BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #133
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Figured that. But on AT&T, there is a "no-commitment" option but once they know you're an existing customer, the link goes away. Lol. It's like they want to steer you toward a data plan.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #134
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

oh... well that sucks. I haven't tried it online with AT&T just yet.
      09-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #135
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Apple announced it would not sell unlocked phones at the launch, you usually have to wait a couple of months before that option becomes available

I was also able to order iPhone 5 and kept my unlimited plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
It's unbelievable you can't even imagine a situation where that feature would be useful. I agree, although it's not earth-shattering, it's a feature that I need and use multiple times a week.
same here, i use that feature almost every time I make a call
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #136
48Laws
Banned
Rep

How?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #137
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterz85 View Post
The iPhone 5 doesn't really compete against the SG3 (it can't really), it competes against the iPhone 4S.

Pretty much all the new things on the iPhone 5 are new things to iPhone users only. Android and Windows phone users have had all this technology and software for over a year.

An article listed the specs for the iPhone 5 vs the SG3. iPhone 5 has 8 hours of talk time, over 3G. Well the SG3 has 11:40 hours of talk time over 3G. Also the SG3 had the iPhone 5 beat in the rest of the specs.

But that doesn't matter, Apple has a loyal cult which will replace their old beat up iPhone phone.

Started typing a reply, but then read this. Couldn't have said it better myself.
      09-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #138
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
SG3 sucks, all i ever hear from people is how they don't like it and can't wait to replace it with and iphone.
I have one and love it.
      09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #139
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
How?
I did it through the apple site, after entering my At&t info, my plan info was on the right, said unlimited for data and text. Then just hit check out and that was it
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #140
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterz85 View Post
The iPhone 5 doesn't really compete against the SG3 (it can't really), it competes against the iPhone 4S.

Pretty much all the new things on the iPhone 5 are new things to iPhone users only. Android and Windows phone users have had all this technology and software for over a year.

An article listed the specs for the iPhone 5 vs the SG3. iPhone 5 has 8 hours of talk time, over 3G. Well the SG3 has 11:40 hours of talk time over 3G. Also the SG3 had the iPhone 5 beat in the rest of the specs.

But that doesn't matter, Apple has a loyal cult which will replace their old beat up iPhone phone.
I forget the last time I had to talk 11 hours on a phone or even 8 for that matter lol. iPhones battery lasts me the whole day and I have chargers everywhere. So its not that big of a issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #141
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

not trying to be a troll

everyone keeps saying the GS3 is much better then iPhone 5.

Can someone explain to me how? I really want to know. To me they seem equal and the preference comes in the OS.

Its like people who tell me the XBOX 360 is superior to the Wii. I've had more fun with the Wii and more games. Only games I have on my 360 are Halo, AC, and Forza. Both are very different and good in their own ways

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 09-14-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #142
48Laws
Banned
Rep

I'm good now. Black 64GB. Kept my plan. Sheesh'. Learned I had over 8000 rollover minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #143
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
not trying to be a troll

Can someone explain to me how? I really want to know. To me they seem equal and the preference comes in the OS.

Its like people who tell me the XBOX 360 is superior to the Wii. I've had more fun with the Wii and more games. Only games I have on my 360 are Halo, AC, and Forza. Both are very different and good in their own ways

think its a preference thing, just people get all crazy when they have to defend a product they bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
I'm good now. Black 64GB. Kept my plan. Sheesh'. Learned I had over 8000 rollover minutes.
hell yea, and lol I too have tons of rollover minutes
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #144
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Will pre-order mine tomorrow. Looked at a gs3, but like others said above, it's just the iOS i like.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #145
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Ah here we go. The insults from the fanbois finally start!

Well it got all the way to p5 first. That's like a record or something.
But the negative, anti-Apple comments started on page one. The haters are always quicker to jump with a negative comment, and then are amazed someone might voice a different opinion. Simply put, you are for or against the iPhone/Apple. Neither said will convince the other that their device, operating system or gadget is better than the other!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #146
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
not trying to be a troll

I picked up a G3 in the store today. Felt like I was trying to hold my iPad. While it may have a nice big screen, it is way oversized and really just too big. And no, I don't have small hands.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #147
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
But the negative, anti-Apple comments started on page one. The haters are always quicker to jump with a negative comment, and then are amazed someone might voice a different opinion. Simply put, you are for or against the iPhone/Apple. Neither said will convince the other that their device, operating system or gadget is better than the other!!!
Android fanbois stating that the pure hardware specs of the 5 are underwhelming is not haterade. They're true. However, once you go ahead and apply the OS to the device, the hardware specs carry less weight. This is normal banter on these subjects. I was referring more to the insults and inferred insults between each other.

Also, I'd like to clarify that conversation about Apple and conversation about the iPhone are two VERY different things. The iPhone is a device and should be evaluated as a device compared to the other devices available. Apple is a company. You don't have to like or appreciate one to like or appreciate the other. Apple sucks donkey balls IMO, stifles innovation with their patent BS, and pulls shit like the proprietary cable thing because they know they can squeeze that money out of all their loyal sheep. However, none of this should affect how you view the iPhone as a device. And you don't either have to love it or hate it; it can be looked at very objectively. Unfortunately, most people in the smartphone world do adopt the fanboi attitudes, so it can be pretty difficult to have a conversation with people on this subject on a purely objective (and reasonable subjective points) level.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #148
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
not trying to be a troll

I had every iPhone from day 1 and just got an S3 two weeks ago. Never used an Android phone before, so hopefully my advice isn't biased. I still have my macbook, ipad, and other apple products but I feel the S3 is a better phone.

Here's what the iPhone 5 doesn't have:

Display Size - 4 vs 4.8 is a huge difference
NFC - I use smart tags multiple times a day
Motion Controls - put phone up to your head while texting to call that contact, flip phone over to mute calls, smart stay, etc
LED indicator - for notifications witout unlocking the phone
Expandable Memory - Micro SD up to 64 gigs, don't have to pay Apple crazy money for more memory
USB - much easier to "sync". No iTunes BS, just drag and drop like a flash drive
Larger removable battery
Haptic feedback
iOS vs ICS - too much to talk about here

And that's really just touching the surface. I don't have time to get too far into it.

I have been using iPhones for the last 5 years. ios is great for what it is, and so is the iPhone, it just feels stale. Maybe if Apple gives ios6 a facelift I'll come back after a year or two with my GS3. Right now though, I feel the GS3 with ICS is far better.

Last edited by S_M; 09-14-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #149
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
I had every iPhone from day 1 and just got an S3 two weeks ago. Never used an Android phone before, so hopefully my advice isn't biased. I still have my macbook, ipad, and other apple products but I feel the S3 is a better phone.

Motion Controls - put phone up to your head while texting to call that contact, flip phone over to mute calls, smart stay, etc
LED indicator - for notifications without unlocking the phone
Expandable Memory - Micro SD up to 64 gigs, don't have to pay Apple crazy money for more memory
USB - much easier to "sync". No iTunes BS, just drag and drop like a flash drive
Larger removable battery
Haptic feedback

And that's really just touching the surface. I don't have time to get too far into it.

I have been using iPhones for the last 5 years. ios is great for what it is, and so is the iPhone, it just feels stale. Maybe if Apple gives ios6 a facelift I'll come back after a year or two with my GS3. Right now though, I feel the GS3 with ICS is far better.
Bold items are the only things i wish were different about the iPhone. Especially the LED notification!

Motion control thing sounds cool, but until i used it i would be apprehensive, seems like it may end up doing things i wouldn't want it to by mistake. Hows it work for you?
      09-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #150
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post

LED indicator - for notifications witout unlocking the phone
Larger removable battery
Haptic feedback

^The list can keep on going, but that's why I bought an s3 also.
      09-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #151
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Bold items are the only things i wish were different about the iPhone. Especially the LED notification!
For a while back when RIM was still relevant, I knew a lot of people who wouldn't switch from BlackBerry just because they had become so used to the LED indicator. I have to admit, it's a ridiculously useful feature.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #152
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
For a while back when RIM was still relevant, I knew a lot of people who wouldn't switch from BlackBerry just because they had become so used to the LED indicator. I have to admit, it's a ridiculously useful feature.
Yes. And in some ways, is still better at the sole function of a device for mobile email. But these days smartphones are so much more than just email.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #153
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Yes. And in some ways, is still better at the sole function of a device for mobile email. But these days smartphones are so much more than just email.
Yeah I agree 100%. It's too bad they had the captain of the Titanic at the helm (x2 actually).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #154
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post

Motion control thing sounds cool, but until i used it i would be apprehensive, seems like it may end up doing things i wouldn't want it to by mistake. Hows it work for you?
It's one of those things that boggles my mind Apple doesn't include. They have the tech inside the phone to do it, mainly the proximity sensor. And they could give it some iName and make it like they are the pioneer, just like most other things.

Its awesome to look at a text, then just put the phone to my head and have it call that person. If a call comes in that I don't want to take, I just flip the phone over on the table and it hangs up. If I get a missed call, text, or email, and have the phone in my pocket or on my desk, when I pick it up the phone vibrates to alert me. Its all very useful, and hasn't called or hung up on anyone by mistake yet.
Appreciate 0