF A LOT less forgiving then cars like the GTR or ///M3. Better be damn sure of what you are doing with those beasts.

Hopefully the guys was ok, sure he was. Car is screwed though.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #49
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

I purchased a 9-event policy through BMWCCA HPDE. Policy covers most HPDE's and Open track days.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #50
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281
I purchased a 9-event policy through BMWCCA HPDE. Policy covers most HPDE's and Open track days.
Quanta costa?
      10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #51
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Quanta costa?
Depends on declared value of your car and how many track days per year. Quotes are free.

http://bmwhpdeins.locktonaffinity.co...ult.aspx?cID=1

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #52
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

I just signed up for a multi-event with Lockton. I was hesitant to get insurance per event when often I just go for the day (you pay for three days). The discount you receive with the multi-event makes it all good.

Ironically, the cost of the policy is almost what I paid for street coverage of my old track car.
      01-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #53
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u3 View Post
I purchase my ins through Jacob Katz insurance, out of New York City. www.katzinsurance.com.
I just did as well. $400 for $70K in coverage with a 10% deductible.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #54
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Fortunately I can make no informed comments regarding whether there'd be any struggles to get the promised coverage, but my insurer - Nationwide - provides written assurance that my standard auto policy covers me during HPDE events.

FYI
YMMV
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #55
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I just signed up for a multi-event with Lockton. I was hesitant to get insurance per event when often I just go for the day (you pay for three days). The discount you receive with the multi-event makes it all good.

Ironically, the cost of the policy is almost what I paid for street coverage of my old track car.
I just signed up with Lockton for coverage at VIR next weekend. Found out that they no longer give a 15% discount for VIR events and on top of that now have a minimum insurance coverage amount no matter what your car is worth. So for the same car ($15,000 coverage) and same track (VIR), I am paying $43 more compared to last year.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #56
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Does anyone know if Track Day insurance insures you and the other guy, if something were to happen with another car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #57
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Lockton's website says they provide no liability coverage. So I think if it's your "fault" and the other guy pursues you for the $$$ damages to his/her car, Lockton won't help you with that.

I have NO idea what liability laws have to say about track accidents. You'll sign a waiver that purports to get the track and the event sponsor off the hook, but I don't know what driver-driver civil litigation would be like.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Lockton's website says they provide no liability coverage. So I think if it's your "fault" and the other guy pursues you for the $$$ damages to his/her car, Lockton won't help you with that.

I have NO idea what liability laws have to say about track accidents. You'll sign a waiver that purports to get the track and the event sponsor off the hook, but I don't know what driver-driver civil litigation would be like.
I think you're right about the insurance. Regarding liability, there is only so much a waiver can do. It is a dick move to sue other drivers, because we all go out there knowing that a small mistake at speed could cause tragedy. That being said, various state courts have held that the waivers are ineffective as to willful/wanton/grossly negligent conduct etc., and damages have been awarded in civil litigation for HPDE drivers.

I bought insurance for one day total, and net is (~$400) in the hole. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #59
gottagofast13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I think you're right about the insurance. Regarding liability, there is only so much a waiver can do. It is a dick move to sue other drivers, because we all go out there knowing that a small mistake at speed could cause tragedy. That being said, various state courts have held that the waivers are ineffective as to willful/wanton/grossly negligent conduct etc., and damages have been awarded in civil litigation for HPDE drivers.

I bought insurance for one day total, and net is (~$400) in the hole. Oh well.
Just joined the forum after purchasing an E90 M3 and spotted this thread. My name is Ryan Staub, and I manage our motorsports team at Lockton. We started offering our HPDE Insurance Program in 2008...a couple years after (unfortunately) I totaled my E36 M3 that I had done 100+ HPDE days in. I built this program because this hobby is my passion in life - I've been doing DEs for 11 years, I'm the Chief Instructor for the Kansas City Chapter of BMW CCA, and I've club raced with SCCA and BMW CCA for years. If you ever have questions, suggestions, or need help, feel free to contact me. I'm happy to help, even if you're not doing business with my company.

"Porschefile" is spot on with his comment. Over the years I've seen a few situations where waivers didn't hold up and individuals took on liability for claims related to motorsport incidents. We're working on developing a policy to provide liability coverage for individuals, but I don't have a timeline at this point.

The other liability item most people don't think about is damage to the track. When you sign waivers, everyone is waiving their rights against everyone except the track doesn't waive their rights against you. Barber is notorious for billing drivers for damage to their barriers and I've even heard of bills for sod/landscaping. I'll be club racing with BMW CCA at COTA next month and they've made it abundantly clear that drivers are responsible for any damage they do to the track.

Have fun out there and keep the shiny side up!
E36 328 racecar
Appreciate 1
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

^^Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. If an accident happens and a claim is filed, is there any difference in procedure compared to conventional street insurance claims?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #61
gottagofast13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
^^Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. If an accident happens and a claim is filed, is there any difference in procedure compared to conventional street insurance claims?
We (Lockton) average about 2 weeks for a total loss - significantly faster than most street policies. The big difference is that we don't require you to use an "approved" body shop that we select...you choose where the car is fixed.

The other big difference is that since this is a specialty policy, the accident isn't reported the same as street accidents...so it doesn't go on your record and cause an increase in your street insurance premiums for years.
E36 328 racecar
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagofast13 View Post
We (Lockton) average about 2 weeks for a total loss - significantly faster than most street policies. The big difference is that we don't require you to use an "approved" body shop that we select...you choose where the car is fixed.

The other big difference is that since this is a specialty policy, the accident isn't reported the same as street accidents...so it doesn't go on your record and cause an increase in your street insurance premiums for years.
Thanks again for sharing the information. I did my first track day in my M3 a couple weeks ago with a local Caffeine and Gasoline group - it was such a small group (< 5 on track at a time) I didn't pick up any insurance, but I'm planning to for this weekend at Motorsport Ranch (w The Driver's Edge).

Maybe I'll see you on the track someday!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #63
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Just joined the forum after purchasing an E90 M3 and spotted this thread. My name is Ryan Staub, and I manage our motorsports team at Lockton. We started offering our HPDE Insurance Program in 2008...a couple years after (unfortunately) I totaled my E36 M3 that I had done 100+ HPDE days in. I built this program because this hobby is my passion in life - I've been doing DEs for 11 years, I'm the Chief Instructor for the Kansas City Chapter of BMW CCA, and I've club raced with SCCA and BMW CCA for years. If you ever have questions, suggestions, or need help, feel free to contact me. I'm happy to help, even if you're not doing business with my company.

"Porschefile" is spot on with his comment. Over the years I've seen a few situations where waivers didn't hold up and individuals took on liability for claims related to motorsport incidents. We're working on developing a policy to provide liability coverage for individuals, but I don't have a timeline at this point.

The other liability item most people don't think about is damage to the track. When you sign waivers, everyone is waiving their rights against everyone except the track doesn't waive their rights against you. Barber is notorious for billing drivers for damage to their barriers and I've even heard of bills for sod/landscaping. I'll be club racing with BMW CCA at COTA next month and they've made it abundantly clear that drivers are responsible for any damage they do to the track.

Have fun out there and keep the shiny side up!
Thanks for self-identifying! Sorry to hear about the E36. A sad morning. You always hate to see something like that.

Last edited by WarrantyTracker; 02-10-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #64
gottagofast13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Thanks again for sharing the information. I did my first track day in my M3 a couple weeks ago with a local Caffeine and Gasoline group - it was such a small group (< 5 on track at a time) I didn't pick up any insurance, but I'm planning to for this weekend at Motorsport Ranch (w The Driver's Edge).

Maybe I'll see you on the track someday!
The Driver's Edge is a great group! I'll be down in TX this weekend but at a different track - COTA. I'm instructing all weekend, racing in a friend's E30/S54 in the fun race on Friday and co-driving in the enduro on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
Thanks for self-identifying! Sorry to hear about the E36. Check out the demise of this E36 in the instructor group at a recent HDPE in Virginia:

A sad morning. You always hate to see something like that.
If you exchange dakar for arctic silver in that picture, it looks almost identical to what my E36 looked like after it was totaled. Whether you have insurance or not, it's really painful to lose your track car.
E36 328 racecar
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
The Driver's Edge is a great group! I'll be down in TX this weekend but at a different track - COTA. I'm instructing all weekend, racing in a friend's E30/S54 in the fun race on Friday and co-driving in the enduro on Sunday.
Can't wait to get to COTA one day (with my car) - I was there with two of my brothers for the F1 Grand Prix last year. What an amazing experience! It's great to continue hearing good things about Driver's Edge.

Have a great weekend. E30 + S54 =

Just now bought my coverage from Lockton. Additional benefit to buying used - only cost me $240, taxes and fees included. Definitely worth it for peace of mind, if nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #66
BKarktic3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT Space Gray/Fox Red

Been running with Lockton policies for a few years now... find that I'm a much more relaxed/better driver when I don't have to worry about a 50k mistake. Even with 60+ track days and countiing. Looking at picking up a multil event policy this year.

only cost me 125/weekend for my e46M3, and about 325/weekend for my e92M3. Worth every cent in my opinion after watching owners with liens on their cars get flat-bedded to the paddocks where they watch their cars get dropped on their chassis!

e92 M3 Coupe DCT | Space Gray/Fox Red | VF620 | Forgestar | RD Sport | B&B
Appreciate 0