BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

08-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #45
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
When I track I put the seat way back and pull the seatbelt hard to lock it then move the seat back in position which pulls the belt tight against my body and shoulder and waist and it's locked in position. Does pretty well at keeping me still.

Like I said I'm duck footed so trying to hit both pedals leaves my knees touching each other and my feet far apart and it's super awkward so extending the brake pedal to the left would help a lot.

I looked for custom-performance pedals and they only make one for an 06 SMG transmission. Will this fit?
you can also train yourself to use the outer left edge of the brake pedal only, you should be able to do it just the turn of the ankle....feels weird but it feels normal after a bit of muscle memory.

i used to have a gas pedal extended aftermarket pedal to make heeltoe easier, i have since removed it and had to retrain on the street of even using less of the right side of the brake pedal. it felt weird. now it feels normal again.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #46
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
I thought most of us were harness and race seat.
I'm sure most are. I've never been.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #47
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Interesting. So what do mean by "clip it in"?
You know, when you clip in the seat belt into the seat belt 'receptacle.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
And how does the seatbelt stay locked for the entire run? I tried do it like this but failed as the seatbelt became unlocked at some point maybe on one of the straights. Thanks.
It stays locked due to (i) you jerking down the seat belt, which locks the cam above & behind your left shoulder on the B-pillar, and (ii) you then pushing the seatbelt (with your right hand) outwards from your body to hold that tension so as to keep the cam locked. (Even on the streets, if you suddenly brake hard and your body lunges forward, that sudden movement on the seatbelt locks said cam, thereby preventing your body from moving too much to the front). Then, when you slide the seat forward (with your left hand) until you're sitting up nice & close to the steering wheel, then at this point, you don't need to maintain the tension on the seat belt with the right hand any more because your upper torso now in forward position is enough to keep that tension & keeping the cam locked. It's not easy to get the length of the seatbelt just right each time I do it before the sessions, so sometimes it takes several tries.

Anyhow, you can test it out anywhere including before you drive out from your house.

I used to look thru FS threads for Recaro seats & 6-point harness 'til somebody told me about this trick, and have never looked back.
Awesome thanks bro. I tried something like that but it didn't stay tight/locked once I hit the straights. I'll make sure I practice your method a couple times before hitting the track.

Same with left foot braking...been practicing.

This is a good thread.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #48
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
You know, when you clip in the seat belt into the seat belt 'receptacle.'

It stays locked due to (i) you jerking down the seat belt, which locks the cam above & behind your left shoulder on the B-pillar, and (ii) you then pushing the seatbelt (with your right hand) outwards from your body to hold that tension so as to keep the cam locked. (Even on the streets, if you suddenly brake hard and your body lunges forward, that sudden movement on the seatbelt locks said cam, thereby preventing your body from moving too much to the front). Then, when you slide the seat forward (with your left hand) until you're sitting up nice & close to the steering wheel, then at this point, you don't need to maintain the tension on the seat belt with the right hand any more because your upper torso now in forward position is enough to keep that tension & keeping the cam locked. It's not easy to get the length of the seatbelt just right each time I do it before the sessions, so sometimes it takes several tries.

Anyhow, you can test it out anywhere including before you drive out from your house.

I used to look thru FS threads for Recaro seats & 6-point harness 'til somebody told me about this trick, and have never looked back.
I do this too but I just leave the belt clicked in the entire time. If you move the seat way back, then lock the belt, then push your torso forward keeping the belt locked, then move the seat up into race position it will stay locked since you cannot physically move your body back enough to allow the belt to unlock and loosen.

They also sell a seatbelt locking clip in device for like 20 bucks that does this by just pulling tight. It never allows the belt to go longer after its clicked in. It's also marketed as a way to get car seats locked in for babies but they side market a different colored model for racing. I forget the name though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #49
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
you can also train yourself to use the outer left edge of the brake pedal only, you should be able to do it just the turn of the ankle....feels weird but it feels normal after a bit of muscle memory.

i used to have a gas pedal extended aftermarket pedal to make heeltoe easier, i have since removed it and had to retrain on the street of even using less of the right side of the brake pedal. it felt weird. now it feels normal again.
My biggest problem is physical. I mean seriously my feet stick out like mad.

Like more angled out than: \o/

where the o is my head and the slashes are my feet and you are looking down at my head from above. This is with knees straight.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #50
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post

My biggest problem is physical. I mean seriously my feet stick out like mad.

Like more angled out than: \o/

where the o is my head and the slashes are my feet and you are looking down at my head from above. This is with knees straight.
oh im duck foot too lol

might just feel weird at first but with practice you can get it to work. i have vids from today it will show my left use pressing down on left side of brake pedal but toes still pointing left!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #51
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do this too but I just leave the belt clicked in the entire time. If you move the seat way back, then lock the belt, then push your torso forward keeping the belt locked, then move the seat up into race position it will stay locked since you cannot physically move your body back enough to allow the belt to unlock and loosen.
I do that too if & when the belt becomes loose after I get going - typically while street driving.

Quote:
They also sell a seatbelt locking clip in device for like 20 bucks that does this by just pulling tight. It never allows the belt to go longer after its clicked in. It's also marketed as a way to get car seats locked in for babies but they side market a different colored model for racing. I forget the name though.
CG Lock. Tried it a long time ago and didn't find it useful.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #52
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Fitting a wider pedal can be done, not sure how. Here's a Turner video with a 6MT E92 and a wider brake pedal. You could contact them to see if they'll share the swap details.

I also find the stock brake pedal too narrow for comfortable left foot braking -- feel all cramped in the right side of the footwell even with narrow Piloti shoes, and I have to adjust my hips/legs into a position I wouldn't want to remain in for long.

I'm killer with the left foot in my Jeep and F1 xbox 360 though.
I was watching some LFB videos and I have to say....this one was widly entertaining. That guy is working hard! Seems like he is using LFB to limit wheel spin in the wet a lot of times
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #53
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

The problem with Left Foot Brake is that while you are using your left foot, you can't step hard against the rest pedal to push your body against the seat to prevent your body from sliding laterally during a corner.

This often results in a harder grip on the steering wheel during cornering to prevent your body from sliding too much but also numbs your sense for traction due to a firmer grip on the steering wheel.

This is easily solved with a full bucket/custom seat with pads that suits your body contours and a 6 point harness to hold you in place.

For high speed corners that require a slight tap of brakes to stablise, LHB can be particularly helpful even in factory seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #54
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
The problem with Left Foot Brake is that while you are using your left foot, you can't step hard against the rest pedal to push your body against the seat to prevent your body from sliding laterally during a corner.

This often results in a harder grip on the steering wheel during cornering to prevent your body from sliding too much but also numbs your sense for traction due to a firmer grip on the steering wheel.

This is easily solved with a full bucket/custom seat with pads that suits your body contours and a 6 point harness to hold you in place.

For high speed corners that require a slight tap of brakes to stablise, LHB can be particularly helpful even in factory seats.
Those of us who use the stock seat + stock seat belt locking trick (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021844) are locked in tight and our body does NOT slide.
Appreciate 0