BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

iPhone 5....

Thoughts? I'm not too impressed...

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

I think the changes are great when you consider there is no increase in prices (other than the rip-off carriers).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
I think the changes are great when you consider there is no increase in prices (other than the rip-off carriers).
true, i mean i guess from an iphone 4s user, its not a huge upgrade for me..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
its what was expected

ill upgrade like always since it costs me very little to do so, since someone at my office offered me big money for my 4S, so might as well
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
its what was expected

ill upgrade like always since it costs me very little to do so, since someone at my office offered me big money for my 4S, so might as well
do you know what the price is w/o contract?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Since the iPhone 4 I have been waiting for something new, and different. I have been disappointed since, Samsung keeps coming out with something fresh every year, and Apple keeps with the same boring shit IMO. Wish I just grabbed the SGlll when it came out and not waited for this iPhone 4ss.....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

I'm curious to know for all of you that say nothing new, what kind of things were you hoping for on the new iPhone?

It seems like the main recipe for a revise is: bigger screen, faster processor and lighter with a sleek new design.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
Since the iPhone 4 I have been waiting for something new, and different. I have been disappointed since, Samsung keeps coming out with something fresh every year, and Apple keeps with the same boring shit IMO. Wish I just grabbed the SGlll when it came out and not waited for this iPhone 4ss.....
agreed, but honestly I like ios > that android os
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I will get it because I didn't get the 4s and stuck with my 4. This will be a bigger upgrade for me.
      09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm curious to know for all of you that say nothing new, what kind of things were you hoping for on the new iPhone?

It seems like the main recipe for a revise is: bigger screen, faster processor and lighter with a sleek new design.
+1

The main drawbacks IMO were that the screen was too small to benefit from such great tech, and no LTE... Those were the two absolute problems with it....

And they've both been rectified. I still would prefer 4.2"-4.3"ish for screen size, but 4" is a MASSIVE improvement over 3.5". And LTE.... I don't think I need to explain that to anyone.

On top of those two things, the hardware has received notable upgrades across the board.... So what else is left really? Is this thing supposed to cook you dinner and give you a reach around while poking you in the butt?

I'm curious to see what happens to battery life though. Bigger screen plus LTE equals uh-oh. At least, that's what Apple fanbois have been preaching for years now. Now that the shoe might be on the other foot, it'll be funny to watch the arguments shift.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post

I guess to perhaps surprise us and take the performance specs a LITTLE past samsungs droids, it always seems they are just matching the specs to slightly the same performance specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

I'm still using my jailbroken (4.0.1). I heard it's worth it's weight in gold. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnnnzzz View Post
I guess to perhaps surprise us and take the performance specs a LITTLE past samsungs droids, it always seems they are just matching the specs to slightly the same performance specs.
This reminds me of the AMD versus Intel arguments back in the day, where people would use stock peak clock speeds as a lone measure of what was "faster" when in fact clock-for-clock Intel wiped the floor with them.

Look, Apple can optimize their code for a very limited set of hardware. This leads to greater efficiency which leads to not having to waste power on specs that aren't needed to run as fast and as smooth as Android on much more hungry hardware....

People need to stop staring at spec sheets and use those as a gauge of how the phone performs. Those are a halfway decent place to start, but you could have super awesome hardware in a phone and have it be a moot point if it leaks and freezes and just generally trips all over itself.... Plain and simple, iOS does not need anywhere near the same hardware specs to keep up with perceived performance on the user level. Add to that the fact that the grubby carriers insist on saddling the Android phones with crappy bloatware, and the manufacturers add their terrible, buggy, laggy, POS UIs on top of them, and it doesn't matter if you're using the flagship processor from the year 2050, it's not going to keep up.

Last edited by ragingclue; 09-12-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Couldn't be happier with my GS3 I got last week. Glad I made the switch, I had a feeling the iPhone 5 would be a let down.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

So i guess i'm still good with my 4 disappointing to say the least. I might get the Galaxy till apple makes a better phone. Now i'm going to have to relearn all the rooting stuff for droid...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl

I unno, I guess your right, but it just dosn't feel like theirs anything to get excited about anymore. It seems like I always know what's coming, but there's just not that one new innovative feature that makes me go, "oh dam, must have."Like before the iPhone 5, everytime time they changed the number, it was something, just different and nothing compared to Apple. To me, all apple did this time was order a bunch of new parts, and didn't take the time to create something fresh (now you can say, what else is there, but if I knew I should be the one working there), and are just playing catch up with Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
This reminds me of the AMD versus Intel arguments back in the day, where people would use stock peak clock speeds as a lone measure of what was "faster" when in fact clock-for-clock Intel wiped the floor with them.

Look, Apple can optimize their code for a very limited set of hardware. This leads to greater efficiency which leads to not having to waste power on specs that aren't needed to run as fast and as smooth as Android on much more hungry hardware....

People need to stop staring at spec sheets and use those as a gauge of how the phone performs. Those are a halfway decent place to start, but you could have super awesome hardware in a phone and have it be a moot point if it leaks and freezes and just generally trips all over itself.... Plain and simple, iOS does not need anywhere near the same hardware specs to keep up with perceived performance on the user level. Add to that the fact that the grubby carriers insist on saddling the Android phones with crappy bloatware, and the manufacturers add their terrible, buggy, laggy, POS UIs on top of them, and it doesn't matter if you're using the flagship processor from the year 2050, it's not going to keep up.
I agree with you 100%.

As an engineering student, I can really sit back and enjoy all the intense engineering that goes into all phones(including iPhone).

People seem to be going "meh", but if you look at it from an engineering point of you, you can see how crazy they got things the way they were.

1) LTE. Yes, there are many phones that have LTE. It is not something new. However, everyone knows phones now with LTE have horrible battery life. My friend has a Razr Maxx, and he told me he has to charge it everyday. The fact that Apple got BETTER battery life(then 4S) while upgrading to LTE is a big improvement.

2) Size/Weight. Look at all the "other phones". They are all MUCH bigger then the iPhone. The fact that Apple got the iPhone 5 specs to match the GS3 and making it thinner by 18% and lighter by 20% of the 4S is VERY hard to engineer.

3) Look - Looks are subjective, but I am not a fan of the big android phones in terms of looks and style. The iPhone just looks SEXY. Most(but not all) are made out of plastic and too big IMO. Of course, this is subjective : )

Also, as you stated, its not about specs. It depends largely on the operating system. My friend has a google nexus that is overclocked(and he claims to be faster then my phone), yet when we did some test for fun, my iPhone 4 beat his. We both opened up web browser, and went to an image intensive website.

Why did I win? Who knows? He had a better processor. Maybe the safari app is better written and so works faster/better(aka more optimized). Maybe my wifi chip was better so I was getting a better wireless signal?

Also, people can't expect amazing new features to come out every single year. The original iPhone was amazing because it disrupted the cell phone market. It changed the way everything was done.

Its like cars. BMW sells a new generation of cars ~every 5 years. People can't expect an entirely new iPhone(or Android or Windows) device each and every year. Like cars, they get yearly bumps/new things, but the biggest, and most radical changes, are done in large gaps as the technology gets there.
      09-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Let me see what I can get for my 4S
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
aka more optimized.
This this and a thousand times this. Optimization. Period.

Now, I have had a few Android phones and have partaken in the rooting, OC/UV, mix and match kernels and ROMs, find third party apps to replace certain sucky native ones, etc... In that case, I would 100x over take the flagship Android phone at any given time over the current iP* at the time. But OTOH you can JB the iPhone as well, but if we want to talk about JB iP* vs rooted Android, we're going into the whole modded versus modded, and if we compare a rooted Android flagship to current iP*, then it's modded versus stock, etc....

Stock versus stock, Apple definitely does have the best product on the market and they will continue to as long as they have the ability to optimize their code like they can. The Android handsets don't have this luxury. The WP8 devices are also building on this concept. Once the OS has the features it needs to compete, the user experience will be much easier to deliver than it is for Android because M$ is also buying into having a narrow scope of hardware to support. Those devices will also have underwhelming specs as compared to flagship Android devices, but will probably run very very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I'm in for LTE and bigger screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

oh fuck, guess im not upgrading yet
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Those are the upgrade prices for existing, eligible contracts?