BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #155
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
When you bring your iPhone to your ear, it brings up Siri, so Im sure they could change that

Now flipping the phone over not to take a call, pretty cool feature
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #156
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
I had every iPhone from day 1 and just got an S3 two weeks ago. Never used an Android phone before, so hopefully my advice isn't biased. I still have my macbook, ipad, and other apple products but I feel the S3 is a better phone.

Here's what the iPhone 5 doesn't have:

Display Size - 4 vs 4.8 is a huge difference
NFC - I use smart tags multiple times a day
Motion Controls - put phone up to your head while texting to call that contact, flip phone over to mute calls, smart stay, etc
LED indicator - for notifications without unlocking the phone
Expandable Memory - Micro SD up to 64 gigs, don't have to pay Apple crazy money for more memory
USB - much easier to "sync". No iTunes BS, just drag and drop like a flash drive
Larger removable battery
Haptic feedback
iOS vs ICS - too much to talk about here

And that's really just touching the surface. I don't have time to get too far into it.

I have been using iPhones for the last 5 years. ios is great for what it is, and so is the iPhone, it just feels stale. Maybe if Apple gives ios6 a facelift I'll come back after a year or two with my GS3. Right now though, I feel the GS3 with ICS is far better.
Bold items are the only things i wish were different about the iPhone. Especially the LED notification!

Motion control thing sounds cool, but until i used it i would be apprehensive, seems like it may end up doing things i wouldn't want it to by mistake. Hows it work for you?
I know the 4 & 4s you can change your settings and the camera LED will flash for notifications.

The 4s is my first iPhone. I've had several blackberrys, Nokia's, and numerous android based phones and I've always had issues with them.
Every now and then I power off and reboot my iPhone but that's it. Never any major issues and I use the heck out of it! The new iPhone isn't much of an improvement to me to justify upgrading yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #157
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
For a while back when RIM was still relevant, I knew a lot of people who wouldn't switch from BlackBerry ...
You mean like Obama? Oh - wait - he still uses a BB and doesn't know how to use anything else!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #158
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You mean like Obama? Oh - wait - he still uses a BB and doesn't know how to use anything else!
His BB was vetted and secured. Switching his phone is not as simple as switching for a regular customer.

Have you ever seen a secured government smart phone? It looks like a phone from 10 years ago.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #159
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
His BB was vetted and secured. Switching his phone is not as simple as switching for a regular customer.

Have you ever seen a secured government smart phone? It looks like a phone from 10 years ago.
^ This.

1) The gub'ment doesn't move very fast in accepting and acquiring new tech like this.
2) It's what BlackBerry did so well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #160
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I know the 4 & 4s you can change your settings and the camera LED will flash for notifications.
I never understood that. I put my phone facing upward on my desk. How does that flash on the back of the phone help notify me?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #161
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had 4S change to Note and was gonna go with S3 but just can stand the plastic back cover of the note neither the S3. Just so cheap, Went with the HTC one X. Not too bad but the screen is like plastic or some. It get scratches so easy even just in and out from my pocket. Now went back to the 4 and wait for my iPhone 5 next Friday. Can't wait to have my hand on it. it not a huge upgrade but does look great compare to some cheap Samsung S3 or note. Can not stand the plastic back. I pick the iPhone 5 all day long compare to any android phone out there. For me the iPhone match with the Bimmer better than the android as BMW never made any cradle for android phone haha. Poor android people
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #162
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:

Here's what the iPhone 5 doesn't have:

Display Size - 4 vs 4.8 is a huge difference
NFC - I use smart tags multiple times a day
Motion Controls - put phone up to your head while texting to call that contact, flip phone over to mute calls, smart stay, etc
LED indicator - for notifications witout unlocking the phone
Expandable Memory - Micro SD up to 64 gigs, don't have to pay Apple crazy money for more memory
USB - much easier to "sync". No iTunes BS, just drag and drop like a flash drive
Larger removable battery
Haptic feedback
iOS vs ICS - too much to talk about here
You're comparing an phone built by an electronics "puppy mill" to an intuitive computer, which happens to have phone capabilities (iPhone) -built by one of the most visionary companies in our generation. There is not one electronics company, Samsung or whomever, that has successfully centralized seamlessly our media and harnessed a cultural movement that can be carried in one's hand like Apple. Sorry, dude.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #163
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
You're comparing an phone built by an electronics "puppy mill" to an intuitive computer, which happens to have phone capabilities (iPhone) -built by one of the most visionary companies in our generation. There is not one electronics company, Samsung or whomever, that has successfully centralized seamlessly our media and harnessed a cultural movement that can be carried in one's hand like Apple. Sorry, dude.
Wow.

He was comparing two electronic devices and their features; a valid comparison to any sane person. WTF are you on about?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #164
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Wow.

He was comparing two electronic devices and their features; a valid comparison to any sane person. WTF are you on about?
That's the issue. The Iphone is not your typical electronic device. It has an entire array of supporting devices, media and whatnot that is intergrated with it, because of it, and by it. How many threads, news coverages, online articles have you seen for the debut of any other phone at this magnitude????

People always try to go tit-for-tat and critique things that are trivial such as a larger screen, but that's not what ultimately sells a phone, now is it?

It's like saying a ROUSH Mustang is better because it has more horsepower than an Aston AMV8 but, we know that's not always the reason people desire these cars. SMH
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #165
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow.

Thank you. I'm not even going to respond to him, this is when the thread goes downhill.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #166
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
It's like saying a ROUSH Mustang is better because it has more horsepower than an Aston AMV8
Which Roush trim? S3? If so, it makes a lot of sense if the person's only goal is simply to get down the 1320 faster.

You do realize certain features are weighted differently by different people, right? People can have an opinion different from yours without being wrong. I love how you speak for everybody. The 3.5" screen was most definitely a problem for me, typing on that bitch is ridiculous if you've got big hands that are any thicker than the bones themselves.

What makes you think people shouldn't buy a phone with the features that make them enjoy it the most? A bit ridiculous, no?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #167
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I'm not even going to respond to him, this is when the thread goes downhill.
Because you can't. This is not a personal war. Seriously. You're mentioning trivial things that APPLE is capable of equipping the iPhone with if they found good reason to but, obviously, the company chose against it for specific reasons. The talent is there. The technology is their. The materials are there, and to nitpick as if the most powerful brand on the planet is somehow behind the curve ball is laughable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #168
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Pure gold.

Keep going.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #169
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Which Roush trim? S3? If so, it makes a lot of sense if the person's only goal is simply to get down the 1320 faster.

You do realize certain features are weighted differently by different people, right? People can have an opinion different from yours without being wrong. I love how you speak for everybody. The 3.5" screen was most definitely a problem for me, typing on that bitch is ridiculous if you've got big hands that are any thicker than the bones themselves.

What makes you think people shouldn't buy a phone with the features that make them enjoy it the most? A bit ridiculous, no?
Have you noticed that people who have recently purchased these non-iPhones seem to be chiming in as a sort of reassurance to themselves that they made a better choice? I can see through it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #170
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because you can't. This is not a personal war. Seriously. You're mentioning trivial things that APPLE is capable of equipping the iPhone with if they found good reason to but, obviously, the company chose against it for specific reasons. The talent is there. The technology is their. The materials are there, and to nitpick as if the most powerful brand on the planet is somehow behind the curve ball is laughable.
I'll leave you with this.

I'm an Apple shareholder. Have been for over 10 years. The company is responsible for tens of thousands in profit in my portfolio. I have nothing against them and am writing this on my Macbook right now. I owned every iPhone available till the 5.

With that said, the iPhone 5 is not the best phone on the market right now IMO. That's my opinion, nothing more.

Why you feel the need to defend Apple and the iPhone to the death is beyond me. Try to embrace competition and new technology from other companies. Maybe you'll realize Apple isn't the only company in the game if you take your blinders off. I have no regrets in my recent purchase, I just figured I would let others know that I am happy I made the switch. My iPhone 4S is in my desk drawer, and I suspect it will stay there for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #171
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I find this very sad.
I agree with you on what apple did to us, and give all the credit to apple for the greatest inventions that they made.

But...what does that have to do in defense of lack of features that other phones have?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #172
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I find this very sad.
I agree with you on what apple did to us, and give all the credit to apple for the greatest inventions that they made.

But...what does that have to do in defense of lack of features other phones have?
There is no reason to defend anything. That's my point. You guys and this "Us v. them" mentality is juvenile. You know the pedigree of Apple, so stop fronting. You know .5 less screen or whatever it is yadda yadda really inflicts no measurable inconvenience on the consumer overall. Those are trivial matters that really reduce what these devices ultimately accomplish. Pointless dialog. The iPhone is not perfect but certainly no other smart-device is desired as much. I think that supersedes whatever the naysayers are trying to accomplish here.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #173
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Someone said in the previous pages that Apple should stop suing and start innovating. But the irony in that entire statement is that Apple saw it necessary to sue to protect their brand. The old adage, "Imitation is the best form of flattery" applies here. And Apple won to boot! Everyone wants to be floored or amazed at every creation Apple makes which is actually more evidence the consumer expects an awesome product! Did the consumer get amazed this go around? Opinions vary.... After growing up watching Michael Jordan, for example, amaze me on the court, his style became less amazing yet still inspiring and and still rich in talent? Did he get worse at his game? No! We as fans just kept raising the bar. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #174
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
There is no reason to defend anything. That's my point. You guys and this "Us v. them" mentality is juvenile. You know the pedigree of Apple, so stop fronting. You know .5 less screen or whatever it is yadda yadda really inflicts no measurable inconvenience on the consumer overall. Those are trivial matters that really reduce what these devices ultimately accomplish. Pointless dialog. The iPhone is not perfect but certainly no other smart-device is desired as much. I think that supersedes whatever the naysayers are trying to accomplish here.
I think you are the one who is defending apple.
People are just saying that they find other phone more useful for their need now. And those features you call "no measurable inconvenience" are very meaningful to majority of people and your comment is very subjective.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #175
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

So who made the pre order last night?

i got 3 down before they sold out in the first hour
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #176
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I think you are the one who is defending apple.
People are just saying that they find other phone more useful for their need now. And those features you call "no measurable inconvenience" are very meaningful to majority of people and your comment is very subjective.
No. People simply listed features the iPhone is without. There was no qualitative evaluation of why or how those said features serves them better. So, they too are extremely subjective. Cheers!

That's like saying a 90" panel tv is better than a 60" because it's simply bigger. Lol
Appreciate 0