BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Speedventures ACS event

some of us were at this event with ACS. here's my little vid. i'll take pointers. not the cleanest laps but oh well.

Last edited by pkimM3r; 08-11-2014 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3
some of us were at this event with ACS. here's my little vid. i'll take pointers. not the cleanest laps but oh well.

Broken link.
      08-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

see if this works now.

do you have any footage would like to be able to check others lines, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You are unnecessarily early and thus given up a ton of terminal speed on a lot of the turns leading up to very long and very high speed straights. Remember fast-in doesn't equal fast out. Sometimes you have to learn that by giving up some speed going into a turn, may lead to a faster lap time.

Good example would be turn 3, 5, and I forgot the turn number, but it's the penultimate turn before coming on to the oval before pit-in. It may look and feel fast, but ultimately, you're slowing down in the middle of the turn, and thus at the exit of the turn you're slower. Especially the left hand turn before pit entrance...Lose 5 mph there, you're looking at SECONDS off pace on the front straight.

For turn 5, it's irrelevant whether or not you hit that first apex entering into the turn. It's far more important to hit that 2nd apex as you exit the turn. I would go wider in that turn, especially since losing 1/10th of a second in turn 5 may gain you 2 seconds and another 5-10 mph down that middle straight. Double apex line doesn't work with a car this big and this heavy. I'd stay about 2/3rd wide of the first apex, and carry a much wider arc through so that you're accelerating all the way from middle of the turn, be full throttle at the 2nd apex, rather than try to work your way out of the 2nd half of the turn while slowing down.

As for turn 4, the trouble starts with turn 3. You need to find a line that leaves you, again, accelerating as soon as you turn into 4. And sometimes, in order to do that, you need to brake more going into 3, and get the car settled completely when you are ready to turn into 4. Slow it down in order to go faster. It's better to "over-slow" for turn 3, get the sensation of getting 4 right, then decrease your braking slightly until you find the right "sweet spot" for braking. Going through 3 fast is MEANINGLESS. At most you're gaining 1/10th of a second, but again, you'd lose 2-5 seconds due to the struggles coming out of turn 4, which leads to another straight.

Notice all those turns are either in the middle of a series of combinations, or the beginning of a complex of turns that leads to straights? Work backwards from the straights and you'll find it easier to figure out which corners you need to take fast, and which corners are just there so you can set up for the NEXT corner.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You are unnecessarily early and thus given up a ton of terminal speed on a lot of the turns leading up to very long and very high speed straights. Remember fast-in doesn't equal fast out. Sometimes you have to learn that by giving up some speed going into a turn, may lead to a faster lap time.

Good example would be turn 3, 5, and I forgot the turn number, but it's the penultimate turn before coming on to the oval before pit-in. It may look and feel fast, but ultimately, you're slowing down in the middle of the turn, and thus at the exit of the turn you're slower. Especially the left hand turn before pit entrance...Lose 5 mph there, you're looking at SECONDS off pace on the front straight.

For turn 5, it's irrelevant whether or not you hit that first apex entering into the turn. It's far more important to hit that 2nd apex as you exit the turn. I would go wider in that turn, especially since losing 1/10th of a second in turn 5 may gain you 2 seconds and another 5-10 mph down that middle straight. Double apex line doesn't work with a car this big and this heavy. I'd stay about 2/3rd wide of the first apex, and carry a much wider arc through so that you're accelerating all the way from middle of the turn, be full throttle at the 2nd apex, rather than try to work your way out of the 2nd half of the turn while slowing down.

As for turn 4, the trouble starts with turn 3. You need to find a line that leaves you, again, accelerating as soon as you turn into 4. And sometimes, in order to do that, you need to brake more going into 3, and get the car settled completely when you are ready to turn into 4. Slow it down in order to go faster. It's better to "over-slow" for turn 3, get the sensation of getting 4 right, then decrease your braking slightly until you find the right "sweet spot" for braking. Going through 3 fast is MEANINGLESS. At most you're gaining 1/10th of a second, but again, you'd lose 2-5 seconds due to the struggles coming out of turn 4, which leads to another straight.

Notice all those turns are either in the middle of a series of combinations, or the beginning of a complex of turns that leads to straights? Work backwards from the straights and you'll find it easier to figure out which corners you need to take fast, and which corners are just there so you can set up for the NEXT corner.
thanks. may come to the next cca event. are you instructing that day?

also, the series of turns before heading into the roval straight, should i be lifting off earlier (around where the gt3 parellel parked), then pointing the car in and then wot, or do what im doing and just be wot?

i dont have any crazy data logging but sight and sound of my vid.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Yes I'll be instructing at the CCA event.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Yes I'll be instructing at the CCA event.
maybe i can request you as an instructor if i go?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Once you sign-up, email me through the event organizer's address and I'll do my best to make sure you're taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

anyone know anyone who was there in the white e92 m3? my buddies said that he was pretty fast.

wondering if he has me on his cam (if he has a cam) during session 4.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
see if this works now.

do you have any footage would like to be able to check others lines, etc.
Here's a lap from Harry's. Got a little sloppy in 9 and got held up in 12-14, but not a bad time I guess for a first time out. My virtual best lap was 1:53 so definitely some cleaning up to do.

Last edited by okusa; 08-12-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

cool thanks OK!

thats another member in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Who is it? I went to go and talk to him after the session but he wasn't near his car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa
Quote:
Who is it? I went to go and talk to him after the session but he wasn't near his car.
calse. (ss2)
jacobe92 (frozen red)
me (black e90)

we were posted on the other side of you in my garage spot.
Appreciate 0